Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In order to sell a 2022 model (VIN date code "N") Tesla has to send NHTSA a VIN decoder 60-days before the first car. They haven't done this yet.

In previous years, Tesla sent them the VIN decoder in August for cars sold in October.

Scott

PS they also have to assign a Factory Code to the new factory in Austin, Texas. Perhaps it will be "A", or perhaps "T" for Texas. They haven't done this yet either. Note that F=Fremont and C=Shanghai.

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | Order 07/31 | Profile 07/31
EDD: January
DC: Stockton
Looks like Tesla still hasn't filed for a 2022 VIN, assuming NHTSA Manufacturer's Information Database is up to date. Last filing from Tesla was Feb 2021. It appears they may be going back to Jan 1 model year switchover.

(Source: Welcome to MID :: provided by vPIC - MID , search name 'Tesla', sort by "letter date")

That sounds pretty reasonable, how far is your breaker from the the wall connector?
It's pretty close...within a couple of feet. They did a pretty clean job.
Did you pay for permit ??
No, we did not. DH took care of it and he could have paid another $200 for the permit. We went with Trout which has the best reviews of Tesla's referrals in the area. They told us that if we wanted it, we could get the permit at a later date, we could. Normally, DH is so anal about getting things like that, but he said the electricians felt reliable. Our inspectors with the city were such a pain when we got solar. In our entire community, no one else on our street got flagged for this one thing when they installed solar and which initially passed inspection when the house was built. My whole community had this same issue (totally forgot what it was since it was such a nightmare!!). Anyway, Tesla had to come out to fix it with some hack thing just to get past inspection. So I'm not inclined to give the city any more money than I have to. Let me know if there is some cautionary tale on why I should.

Reactions: seeb
Reporting back, delivery went great they were a little behind schedule but was quick. No issues so far on the car and a lot better quality compared to the Model Y I picked up last year around the same time. I wasn't able to check the car until after work but so far I have noticed significant improvement in quality from what I can see.

It's pretty close...within a couple of feet. They did a pretty clean job.

No, we did not. DH took care of it and he could have paid another $200 for the permit. We went with Trout which has the best reviews of Tesla's referrals in the area. They told us that if we wanted it, we could get the permit at a later date, we could. Normally, DH is so anal about getting things like that, but he said the electricians felt reliable. Our inspectors with the city were such a pain when we got solar. In our entire community, no one else on our street got flagged for this one thing when they installed solar and which initially passed inspection when the house was built. My whole community had this same issue (totally forgot what it was since it was such a nightmare!!). Anyway, Tesla had to come out to fix it with some hack thing just to get past inspection. So I'm not inclined to give the city any more money than I have to. Let me know if there is some cautionary tale on why I should.
I could be wrong, but permit protects you if something happened to your house due to modify/new addition.

I could be wrong, but permit protects you if something happened to your house due to modify/new addition.
Definitely a good price for a trusted electrician.

For me, I was quoted 3 estimates in the same range as each other for certified and permitted work here in the Bay Area -825-850. Conduit run of about 14 feet from the main panel.

For me, in a state where pre inspections for a home sale are the norm, you permit the work. It’s kind of negligible on price for a project like this, but that’s just me. It’s definitely some cost, it’s just not worth the corner cutting.

To me, it’s like the people that get a 14-50 NEMA instead of a HPWC. Yeah, you’re definitely going to save a few dollars. But you just bought a 65,000 car, so why cut corners on the first decision you make after? Again, that’s just me.

Reactions: e645824

For me, I was quoted 3 estimates in the same range as each other for certified and permitted work here in the Bay Area -825-850. Conduit run of about 14 feet from the main panel.

For me, in a state where pre inspections for a home sale are the norm, you permit the work. It’s kind of negligible on price for a project like this, but that’s just me. It’s definitely some cost, it’s just not worth the corner cutting.

To me, it’s like the people that get a 14-50 NEMA instead of a HPWC. Yeah, you’re definitely going to save a few dollars. But you just bought a 65,000 car, so why cut corners on the first decision you make after? Again, that’s just me.
Where'd you get your install from? I'm still looking for a 14-50 installation!

Tomorrow is another day. Looking back at today’s posts there were no CA VINs reported. Several of us are entering the EDD window tomorrow, should be interesting. Asked the 8-ball if my EDD would get pushed out tomorrow and the answer was “my sources say no”. So I have that going for me, which is nice ;)
Today is the start of my EDD window and no VIN yet. Last time, my EDD dates got pushed back a week with 28 day window instead of 20 on the 2nd day of my original EDD window.

OD: 7/18/2021
MYLR, MSM, 20”, Black Interior

Reactions: DrRamen
Reporting back, delivery went great they were a little behind schedule but was quick. No issues so far on the car and a lot better quality compared to the Model Y I picked up last year around the same time. I wasn't able to check the car until after work but so far I have noticed significant improvement in quality from what I can see.
Yeh!!! Send pics!

Okay, we’re normally by-the-book on everything and pay for the most expensive thing for quality (not always worth it) so this is making me rethink. They’re coming back out for some other electrician work. We are gonna stay in this house for a while…long after this charger is obsolete so that was DH’s rationale.

Well, I called my SA today and it turns out they definitely have some additional info compared to what’s shown on the Tesla website. He told me their “internal system” shows my order finishing production on 10/24 and arriving at DC on 10/26. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Small victories: My EDD moved back up today to 10/20-11/17. Strange to have this volatility so close to the finish line, but as long as it keeps moving in this direction I won’t ask any questions!

MYLR | 5 seat | White/Black | 20” | FSD (OD: 7/19)