Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems like a bunch of resharing/relinking of articles. The Tesmanian and Drive Tesla Canada articles both seem to be leaning heavily on speculation. The closest thing to non-speculation is in the DTC article: "Based on information received by Drive Tesla, the automaker will be offering a retrofit."... pretty vague. In this context, retrofit could be an out-of-pocket expense.
Total speculation and rumor-mongering for clickbait. They want your clicks/monetizing.

This one may seem more possible than some, but given supplier issues and all the recall inspection time the SC's need to manage......
And If and When Tesla were to offer it, it will be pricey,.

Also note - many such 'upgrades' have been talked about in the past.
Check on how many actually happened. Few and far between.

As I said, I don’t begrudge you for cutting in line. I begrudge Tesla for letting you cut in line and taking a vehicle that should have gone to someone who has been waiting.
Enjoy your car.
Would you have wanted a rejected car? That is usually what ends up on the website. Sometimes just people delaying or flat out canceling after receiving a vin but often times, a car with issues so they throw it up online figured those who are impatient are more willing to put up with the issues.

I am pretty sure in the past, people with orders in a waiting were able to snag inventory vehicles and have them price adjusted to their reservation. As long as you don't place a new reservation, you are taking a car that could/should have been matched to you anyways. We did this with our SR Y. Bought an inventory car in PA, it wouldn't ship to us so they essentially place a new order for us (at a higher price) for one fresh from the factory and price adjusted it to match the car we had purchased. Slightly different but same idea. it was easier for them to get us a new car from the factory than ship one the opposite direction.

If Tesla has changed this, then that seems like step backwards if they are still allowing SAs to match these cars to existing orders as that is essentially the same thing.

On a similar note to everyone else, my 1/6-2/3 window narrowed to 1/11-1/25 this morning.

Would you have wanted a rejected car? That is usually what ends up on the website. Sometimes just people delaying or flat out canceling after receiving a vin but often times, a car with issues so they throw it up online figured those who are impatient are more willing to put up with the issues.

I am pretty sure in the past, people with orders in a waiting were able to snag inventory vehicles and have them price adjusted to their reservation. As long as you don't place a new reservation, you are taking a car that could/should have been matched to you anyways. We did this with our SR Y. Bought an inventory car in PA, it wouldn't ship to us so they essentially place a new order for us (at a higher price) for one fresh from the factory and price adjusted it to match the car we had purchased. Slightly different but same idea. it was easier for them to get us a new car from the factory than ship one the opposite direction.

If Tesla has changed this, then that seems like step backwards if they are still allowing SAs to match these cars to existing orders as that is essentially the same thing.

On a similar note to everyone else, my 1/6-2/3 window narrowed to 1/11-1/25 this morning.
So by spotting an inventory car last time, you got to cut in line, right? Good for you. Bad for everyone who plays by what we thought were Tesla's rules.
Again, if people weren't "snagging" these cars without waiting in line, you might have already gotten your new car.

I think there are sore folks here who automatically assume a car for inventory sale is a "rejected" car with issues lol.

Based on what I read here, a crap ton of folks have put off delivery until the new year. Reservation holders that have had VINs assigned to them and cars that were built after Christmas suddenly became available for immediate delivery. Why won't tesla just match these cars with existing orders? Because it is not cost effective to suddenly move these cars around the country. Tesla doesn't like to hold cars. So what do they do, they sell them based on location of the where the car is currently located and at current MSRP.

To say all these inventory cars are rejects is just silly. The cars were literally built 2 days before they are put up for inventory sale.

Furthermore, I have yet to see a single inventory owner who rejected their cars. Certainly if the cars were rejected originally for whatever reason the 2nd buyer would pass up the car too, right? Oh right, because we bought an inventory car means we are less picky. Lol

I waited for my 2017 Model S, and 6 months for my 2020 Model Y. I know waiting sucks, and Tesla does things their way which is very frustrating. Hell, I remember when I ordered my S, they gave me a loaner for 2 weeks while I waited for the car because I told them I needed a car. Gone are those days.

