Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding is that you’ll get it as it nears the finish line in the factory. Then depending on transport it could be a day or two or a week or two for delivery/pickup depending on final destination.
Couple ways to get the VIN as I know it. 1. Once your order is in manufacturing(I read it takes 6 hours to make a Tesla Model Y), that VIN is matched to your order and that's when you get issued it on the next batch processing(same day). Then delivery is scheduled based on transport time to your location. 2. There is inventory destined for your are that was for some reason the order could not be completed to the original reservation. The SA(and you may have to keep bugging the SA - which i did almost every two days) sees that and manually matches it to your reservation. Thats what happened to me. I ordered white on 5/5, My SA called me on 5/31 and he said I have an MSM(with 15 miles on it) and a Blue but everything else matches your config, do you want it. Both of them are in Costa Mesa now. I had to complete all the requirements, and I was driving the MSM in 2 hours. So eventually my original reservation in white will end up with someone else having an EDD of 6/2- to 6/30.

Hope this helps. It is a hair pulling process, but I stayed on top of it.

Let us know if getting FSD removed after getting a VIN without a price bump works out for you.
Got FSD removed and the price stayed the same! Tesla support folks kept telling me that it will increase. Thanks to TMC threads, I read that others did not have an increase in price. Based on that, I decided to go forward with the risk that I may lose $1500 (well, I actually save 10k+tax). Fortunately, it worked out.

You get the blue button and then the VIN will appear. Happened to me this AM. This afternoon, I got my first call from a live person at the Tesla SC (Vallejo). Very nice. Scheduled me for delivery tomorrow from 9AM-6PM. At that point you'll get the prompt to make final payment on the Account page.

Strangely, after that call, I got the Text to schedule my delivery. Clicked the link and it says I'm scheduled for delivery 6/23 from 12AM-2AM. :) So that would mean tonight I would have a car dropped off while I'm sleeping (not). I know it's not right, it will be at a decent hour, but it's exciting to think about it.

Oh, and I'm feeling it for all of you still waiting. Hang in there.
It seems they are assigning the vins once the showroom received the cars. Interesting

Last edited:
Does anyone know, is appointment scheduling message an automatic thing or it depends on SA?
Mine is OOO till Thu and I haven't received any messages since receiving VIN yesterday.

Usually it's the local Delivery Center that will reach out to you regarding your delivery options & arrangements, even for home deliveries and final payment. If there's any issues or changes needed done to your account, then you will have to reach out to your SA to have those things addressed & changed.

On my last 2 Tesla deliveries, I never dealt with my SA and all of the communication was done between myself and the Delivery Center rep for my home deliveries. The Delivery Center sent both a text message and called me to confirm everything.

Usually it's the local Delivery Center that will reach out to you regarding your delivery options & arrangements, even for home deliveries and final payment. If there's any issues or changes needed done to your account, then you will have to reach out to your SA to have those things addressed & changed.

On my last 2 Tesla deliveries, I never dealt with my SA and all of the communication was done between myself and the Delivery Center rep for my home deliveries. The Delivery Center sent both a text message and called me to confirm everything.
I guess it makes sense to make a visit. By Delivery Center you mean a showroom, right?

I guess it makes sense to make a visit. By Delivery Center you mean a showroom, right?

The distribution centers usually know more than the showrooms.

DC's will be able to tell you how the deliveries are going, the SA will only tell you whatever you want to hear, or something random. But because they only know what their computer tells them, which is as bad as the website.

EDIT: got sidetracked again.. SA's can tell you "possible" production or "gate" dates (which really doesn't mean anything other than the dart hit a different date). They can also be helpful if they will assist with finding Inventory Vehicles.

You get the blue button and then the VIN will appear. Happened to me this AM. This afternoon, I got my first call from a live person at the Tesla SC (Vallejo). Very nice. Scheduled me for delivery tomorrow from 9AM-6PM. At that point you'll get the prompt to make final payment on the Account page.

Strangely, after that call, I got the Text to schedule my delivery. Clicked the link and it says I'm scheduled for delivery 6/23 from 12AM-2AM. :) So that would mean tonight I would have a car dropped off while I'm sleeping (not). I know it's not right, it will be at a decent hour, but it's exciting to think about it.

Oh, and I'm feeling it for all of you still waiting. Hang in there.
Happy to see that people in my area are starting the get VINs. Hopefully I will get mine soon too

Reactions: Jen_v and Maxters
In Fremont, the delivery center is a mile or two from the factory across the freeway. When we bought a used S in late 2017, it was an amazing experience. Car was delivered in the delivery room, on a gray carpet under the spotlights and a Tesla employee spent an hour to explain to me how to use the car. The 3 and the X: an employee drove the car to our house, let us inspect it for 10-15mns and took an uber back to the DC.

