Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was going over my order today and noticed there’s a $1000 destination fee. I’m a 15 min drive away from Fremont so why are Bay Area orders even charged this fee? Maybe this has already been talked about somewhere here but I can’t find it.
You should contest this, and let me know if you succeed because I live in Santa Clara (a few minutes drive from Fremont) and my destination fee is $1200. Highway robbery!! On top of this, they charged me a $250 “order fee” for the privilege of placing my order on their website. Like I had a choice! Villains, the whole lot of them. Time man of the year my a$$.

You should contest this, and let me know if you succeed because I live in Santa Clara (a few minutes drive from Fremont) and my destination fee is $1200. Highway robbery!! On top of this, they charged me a $250 “order fee” for the privilege of placing my order on their website. Like I had a choice! Villains, the whole lot of them. Time man of the year my a$$.
I live in same county as you and my destination fee is $1125. How are we all seeing different destination fee when by definition it is supposed to be the same? Different order dates?

1. Destination fee is just another fee. See my favorite Brian Cooley explain it. I picked up my car at Fremont and had to pay.

2. At least the order fee is part of the overall car cost. But it’s easy money for tesla if you happen to cancel. It’s all about those dollar bills

Don’t have to tell me twice. You look online and see one price, then when you’re ready to buy you have another 8-10k in fees/taxes.
It really ought to be the law that the advertised/displayed price of goods has to include estimated applicable taxes and fees, similar to how much of Europe does it. Online, this should be fairly trivial as you can just require a zip code to display an estimated price. In person/print, they can just use the prevailing tax rate of the locality in which the business is located. I'm sure some smarter folks than me would have to work to write it up such that all the loopholes get closed, but yeah. Advertising pre-tax/fee prices is BS.

Reactions: Naija King
I live in same county as you and my destination fee is $1125. How are we all seeing different destination fee when by definition it is supposed to be the same? Different order dates?
the "destination fee" is required by law. its not Tesla. and the 250 order fee is deducted from your total cost of the car if you look at your order detail.s its a deposit.

the "destination fee" is required by law. its not Tesla. and the 250 order fee is deducted from your total cost of the car if you look at your order detail.s its a deposit.
Are you sure you meant to respond to my post? Not sure what uninformed anger you are talking about.

I know what a destination fee is and why it is uniform without regard to distance from the factory (AFAIK it is not by law, but by industry-wide agreement). I saw different posters post slightly different numbers about what their destination charge is and was asking about that. One poster since clarified that they have the same destination fee as I am seeing. Other poster likely added doc fee to their destination charge.

Reactions: Naija King and seeb
This may be a case of semantics. The order fee is added to the purchase price of the car and then the payment for the order fee is credited as part of cash or cash equivalents. Essentially, zeroes itself out but the purchaser is paying $100/250 extra, so I would consider that an additional cost to buy the car.

Source-order and lending agreement

Saw this today...

1639522034188.png

Reactions: SPACE_EX
Isn't the HOV Decal program ending on September, 2025? Did they extend it? What's the new color? I have so many questions and I couldn't find it on their site.
Yes, it will expire on 9/30/2025. They haven't disclosed the new color for 2022 (that I have seen anyway). I'm not sure if they will issue new stickers in 2023-2025 even though (as the program stands today) they would all expire September 2025.