Reactions: DZMY and Heintzer
So by spotting an inventory car last time, you got to cut in line, right? Good for you. Bad for everyone who plays by what we thought were Tesla's rules.
Again, if people weren't "snagging" these cars without waiting in line, you might have already gotten your new car.
No, there was not a waitlist for SR cars. They only sold them for a couple months and this one was rejected or canceled by someone so it was going to sit on a lot until someone ordered it from online. Instead of building one to sell to someone else and ship the car backwards from the east coast, they left that one on the east coast and reassigned us to a new build. Everyone wins.

Your point is only valid in the current situation if everybody accepted the cars that were assigned to them, then you wait your turn in line until you get one. You are completely missing that these cars are being rejected. If they were being accepted they wouldn't be on the website. Most of the time these cars have been shipped somewhere so if they assign them to someone like you on the waitlist, they will have to organize transportation from point B to point C. Tesla is in the business of organizing shipping from point A (Fremont) to point B. Once they get to point be they are delivered locally. They do not want to ship to point C unless they have a full load. The logistics of taking a car shipped to Fresno and only matching to someone else in Fresno is not part of their matching software. That is why they put it on the website and list a location. If you want to buy it from somewhere else other than Fresno, you pay a shipping fee and potentially wait until other cars need to make the same shipping route to fill an trailer. It is why they wouldn't ship me a car from PA. They would have needed 6 or 7 other cars from PA needing to go to CA for that shipment to happen. That could take months. Would you pay $500 or $1000 to ship said car from Fresno to you in SF? You wouldn't get the delivery you paid for because the car isn't being delivered from Fremont.

By rejected, I mean rejected for any reason. Fit and finish, loan, delaying delivery, etc. I think Tesla gets themselves in trouble sometimes at EOQ by shipping cars to a location before a delivery appt is made. The person who is matched then cancels or postpones delivery and SAs are stuck trying to match existing orders to this car in a one or two day span before EOQ. If not one else can make delivery happen in that timeframe in that location, they car gets put online.

Those who financed, did you wait for the VIN to be assigned before applying for a loan, or applied 30 days from your latest delivery date estimate? My SA recommended the latter option.
My SA pushed me to accept the Tesla financing offer in order for me to get a VIN. I got one a few days after acceptance, but the VIN was reassigned a couple of days later. I believed I got screwed big time, but as an optimist, I decided to wait in order to possibly receive an updated Model Y.

My SA pushed me to accept the Tesla financing offer in order for me to get a VIN. I got one a few days after acceptance, but the VIN was reassigned a couple of days later. I believed I got screwed big time, but as an optimist, I decided to wait in order to possibly receive an updated Model Y.
Yikes. No way I’m letting anyone push me to do anything 🤣. They can make suggestions, cool.. but I haven’t had them be pushy yet.

I'm in the same boat as you. When did you click on the "I'm ready" button?

Within 6 hours today I went from Click Ready>Receive VIN> Schedule Delivery> New Delivery Advisor Called to cover delivery basics + send MVPA > apply for financing (DCU) > approved for financing.

Busy day. At this point, once check is in mail to tesla tomorrow am, I will send the new Delivery Advisor tracking number and pic of check and then handover a check for the remainder at delivery. Now to order accessories!!

Reactions: ryneezy and xSCMx
By rejected, I mean rejected for any reason. Fit and finish, loan, delaying delivery, etc. I think Tesla gets themselves in trouble sometimes at EOQ by shipping cars to a location before a delivery appt is made. The person who is matched then cancels or postpones delivery and SAs are stuck trying to match existing orders to this car in a one or two day span before EOQ. If not one else can make delivery happen in that timeframe in that location, they car gets put online.
if cars are rejected for any reason besides legit damage/QA issues, they should be immediately assigned to the next waiting customer in the region where the car has already been shipped. Not put up for sale to whoever’s lucky enough to check existing inventory at the right second.

Reactions: MarkLC
if cars are rejected for any reason besides legit damage/QA issues, they should be immediately assigned to the next waiting customer in the region where the car has already been shipped. Not put up for sale to whoever’s lucky enough to check existing inventory at the right second.
How do you know this isn’t what happens? They check orders at that delivery center and if there isn’t a matching order it goes online? They assign people to specific delivery centers for a reason. Just because you may be willing to drive 100 miles to pick up a car since you feel you are next in line doesn’t mean everyone does. Tesla obviously doesn’t cater to each customer individually. We know cars got stuck in the Central Valley with the grapevine closed at the end of the year and in the ever stupider push to get every last car sold in a quarter, they may have offered some of those cars online hoping for a quick sale. why? 10% increase in market value. Unless you can come up with a reason why Tesla should ignore the market reaction to how they have always and will continue to do business, then that is so,etching you have to put up with. Constantly wishing they did business differently isn’t going to accomplish anything other than sour your opinion of Tesla. They don’t care about you or me or anyone else’s other than making money. If you don’t agree with this, maybe there are other EVs that might suit you better.

