Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, here's my full summary. I'll try to hit all points and pitfalls.

I ordered in early August (profile complete about 3-4 days later), received the car (Colma, 40 miles from Fremont) on December 28th.

Ordering:
I, personally, loved the Tesla ordering process. Except that, and this will be a theme, they did not give you enough information at all. Not even close. So, test drives (which I guess are harder to come by now) were great. I tested (Walnut Creek, CA) a MYP and MYLR on consecutive visits. I also drove a Ford Mustang Mach E, Polestar 2, and Volvo XC40. I considered but did not drive the Audi e-tron, Volkswaged ID4, and BMW iX. My parents drive a Leaf and I have some experience and feedback with it. So I looked around. To be honest, I favored any car but the Tesla going in. I don't really like Elon Musk, I think Teslaheads are douchebags, there are too many fanboys inflating the stock for their own gain, and I take the side of the county with regards to COVID-19 disputes. So look, you can take that as you want. I wasn't prone to Tesla.

On the first test drive, I was really intrigued. I actually like some of the things others complain about. Simplicity of design and UX and UI is appealing to me. Frankly, driving the MYLR and Mach E back to back made the Ford look like a toy. I know it gets a TON of praise, but navigating that OS and using their various buttons and knobs just felt cheap and toy like compared to the Model Y. And yeah look, the first time you punch the accelerator in the MYP or use FSD, it's a pretty giddy experience. So I loved the car and moved to wanting to buy it, not because I believe in the dream, but because to me, it was the superior car.

So let's talk ordering and post order process. Loved the ordering. Throughout two test drives, it was EXTREMELY low pressure. Great. Nice. THere is also no need to pressure anyone, so it's basic market forces at work. But it's nice to not go through the undercoating and would you like to drive it well Bob will go with you that exists in the dealer model. Nice to see that getting broken across the board, but Tesla is above and beyond.

Ordering through the website a breeze. Click, enter click done. Really nice. And no pressure to do it live. So all good.

That's where it gets bad. There was literally nobody, and I mean NOBODY that followed up with me. At all. Zero. Zilch. And, turns out, I hadn't COMPLETED MY PROFILE which is everything. So, luckily, I found this board and did that pretty quickly. But this board is FULL of stories of people that didn't know that, or missed some step, or didn't know to switch to cash. That's pretty poor for a buying experience. I have some theory that if you buy in person you get more support than virtual, but that's just a guess.

LESSON FROM BUYING: Complete your profile. Be sure it's complete. Call and make sure. Switch to cash if you're financing of any kind (it is VERY easy to switch back, covered below). Your profile date is your wait date. Don't mess this up. Get it ready.

Waiting:
So, I watched every video. I hit these threads. I obsessed. The things I didn't do. Call SAs and freak out. Look, Tesla said they'd get me the car in December from the outset. My mind was always if they hit that they and I are happy. And, in the end, it was all true. With no cajoling, hassling, haggling, etc. So, maybe just stay chill. The ONLY part I freaked about was when they started pushing me MUCH later than that. Like every other wait promise i heard, it was just mythical. Also, I ordered zero accessories. Look, it takes like a week to get them. You can wait, and it will help prioritize what you really need. I thought I'd want a console organizer. Three weeks later I can't see why. I only use one console storage and can reach spare masks, wipes, and hand sanitizer easily. Some of y'all are pack rats and that's ok. You might want to have those read.y

LESSON FROM WAITING: Don't obsess as long as you are in the window Tesla told you. And certainly, CERTAINLY don't follow the EDDs or SA windows. It's unhealthy, and they are all mythical creatures.

The MOMENT:
So here's how it went down. My EDD gets pushed back. I think fine, not happening this year. The tweet that Tesla is moving a LOT of EOQ cars. The updates on here that others are getting theirs. Heres how my notifications went. See update in the app first. "we are making updates" - check the online account. It has details. No text. No call. Fill out forms to accept and say yes, i want to proceed. Then, the app starts showing updates. Complete insurance (already done). Next step, complete financing. BUT...this is CHRISTMAS EVE. At like 4PM. Not an easy time for a match. We call Tesla. They answer. Guy says it's "probably ok" (thanks bro) because they know it's a holiday and financing is going to be tough to line up. But the call ends with him reminding me they'll only hold the car 3 days, and I am sweating and pulse through the roof. At this point though, no real match or countdown.

