Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it was way back on this thread or the master delivery dates thread, but someone created a master guide of all the things to consider, steps to take, best inspection walkthroughs, financing, profile completion, etc. Feel like it should be re-posted every few months, as it's a different group of people mostly on this thread. I searched to no avail, does anyone have it to repost?

My quick tips:
1) If you haven't worked out financing, set to cash and deal with it later. In fact, this may be preferable to determining financing because typically the rate is only valid for a set time and you have to re-do everything, might affect your credit score, might have to unfreeze and refreeze credit pulls, etc.

2) Your clock doesn't start until your profile is complete. This generally means there are no other steps you can take. Your clock is not running if you haven't set payment type.

3) DCU seems to often offer lowest financing rates. I can't remember why people ask for referrals (used to be $500 cash I think but is now $20 so like, I guess it's nice and all, but not mission critical). Tesla may or may not rate match. Conflicting reports. I know others have mentioned/asked about another financing, so maybe someone can add here.

4) At some point, you may get an email, text, or just check your account, see the blue button and VIN. You won't always be contacted all 3. You may or may not have a SA. They may or may not be useful. Giving them a Starbucks latte may or may not affect your EDD and VIN.

5) Not a real rush on insurance if you have another vehicle insured. You can use that insurance and switch over later. Some mention their current insurance wants a huge rate hike. Costco, Tesla insurance seem to be most mentioned as cheaper. Even still, you'd mostly just have to cover your inflated insurance for a month or whatever until you switch.

6) Accessories can be longer lead time. Especially if you want HPWC and have it connected. Plan in advance for anything you view as must haves.

7) There are a lot of checklists etc to do walk around and inspect the vehicle. Anything that is a delivery flaw get in 24 hours/100 miles of ownership.

8) Referral codes are dead. If you're buying now, there is no referral.

Probably more, this is off the top of my head. I literally think of questions every day that I forget before I can come and ask others. But this board has been really quiet lately.

FINALLY VIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I checked my app and saw this screen. When I click "Go to Account", my VIN is there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
EDD is 11/19-11/24.
What a thanksgiving Gift!!!

VIN 1.png

Just got that too. Honestly I got excited. What I think is it’s more likely just an app/ordering software update.
I just got the “we’re building your car” message. Good to know, because my 28-day EDD widow starts tomorrow.
Actually, this confirms what my dealer told me a week ago, and again yesterday: the car is expected to be finished the first week of December. ”All“ they have to do then is ship it about ten miles across the bay to the dealer, who then has to prep it along with a lot full of others, most of which see to be Ys.
Been waiting since July 19.

My EDD narrowed to 10 days this morning. 11-21 to 12/15 -> 11/21 to 12/01 🤞

FINALLY VIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I checked my app and saw this screen. When I click "Go to Account", my VIN is there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
EDD is 11/19-11/24.
What a thanksgiving Gift!!!

Congrats! It's a great Thanksgiving gift, indeed.

Last edited: