Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow… when I called I was told I had to either schedule delivery or be placed in hold. So I was pressured into scheduling delivery. This morning I received the following:

Hi Abigail, it's Kyle at Tesla. While you may be scheduled for delivery, please know you are tentatively scheduled pending a car being matched to your order, the cars arrival, and inspection. We are doing our best to get a car to you by 12/31 but it may be delayed. We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Got exactly the same text. I’m scheduled for the 30th. But when asked if I’m delayed will I get another window to schedule in, was told if it’s ready the 31st if you don’t take it then it goes to the next one in line and you’ll be moved later. I said I just want it as soon as possible.

Interesting. Sounds like they're lining people up for EOY push and hoping they get a good percentage through, knowing not all of them will make it.

I received a text back. They set up a pickup for Dec 31. The person behind the text didn't say it might get delayed if they can't find a match. I suspect it may get delayed based on your interactions with Tesla reps. It's likely it will get delayed. I have a delivery date set 3 days from now and no VIN.

I'll take the care if it's available, but hoping it somehow gets delayed to first week Jan 2022.

Last edited:
Update: The option to schedule delivery is no longer there for me. It was available yesterday, but now it is gone. I believe all delivery slots have been assigned and mine will arrive in 2022 - I like that.

Nice! Maybe I should have hesitated a little longer.

It's funny how we've all been waiting so long for a car then like 1 week before 2022, not receiving a delivery slot is a good thing.

Reactions: LodiEVFan
Interesting. Sounds like they're lining people up for EOY push and hoping they get a good percentage through, knowing not all of them will make it.

I received a text back. They set up a pickup for Dec 31. The person behind the text didn't say it might get delayed if they can't find a match. I suspect it may get delayed based on your interactions with Tesla reps. It's likely it will get delayed. I have a delivery date set 3 days from now and no VIN.

I'll take the care if it's available, but hoping it somehow gets delayed to first week Jan 2022.
I’ll go either way. My read was if they delay the delivery I keep my space in line, hopefully next week. But I got the feeling if I delayed it could be a minimum of 1-2 months. Not back of line, but not back of this push.

Reactions: ryneezy
My EDD has not changed: Dec. 28-Dec. 31, 2021. It is nice because I am of town through the first week of January. I do not believe we will be getting MYs v2.0, since it is way too early for the Fremont facility to retool.
I should’ve waited. I had same edd. I have delivery scheduled for 12/31 before 8am but still no VIN so it’s probably very unlikely I’ll be getting a car before the end of the year anyway.

MSM MY here, Originally had a 27-31 EDD, got assigned a VIN then contacted them to delay since I'm out of town, now today, it shows EDD 30-31 now.

I told them I'd be out of town until the 2nd, and it got changed to hold until Jan 1st. I prefer to get the car next year due to being out of town and just incase of the tax credit gets implemented.

Weird they took me off hold.

I ordered back in Aug so I dont think they can push me to accept delivery unlike others that ordered way back in March-May.

Reactions: xSCMx
I ordered mine in late August so it was in the middle of the price hike. I locked $54,990 for Long Range white on white with 19" wheels. Currently, that combination is priced at $59,990 so I am about $5k ahead. My understanding is that if I put my order on hold, the price would not increase the locked price. Is this correct?

Here is my take on the price hikes. I personally do not think the pirce will come down significantly any time soon. Tesla has enough pre-orders as it stands so I doubt they would bring the price down to $50k like last year. Maybe, they bring it down $2-3k. A part of the price hikes was from anticipating revived EV tax credits. Another part I believe is in anticipation of a better Model Y with a longer range (once 4680 battery is used), which would inherently be more attaractive and hence, more expensive. The fact is that even now without the tax credit, a similarly equipped Q4 e-tron or Mach E will cost about the same after tax credits. Anyways, these are my thoughts after having followed EV news for a couple of years.
Tesla won't adjust prices up or down until the backlog is brought under control.
I'm guessing 6 months after Fremont re-fits for the new chassis build, and Austin gets going.
At that point, they've got an annual capacity of 5-600,000 MY units (and rising quickly), and the backlog is down to a couple months.
Further, they will continue to have Market Pricing Power since no one else can deliver any volume .... of anything EV.

If Tax Incentives get revived by the Feds, then the backlog could grow. If not, it will stabilize.
My guess is that something will come from Congress, but not in the current form.
Way too rich, and the Big 3 (the money behind the Dems) can't benefit much from it since they can't deliver any volume. So it mostly benefits Tesla.
As an aside, Ford is demanding a $30K Market Price Adjustment from F-150 Lightning pre-order holders !!!!! They can only make 40,000 units for 2022. Maybe.

I'm a skeptic on range enhancement for the MY any time soon. I give it 12-18 months best case.
There's no competition (no one can deliver many cars), and 4680 production may be stretched. So why? To be nice? Doubtful.
And there's the issue of overlap with the MX, which won't be range enhanced. It just went thru a major engineering update and stayed with 18650's.
Just doesn't make sense to do +range on MY right now.

