Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received the same text. No vin number yet.

I’m on vacation and my SA said they can’t hold a reservation past Dec 31 and I could lose my deposit.

I don’t understand what is going on.
I was told I would be on hold if I don’t schedule delivery, so I just scheduled it for the 31st. I just don’t know how I will get a vin assigned, add insurance, make payment, and sign agreement in such a short period of time when my vehicle is scheduled to be “built in the next 2-3 days.”

I was originally supposed to pick up at marina del Rey center, and now it’s scheduled to be delivered at my home.

tesla is definitely trying to rush as many vehicles as possible before the end of the year

I received the same text. No vin number yet.

I don’t understand what is going on.
I received the same text and also no VIN number. My EDD is still Dec 31 to Jan 28.

But clicking the schedule delivery link is forcing me to pick a home delivery only between Dec 30 and Dec 31.

Not having a VIN and 4 week delivery window but forcing me to schedule a delivery in 3-4 days doesn't make sense.

I don't have an SA but I'll try calling the 800 number someone listed here a while back tomorrow morning. (Is it still 888-518-3752?)... or drop by Tesla Irvine tomorrow if I can't get a hold of anyone.

I should be elated, but I'm frustrated. How do they give us constantly pushed back, non-deterministic delivery dates, then suddenly expect us to drop everything to pick up a car?

Reactions: Tesraki and jackk
I am awaiting delivery in January (order placed late August). I am concerned that those of us taking delivery soon will be buying a previous year model since the 2022 upgraded version is not out yet (4680 battery, increased range, etc.). Is anyone else worried about this? I have not been asked to get ready for delivery but they did text me to see if I have a trade in.
all MY from November on are 2022 model cars.
No range enhancement is going to happen for quite a while yet - no competitive need and 4680 supply is insufficient.

The MY v2.0 is not yet being built. It may start in January, or February, or March.
Fremont may shut down briefly in January for a re-fit to make MY v2.0, which may or may not have 4680 packs.

Austin is not yet in production.
Even when Austin starts, they'll be doing maybe 250 cars a week initially, and the battery packs may or may not be 4680 based.
Austin may make MYP, may make MYLR, may make both.

Only Tesla knows. The blogs are all nonsense.

I received the same text and also no VIN number. My EDD is still Dec 31 to Jan 28.

But clicking the schedule delivery link is forcing me to pick a home delivery only between Dec 30 and Dec 31.

Not having a VIN and 4 week delivery window but forcing me to schedule a delivery in 3-4 days doesn't make sense.

I don't have an SA but I'll try calling the 800 number someone listed here a while back tomorrow morning. (Is it still 888-518-3752?)... or drop by Tesla Irvine tomorrow if I can't get a hold of anyone.

I should be elated, but I'm frustrated. How do they give us constantly pushed back, non-deterministic delivery dates, then suddenly expect us to drop everything to pick up a car?
After never really having a SA and now having to call Tesla like 5 times over the last two days, here’s what I did.

Google Maps any sales or delivery center. Call the number. Anyone who answers seems to be able to help. I did have better results when I used a local center than when I went with a DC in NYC, but that could be luck of the draw.

• Informative
Reactions: ryneezy
I am awaiting delivery in January (order placed late August). I am concerned that those of us taking delivery soon will be buying a previous year model since the 2022 upgraded version is not out yet (4680 battery, increased range, etc.). Is anyone else worried about this? I have not been asked to get ready for delivery but they did text me to see if I have a trade in.
Tesla doesn’t do upgrades at model year changes. As mentioned above, you will receive a 2022 car. The features you list will show up without notice. Do a search for the prior changes like new consoles and front side laminated windows. Happened in the middle of a month.

Tesla doesn’t do upgrades at model year changes. As mentioned above, you will receive a 2022 car. The features you list will show up without notice. Do a search for the prior changes like new consoles and front side laminated windows. Happened in the middle of a month.
I feel like people are missing the point of my question and focusing on correcting my understanding of model years. I am aware of Telsa’s patterns. It makes it simpler to call it by year and that was why I clarified the changes I meant. What would you call the upgraded model Y? 2.0? 3.0? To me it makes it easier to call it 2022 model since we all anticipate these changes next year.

