Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since Fremont appears to be producing front single-casts and rear single-casts, it will be interesting to see if any cars as part of this EOQ push have front AND rear casts (or possibly a megacast). I'm wondering if the castings piling up outside of Fremont are awaiting the 2022 model version (starting October?)

So for folks getting delivery in September, please look to see what castings you receive.

Thanks,

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | Order 07/31 | Profile 07/31
EDD: January (December, then 12/21-1/10)
DC: Stockton

As reported here:
“The Model Y made here and in Berlin will have a cast front body and a cast rear body,” Musk said. The Fremont-based Model Y carries a “cast rear body, but not a cast front body,” Musk said.
https://www.repairerdrivennews.com/...ture-will-differ-between-calif-tex-factories/

And yet, front casts have been reported here:
The Model Y’s front megacasts in the Fremont Factory were spotted by drone operator and electric vehicle advocate Gabeincal, who has been chronicling the progress of Tesla’s facilities in the area for several months now. Based on footage captured of the site, the Model Y front megacasts are currently being kept on one section of the facility. It remains to be seen if these megacasts will be used for customer vehicles, or if they were simply part of a trial production run.
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-y-front-megacast-fremont-video/

As of Aug 26, 2021, castings were still there (12:39 in the video):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L20EBfX_T28
The drone footage of the front castings in Fremont was taken on May 28th. Don't know if they were made at the facility or delivered there, nor the purpose.

So nice to have college football as a distraction to this forum (well, not really). Forgot about some of the other message boards that used to consume my time before hitting the Order button back on July 11.

Had a conversation with a college buddy and fellow Model Y reservation holder about what would happen 1st? I get my Model Y or my USC Trojans fall out of the top-25? He said “oh for sure you’ll get your car first. We are going to be ranked all year. I think we make the playoffs this year, we are going to be really good.”

To which I had a one word reply: “HELTON!”

14 days at 10/13-11/2 EDD, and we may have done just enough to fall out of the top 25 tomorrow. So you’re saying there’s still a chance??

The drone footage of the front castings in Fremont was taken on May 28th. Don't know if they were made at the facility or delivered there, nor the purpose.

Yes, and in the Aug 26 footage they are still there. It isn't clear if they are cycling through the holding area, or are just sitting there. Strange that they would be piled up for 3 months. And the piles on Aug 26 appear to be more disorganized than May 28. And there are a LOT more of them now (see the actual video links in the References section below).

Here is the shot on May 28:
1631465829306.png

and here is the shot on Aug 26:
1631465950963.png

References:
May 28, at around 10:23 https://youtu.be/exqMC_Lh-Qk

Aug 26, at around 12:59 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L20EBfX_T28

And they might be piling up in Fremont for the same reason that they are piling up in Austin:
1631468430901.png

In Fremont, they may want to have enough castings on-hand so that they can transition from stamped-steel to aluminum-casting without going back. I had read previously that a casting takes 90 seconds. If Fremont is making 1,000 Model Y per day, that's right about the limit (1000 cars/day --> 86 seconds/car w/ 24 hour shifts). Factor in casting machine downtime due to maintenance, then there need to be some piled up to make the steel-to-casting transition.

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | Order 07/31 | Profile 07/31
EDD: January
DC: Stockton

Last edited:
So nice to have college football as a distraction to this forum (well, not really). Forgot about some of the other message boards that used to consume my time before hitting the Order button back on July 11.

Had a conversation with a college buddy and fellow Model Y reservation holder about what would happen 1st? I get my Model Y or my USC Trojans fall out of the top-25? He said “oh for sure you’ll get your car first. We are going to be ranked all year. I think we make the playoffs this year, we are going to be really good.”

14 days at 10/13-11/2 EDD, and we may have done just enough to fall out of the top 25 tomorrow. So you’re saying there’s still a chance??
Welp didn’t realize they were voting today, already out of the top 25. Please #firehelton

Hi! This sounds like your profile may not be complete. Do you have any outstanding information to upload for a trade in or financing? Or are you waiting for approval/response from Tesla on either of those items? Usually the Prepare for Delivery thing pops up when something on your account has been resubmitted to Tesla. If all info has been submitted to them, you should see an update soon for accepting the trade in or financing terms. Something isn’t right if your order is still outstanding from December 2019! Have you tried calling your local service center?

I called local store today and was told that my 2019 order is for LR RWD, which is now discontinued. I was then offered to select LR AWD with 6k more than my original order. The funny thing is that Tesla didn't contact me on this, and my account still shows "Prepare for delivery", which kept me waiting all this long until I got help from here.

Reactions: DZMY
I wonder if the front castings at Fremont are an indication they are close to being implemented in current manufacturing? I have a order with an EDD in the 3rd quarter push. I'd love to know if it will have the front casting, or if I delayed my order a month, if I'd have any chance at getting a car with a front casting. I have not been an advocate of waiting to order for the next upgrade, but the damn things are just sitting there in Fremont in plain view.

Reactions: e645824

I am also glad for football season to be taking up my time..go Hawkeyes & 49ers!