Reactions: Tezlagirl
Ordered MYLR, Aug 08. Was expected to have it around Nov-Dec, changed to Dec to Jan, changed back to NOV-DEC, and than JAN-FEB, and FEB-MAR, I was about to give up, and the most recent one shows Jan7-Feb4.
7 Seated white Ext, Black Int, RN1154xxxxx.
Can anyone let me know if I will have my car on time? It’s really bad waiting experience especially when I have my third kid now! Can’t even go out with the whole family now. Just can’t afford another car since the delivery date is super unpredictable!!!!!!!

Ordered MYLR, Aug 08. Was expected to have it around Nov-Dec, changed to Dec to Jan, changed back to NOV-DEC, and than JAN-FEB, and FEB-MAR, I was about to give up, and the most recent one shows Jan7-Feb4.
Can anyone let me know if I will have my car on time? It’s really bad waiting experience especially when I have my third kid now! Can’t even go out with the whole family now. Just can’t afford another car since the delivery date is super unpredictable!!!!!!!
Sorry to hear that. I have a mslr ordered June and my EDD goes as far as Apr 2022. Basically EDD means nothing until you can get a vin.

My EDD has not changed: Dec. 28-Dec. 31, 2021. It is nice because I am of town through the first week of January. I do not believe we will be getting MYs v2.0, since it is way too early for the Fremont facility to retool.
I'm not sure MY v2.0 is too far off.
Fremont is almost finished building an enclosed conduit from the chassis fab building to the Sprung tents.
Seems to indicate a new process is already in the works.

Further, the production line re-fit will eliminate robot stages, not add them, for the v2.0 chassis build.
Can happen more quickly than additions.

Tesla gains production time advantages and cost savings from the new build process.
Big incentives.

This is all, of course, wishful thinking. We have nothing from Tesla to confirm / deny.

I feel like people are missing the point of my question and focusing on correcting my understanding of model years. I am aware of Telsa’s patterns. It makes it simpler to call it by year and that was why I clarified the changes I meant. What would you call the upgraded model Y? 2.0? 3.0? To me it makes it easier to call it 2022 model since we all anticipate these changes next year.

My point is what if we take delivery and the 4680 model Y comes out in February given that Austin can start production any day now.
4680 isnt going to give you a MY with 400+ miles of range if they just start shipping those instead of 2170 MYs. It would be premium range-wise to MX and Tesla doesn't want that at a lower price point. They will be able to use less cells, less total kWh (less weight) to end up with the same range as current vehicles if they intend to keep the same pricing. At that point, the main benefits are the lower weight and higher efficiency (and quicker charging) but there will be no free extra range. There is a $6k upcharge for 70 miles and a second motor on the M3. You aren't going to get the newest tech and extended range for the same price as an order placed months ago. They will introduce a new trim/range if they do indeed decide to go for 400 mile range and charge accordingly for it. So unless you want to cancel your current order and wait (for 6+ months) for a new trim that hasn't been submitted to EPA for testing, take delivery of what you currently have on order and be happy with it. I have no qualms about missing out on something unknown for the future when I release my hold later this week. I ordered based on what was being sold in April and looking at the coming price increases so I am more than happy with what I am getting.

Reactions: jackk
4680 isnt going to give you a MY with 400+ miles of range if they just start shipping those instead of 2170 MYs. It would be premium range-wise to MX and Tesla doesn't want that at a lower price point. They will be able to use less cells, less total kWh (less weight) to end up with the same range as current vehicles if they intend to keep the same pricing. At that point, the main benefits are the lower weight and higher efficiency (and quicker charging) but there will be no free extra range. There is a $6k upcharge for 70 miles and a second motor on the M3. You aren't going to get the newest tech and extended range for the same price as an order placed months ago. They will introduce a new trim/range if they do indeed decide to go for 400 mile range and charge accordingly for it. So unless you want to cancel your current order and wait (for 6+ months) for a new trim that hasn't been submitted to EPA for testing, take delivery of what you currently have on order and be happy with it. I have no qualms about missing out on something unknown for the future when I release my hold later this week. I ordered based on what was being sold in April and looking at the coming price increases so I am more than happy with what I am getting.
Model Y in China already comes with 390+ miles WLTP not EPA but close). Besides, when Tesla increased model S range from 250ish to 350ish, there was no competition around, yet they did it. We both know this is all speculation on both of our ends. We don’t know what they are actually planning but my point is just because there is no competition in 320 miles range doesn’t mean they won’t increase range to 390 miles. You’re trying to rationalize Tesla’s next move but in reality they do many irrational things.

I will likely take delivery after the BBB bill vote in senate in early January (wouldn’t want to lose on a potential new EV tax credit). However, I am pretty sure we will see MY range increase this year similar to the China models.

• Funny
Reactions: tangible1