My point is what if we take delivery and the 4680 model Y comes out in February given that Austin can start production any day now.

all MY from November on are 2022 model cars.
No range enhancement is going to happen for quite a while yet - no competitive need and 4680 supply is insufficient.

The MY v2.0 is not yet being built. It may start in January, or February, or March.
Fremont may shut down briefly in January for a re-fit to make MY v2.0, which may or may not have 4680 packs.

Austin is not yet in production.
Even when Austin starts, they'll be doing maybe 250 cars a week initially, and the battery packs may or may not be 4680 based.
Austin may make MYP, may make MYLR, may make both.

Only Tesla knows. The blogs are all nonsense.
This.

4680 cells likely won't be in production until late 2022 at the earliest. This is Elon time we are talking about. Recall, prototypes are easy, full scale production is the real challenge. Maybe not even until 2023 (They may focus on CT first, and then roll them out to MY later). Elon did confirm Austin would go live with 2170 cells initially iirc. Also, the Semi will need a ton of batteries they already have orders coming in for those beasts.

Reactions: Packfan
This.

4680 cells likely won't be in production until late 2022 at the earliest. This is Elon time we are talking about. Recall, prototypes are easy, full scale production is the real challenge. Maybe not even until 2023 (They may focus on CT first, and then roll them out to MY later). Elon did confirm Austin would go live with 2170 cells initially iirc. Also, the Semi will need a ton of batteries they already have orders coming in for those beasts.
While I largely agree, I'm of the opinion that they have been waiting for sufficient 4680 cells to start making MY v2.0 chassis.
Elon didn't say initial production at Austin would be 2170. He stated that Tesla had a 'backup plan' using 2170 cells if 4680 wasn't ready.
During the 3Q Earnings Call, VP Drew Banglino said they'd have sufficient 4680 qty to begin production use starting Q1 22, after being asked directly.

I believe they could have already begun those v1.5 builds (I call them v1.5 if using 2170) if they thought 4680 was too delayed. But they haven't.
The only mitigating factor in my mind is that NO WORD OF BATTERY PACK QUALIFICATION TESTS has been available. And that QA is the key to production.
Note too that BATTERY PACKS will be shipped to Austin (from Nevada) for production. Not 4680 cells.

What's interesting right now is the stacks of FRONT castings on the Fremont lot. (Rear castings get rolled inside for use pretty quickly).
The stack of Fronts seem to be shrinking. There's some re-arrangement, but seems smaller.
They had so many, they used to line the wall along the GigaPress machines, in addition to ther many stacks west of the presses.

Also interesting is the reduction in MY cars at the Logistics Lot. Far fewer than previous EoQ. But there are many more MS and MX getting shipped.
It won't take a major shutdown of the MY production line to convert to building MY v1.5 or v2.0 chassis.

All any of us have is speculation.
Tesla, despite what the blogs want us / lead us to believe, is VERY TIGHT with information.
Nothing gets out that they don't wish known. Everything has a Tesla benefit - Battery Day, AI Day, etc etc. were all about Tesla needs.

This.

And how do you know all this?

And how do you know all this?
Some of this is from Elon, some of it is my interpretation of what will happen based on Tesla's History and prior communication. Recall Amazon and Apple music are still coming as music sources.... Right? 🤣

Tesla secures another order of electric semi trucks

Model Y From Texas And Germany Initially To Come With 2170 Cells?

Tesla Semi is ready for production, but they need the 4680 cells, says Elon Musk

Edit: I would love for Tesla to prove my estimations wrong, and deliver the MY 2.0 in the first half, or even Q1 of 2022. I just don't see it.

• Informative
Reactions: jackk
Some of this is from Elon, some of it is my interpretation of what will happen based on Tesla's History and prior communication. Recall Amazon and Apple music are still coming as music sources.... Right? 🤣

Tesla secures another order of electric semi trucks

Model Y From Texas And Germany Initially To Come With 2170 Cells?

