Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA Vehicle Sales Tax

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given the uncertainty of the economy, I find it extremely plausible that the State of California will enact a moratorium on automotive sales tax in order to spur vehicle sales once the stay-at-home order is removed. This happened after the recession and I don’t see any reason why the state would object to it after COVID. Any thoughts?

I would not hold your breath waiting for that to happen... More likely scenario, Tesla offers up some free swag to sweeten the deal if sales are sluggish after we resume back to whatever the new normal will be. My guess, free supercharging for XX months or unlimited, or something like that, along with very low interest rates.

Given the uncertainty of the economy, I find it extremely plausible that the State of California will enact a moratorium on automotive sales tax in order to spur vehicle sales once the stay-at-home order is removed. This happened after the recession and I don’t see any reason why the state would object to it after COVID. Any thoughts?

Shrug,

I called my local county government tax authority to verify my property taxes had been paid on my home from my impound account by my lender (long story, wont bore you there). The interesting / relevant part is, when I called the tax authority, the recording stated :

"property taxes are due april 10th. This date has NOT BEEN EXTENDED".....

So, while possible, I doubt they will be giving back taxes. Maybe there is some sort of extra deduction for them or something later? Shrug....

I am lucky in that I can work from home, and my income is not impacted in the slightest by this... but a LOT of people are, and unless there is some mortgage etc relief, even offering something like that to people wouldnt help. Those that can afford to still even consider buying a new car do not need "relief" from taxes on the vehicle, and those who cant afford it now, that wouldnt help them.

The State of California sent a "Compressor Inspector" to my lab after the Shelter In Place order was in effect.
He had on a 3M N95 mask, and he was there to make sure the state gets their $175 per small compressor.

They will risk a life for $175 in taxes...

Newsom is probably blowing a fuse due to all the lost gas taxes, sales taxes, airport taxes, and hotel taxes.

• Funny
Reactions: rotiv54436