How do you know this isn’t what happens? They check orders at that delivery center and if there isn’t a matching order it goes online? They assign people to specific delivery centers for a reason. Just because you may be willing to drive 100 miles to pick up a car since you feel you are next in line doesn’t mean everyone does. Tesla obviously doesn’t cater to each customer individually. We know cars got stuck in the Central Valley with the grapevine closed at the end of the year and in the ever stupider push to get every last car sold in a quarter, they may have offered some of those cars online hoping for a quick sale. why? 10% increase in market value. Unless you can come up with a reason why Tesla should ignore the market reaction to how they have always and will continue to do business, then that is so,etching you have to put up with. Constantly wishing they did business differently isn’t going to accomplish anything other than sour your opinion of Tesla. They don’t care about you or me or anyone else’s other than making money. If you don’t agree with this, maybe there are other EVs that might suit you better.
I’ve seen 3 cars that match my spec in “Los Angeles” after someone recently posted about existing inventory availability - I find it hard to believe there isn’t a match already out there, even if you narrow it to a specific delivery location (e.g., Burbank). And frankly, if we’re talking about a metro area, they should be willing to move it to a nearby delivery center if there is a matching customer waiting.

Edit: and you’re right about my opinion on this company being sour - at least their fulfillment and customer service practices. Doesn’t mean the product & charging network aren’t still leaps ahead. Also won’t stop me from moaning about the stuff they do poorly! Sorry!

Last edited:
I’ve seen 3 cars that match my spec in “Los Angeles” after someone recently posted about existing inventory availability - I find it hard to believe there isn’t a match already out there, even if you narrow it to a specific delivery location (e.g., Burbank). And frankly, if we’re talking about a metro area, they should be willing to move it to a nearby delivery center if there is a matching customer waiting.

Edit: and you’re right about my opinion on this company being sour - at least their fulfillment and customer service practices. Doesn’t mean the product & charging network aren’t still leaps ahead. Also won’t stop me from moaning about the stuff they do poorly! Sorry!

For Tesla, they rather sell the car at current MSRP rather than match to a known reservation for lower MSRP. I guess the way they see it, your place in line is still there; but if someone wants to buy an available inventory car at current price--to where they don't have to move the car, they would gladly make it available to sell.

I'm sure they are equally frustrated at customers that constantly delay their deliveries too. They have no system of storing cars and shuffling delayed VINs to match reservation holders at possibly other locations and coordinating delivery and drivers at this time is not easy either.

BMW has a similar issue at their plant in South Carolina - finished cars are sitting there for weeks at a time waiting for outsourced delivery trucks/drivers.

/I see in your signature that you had a VIN assigned, but you passed based on holiday travel. I bet one of those inventory cars was the one you passed on!

Just got the text to schedule delivery, got the VIN assigned yesterday. Interesting they are doing home delivery instead of picking up at the Tesla office in Irvine I picked up my Model 3 this summer. Unfortunately the address they have in the scheduling app is an old home address and can't seem to get a human to respond to the texts sending me updates. Guess I will call the local Tesla sales office when they open in a few hours.

/I see in your signature that you had a VIN assigned, but you passed based on holiday travel. I bet one of those inventory cars was the one you passed on!
It'd be very baffling if they didn't find a taker for that VIN, and didn't assign it back to me (or another waiting customer). I was given two delivery day options in the middle of the holidays (mind you when I ordered, delivery was estimated for January so I made holiday plans under that assumption), and my SA at the time told me not to worry if I had to pass -- I'd likely get a car in early January. My EDD after the hold was released was originally March, now Feb-March. I would have tried to change my flight back home to take delivery if he had told me I'd be looking at March. And I communicated that concern to him clearly at the time.