Tesla Semi is ready for production, but they need the 4680 cells, says Elon Musk

Edit: I would love for Tesla to prove my estimations wrong, and deliver the MY 2.0 in the first half, or even Q1 of 2022. I just don't see it.
Unfortunately, Electrek, Teslarati, Torque News, etc are clickbait centers and love to put hyperbole on all things Tesla in order to drag for clicks.
Their credibility is under 50% now that there are so many real world vehicles out there and real factories about to start production.
Recall that they were all saying production in Austin and Berlin would start early Q4 - or maybe late Q3 !!!!!!! Wow !!!! NOT
It was fine when Tesla needed to plump the pillow to keep their fan base going. Now it's tired.

A better filter is needed when watching Tesla.
Tesla is very tight with information. Anything released is to their benefit only; they leverage the blogosphere very well.

Reactions: OCJeff
I feel like people are missing the point of my question and focusing on correcting my understanding of model years. I am aware of Telsa’s patterns. It makes it simpler to call it by year and that was why I clarified the changes I meant. What would you call the upgraded model Y? 2.0? 3.0? To me it makes it easier to call it 2022 model since we all anticipate these changes next year.

My point is what if we take delivery and the 4680 model Y comes out in February given that Austin can start production any day now.

Depending on what your purchase price was (ie ordered before the big jumps) you might re-order a new one and plan on selling what you got.
You might do the trade whole, or maybe a couple grand shy.
But the value of the current MY will drop once production of the 4680 MY gets ramped up and volume is available. From both Fremont and Austin.
Give it 6 months. Tesla will have by then filled a chunk of demand and prices MIGHT soften.

Or, put your order on HOLD for a couple more months and wait it out.
Then be ready to Hold AGAIN when Tesla announces something else. It's what they do......

Welcome to cars valued as Personal Computers :)

Others have already said this. But here's my thought.

The day I decided to order a Tesla (I looked at every other competitor and drove 4 of them, so I'm not like a "Tesla from day one" kinda guy) I knew that there would be features rolled out after I bought it that I may or may not have. So, I came to grips with that right away.

Now that I'm picking up today and all those rumors came out? Well, as stated, from rumor to production in Tesla world usually takes many months. And, this is a CA room - at one point, Austin was going to prioritize production for the east half of the country. That ain't us.

So, am I worried that Tesla will come out with something after I order? No, I am not. In fact, the car I am receiving already has several extra features than the one I ordered, at the same price I was willing to pay. I'm totally good with that.

Others have already said this. But here's my thought.

The day I decided to order a Tesla (I looked at every other competitor and drove 4 of them, so I'm not like a "Tesla from day one" kinda guy) I knew that there would be features rolled out after I bought it that I may or may not have. So, I came to grips with that right away.

Now that I'm picking up today and all those rumors came out? Well, as stated, from rumor to production in Tesla world usually takes many months. And, this is a CA room - at one point, Austin was going to prioritize production for the east half of the country. That ain't us.

So, am I worried that Tesla will come out with something after I order? No, I am not. In fact, the car I am receiving already has several extra features than the one I ordered, at the same price I was willing to pay. I'm totally good with that.
Congratulations, Packfan! What extra features you had in mind?

I visited the Irvine DC this morning and spoke to a nice gentlemen.

He said they're sending the home delivery texts to everyone to see if they can push more deliveries before EOY.

I mis-read the text because it was worded in a very FOMO act now way, but I missed the part where I could reply back because I thought it was a bot.

The gentleman at the DC worded it better, stating it's an opportunity to get the car early but optional if it's too much pressure to get funding/insurance/etc in 3 days. He suggested I reply back and tell them I can't take delivery or change from home delivery to pickup.

I replied back and asked to change to pickup and was pressured to keep home delivery bc it's "just dropping the car at your home like a package". I told them that would not be possible and I'd like to inspect the car. I understand the convenience, but at least I can drop my Amazon package off at a UPS store for a painless return if I don't like it.