Just got the blue button! Yes, I finally got my vin: 215XXX
I just don't understand why we get so excited to press that blue button that is giving them the right to take away the hardware (radar) we have already paid for!

A couple of clarifications:

1- You get the vin when the showroom has your Model Y on their lot.
2- You get a text mssagee with an email asking you to login to your Tesla account, so you won't miss it.
3- Once you get your vin the delivery could be set for the next day, really!
3- They don't let you pick up your car from the showroom. Only drop off
4- Refreshing your browser has ZERO effect.
5- Delivery windows start from 8:00am to 11:00pm

This by far was the most nerve-racking car buying experience ever. however, once you get the vin everything changes. Maybe you've been waiting for this moment for the longest time. The last time I got this excited was when I passed my CPA exam!!!

Just got the blue button! Yes, I finally got my vin: 215XXX
I just don't understand why we get so excited to press that blue button that is giving them the right to take away the hardware (radar) we have already paid for!

1- You get the vin when the showroom has your Model Y on their lot.
2- You get a text mssagee with an email asking you to login to your Tesla account, so you won't miss it.
3- Once you get your vin the delivery could be set for the next day, really!
3- They don't let you pick up your car from the showroom. Only drop off
5- Delivery windows start from 8:00am to 11:00pm

This by far was the most nerve-racking car buying experience ever. however, once you get the vin everything changes. Maybe you've been waiting for this moment for the longest time. The last time I got this excited was when I passed my CPA exam!!!
I’m crossing my fingers for a VIN soon!

Last edited:
Reactions: CPA4U
When we bought a used S in late 2017, it was an amazing experience. Car was delivered in the delivery room, on a gray carpet under the spotlights and a Tesla employee spent an hour to explain to me how to use the car. The 3 and the X: an employee drove the car to our house, let us inspect it for 10-15mns and took an uber back to the DC.
The Y: an employee drove the car to our house unannounced and skedaddled back to the DC without contacting us….

Couple ways to get the VIN as I know it. 1. Once your order is in manufacturing(I read it takes 6 hours to make a Tesla Model Y), that VIN is matched to your order and that's when you get issued it on the next batch processing(same day). Then delivery is scheduled based on transport time to your location. 2. There is inventory destined for your are that was for some reason the order could not be completed to the original reservation. The SA(and you may have to keep bugging the SA - which i did almost every two days) sees that and manually matches it to your reservation. Thats what happened to me. I ordered white on 5/5, My SA called me on 5/31 and he said I have an MSM(with 15 miles on it) and a Blue but everything else matches your config, do you want it. Both of them are in Costa Mesa now. I had to complete all the requirements, and I was driving the MSM in 2 hours. So eventually my original reservation in white will end up with someone else having an EDD of 6/2- to 6/30.

Hope this helps. It is a hair pulling process, but I stayed on top of it.
So how does this work if your original order is 2500 less than the current market value and you have a configuration that closed matches just missing color? From what I’ve been told ANY changes will make you pay the higher price. It seems those that ordered in May up to date find a config that closed matches can just update and take delivery. And pay a difference of at most 500.

Pretty much everything you listed above is correct, except I will say this about the browser refreshing. Normally when your order is still far away with just an estimated EDD, your account will update once a day usually early in the morning. So refreshing your browser in the morning will let you know what your current EDD is, but that won’t change throughout the day.

I’ve seen, and personally experienced myself, a VIN showing up in your account in the afternoon when nothing was there in the morning. The only way to see this would be to refresh your browser throughout the day and then you would also great the blue button as well. This usually happens in the afternoon, at least the last 2 times when I saw a VIN added to my account. However, don’t expect this to happen unless you’re right next to your EDD.

BTW, congrats on your delivery 👍

Reactions: CPA4U
In Fremont, the delivery center is a mile or two from the factory across the freeway. When we bought a used S in late 2017, it was an amazing experience. Car was delivered in the delivery room, on a gray carpet under the spotlights and a Tesla employee spent an hour to explain to me how to use the car. The 3 and the X: an employee drove the car to our house, let us inspect it for 10-15mns and took an uber back to the DC.

Attachments

• 6E19CADD-0586-4B52-8B41-6F19BF46C48C.jpeg
    6E19CADD-0586-4B52-8B41-6F19BF46C48C.jpeg
    412.4 KB · Views: 63
Reactions: Greg007
So....I got VIN yesterday (4/14 order and profile), website updated to 6/23-30 delivery. Early morning I had a payment link. Settled all that. Then delivery shifted til tomorrow 6/23 but by 10am I got a call from the delivery guy and by 12:30pm (a day early) the car was dropped off in my driveway. Its notably better build quality (less panel gaps etc.) than our early 2020 MYLR, but it wouldn't be a Tesla without at least one interior trim piece falling loose (A-pillar trim isn't attached). Quick fix and it will be good to roll. Amazing car and worth the wait.