I haven't received a response yet.

So.... looks like Tesla is casting a large net and see who will bite on the FOMO act now while you can texts to make their EOY financials look better.

I visited the Irvine DC this morning and spoke to a nice gentlemen.

He said they're sending the home delivery texts to everyone to see if they can push more deliveries before EOY.

I mis-read the text because it was worded in a very FOMO act now way, but I missed the part where I could reply back because I thought it was a bot.

The gentleman at the DC worded it better, stating it's an opportunity to get the car early but optional if it's too much pressure to get funding/insurance/etc in 3 days. He suggested I reply back and tell them I can't take delivery or change from home delivery to pickup.

I replied back and asked to change to pickup and was pressured to keep home delivery bc it's "just dropping the car at your home like a package". I told them that would not be possible and I'd like to inspect the car. I understand the convenience, but at least I can drop my Amazon package off at a UPS store for a painless return if I don't like it.

I haven't received a response yet.

So.... looks like Tesla is casting a large net and see who will bite on the FOMO act now while you can texts to make their EOY financials look better.
Wow… when I called I was told I had to either schedule delivery or be placed in hold. So I was pressured into scheduling delivery. This morning I received the following:

Hi Abigail, it's Kyle at Tesla. While you may be scheduled for delivery, please know you are tentatively scheduled pending a car being matched to your order, the cars arrival, and inspection. We are doing our best to get a car to you by 12/31 but it may be delayed. We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Day 136 for me. OD 8/14. MYLR, White/Black, 19" Gemini, 7 seats, no tow, no FSD. Orange County, CA.

Was 12/11-12/31 for most of the time. Got pushed to 1/6-2/3 in early December. I hope it comes soon.
My OD is the same and we pretty much have the same car details but I ordered the 5 seater. My delivery dates say 1/6-2/3 too!! 🤞🤞🤞🤞 crossing my fingers for us!

Reactions: jennpeterson90

Depending on what your purchase price was (ie ordered before the big jumps) you might re-order a new one and plan on selling what you got.
You might do the trade whole, or maybe a couple grand shy.
But the value of the current MY will drop once production of the 4680 MY gets ramped up and volume is available. From both Fremont and Austin.
Give it 6 months. Tesla will have by then filled a chunk of demand and prices MIGHT soften.

Or, put your order on HOLD for a couple more months and wait it out.
Then be ready to Hold AGAIN when Tesla announces something else. It's what they do......

Welcome to cars valued as Personal Computers :)
I ordered mine in late August so it was in the middle of the price hike. I locked $54,990 for Long Range white on white with 19" wheels. Currently, that combination is priced at $59,990 so I am about $5k ahead. My understanding is that if I put my order on hold, the price would not increase the locked price. Is this correct?

Here is my take on the price hikes. I personally do not think the pirce will come down significantly any time soon. Tesla has enough pre-orders as it stands so I doubt they would bring the price down to $50k like last year. Maybe, they bring it down $2-3k. A part of the price hikes was from anticipating revived EV tax credits. Another part I believe is in anticipation of a better Model Y with a longer range (once 4680 battery is used), which would inherently be more attaractive and hence, more expensive. The fact is that even now without the tax credit, a similarly equipped Q4 e-tron or Mach E will cost about the same after tax credits. Anyways, these are my thoughts after having followed EV news for a couple of years.

Wow… when I called I was told I had to either schedule delivery or be placed in hold. So I was pressured into scheduling delivery. This morning I received the following:

Hi Abigail, it's Kyle at Tesla. While you may be scheduled for delivery, please know you are tentatively scheduled pending a car being matched to your order, the cars arrival, and inspection. We are doing our best to get a car to you by 12/31 but it may be delayed. We appreciate your patience and understanding.
Got exactly the same text. I’m scheduled for the 30th. But when asked if I’m delayed will I get another window to schedule in, was told if it’s ready the 31st if you don’t take it then it goes to the next one in line and you’ll be moved later. I said I just want it as soon as possible.