Check again. VIN. Still no "set up your appointment."

So, I call Tesla. I'm getting third party financing. No problem, who. DCU. Ok, switched. Honestly the call took maybe 50 seconds including dialing. I called the number of the Colma entry on Google maps. It all seems like the same system. Maybe it isn't. More on that later. Loved the calls to Tesla, great experience.

Call DCU. They pre-approve a loan (bear in mind, I hadn't called DCU before because I didn't want to unfreeze credit). Honestly, this step was easy anyway. Had a referral. They say create an account online over the weekend. OK, cool. Do that Saturday...but....

Last step Friday. I finally get a text. "Schedule your pickup." I follow the link. Lots of time slots. I choose basically the latest, Tuesday at 5PM. I want to make sure we have financing locked in.

Back to DCU...

While my wife is creating the digital account, the whole system freaks. It says she has an account, but needs to reset the password. she does. It says she will pick up her account there. It won't. We kind of start getting worried, so i create an account as a backup.

Note: by this point, we've done the due diligence. DCU is by far the cheapest loan you are going to get anywhere. Honestly. Call around. Tell me if you get 1.24% or close. You won't. That rate saves us about 2600 over the life of the loan. So to us, it's worth it. Maybe you'd like the convenience. But also, don't get matched on Christmas Eve and this story has at LEAST 24 hours extra leeway.

If you are new to DCU, you need to become a member. We did that by joining one of their afifiliated organizations and gave $10 to education. A good cause. You have to indicate this when you open the account. Now, we are waiting for them to open on Monday.

When they open, we are up at 6:00 PST. We quickly remedy account issue and link them. And then, they transfer us to loans. Woman goes through everything. And we should hear about check being sent by EOD (reminder: our pickup is next day and we think we need an overnight check in hand for pickup). Well, wife calls EOD. They say it's not ready, the loan is all wrong, and we should call back in the morning. This was a low point.

Also that day, we finally sorted out our trade. Carvana came with an amazing offer (1400 over all competitors, and in range of what people were getting private party locally). So, we took an amount of that, and decided to make life easy. We made a down payment through Plaid directly to Tesla. Maybe it's because we are dumb and haven't bought a car in a long time, but we thought Tesla would only take one check and we'd have to make the down payment to DCU. Not so, make that to Tesla. Plaid is easy, though I get why some are hesitant. Again, we had to make some step of this easy since DCU was making us sweat. End of Monday, call again to Tesla. We can show proof of check and routing number.

So now, Tuesday morning. Call again to Tesla. We got an automated voice message saying i can show a signed loan agreement. Telsa Colma number says they aren't awake. I grab random Google maps showroom in NYC and call that number. Useless. They say yes I can show loan agreement. But, check and routing number is "better" - after 3 attempts to describe that i'm picking up my car today and i don't care about better, i only care about OK, it's lost on them and i give up. It very well may be that a local center is better. I still don't know.

Wife connects late morning to competent person at DCU. Despite having actual paperwork showing price of the car and amount financed, DCU person had all things wrong. We are now fixing actual loan amounts. They say we will have image of check and routing number within one hour. At minute 58, I lose it. We are using financing at 8%. I will renounce all possessions to get car. Who wants this hunk of junk anyway. Why would anyone put themself through this.

At minute 59, and I kid you not, it was that exact, we have check and routing number. I send to head of Colma. I curse a LOT over next 3 minutes. He responds VERY quickly that we are fully set and see you at pickup. WOW.

LESSON FROM THE MOMENT: I don't know. Don't get matched on Christmas Eve. Stay ON TOP of DCU. DCU is way cheaper. Tesla are kind of a dream to deal with (other than my actual SA who i didn't mention was totally absent and not even responding to emails from his own finance department).

The Pickup:

So, once you get all that sorted, you start seeing cool checks in the app. There are steps you should just take though. Like scanning your face. And a few other sigs consenting to e-signatures and stuff. I did all of that. Then drove to Colma.

Driving in, it was a VERY full lot, they even had an unloaded truck there. Looked for a text indicating my spot. Checked app. Nothing. So in I went. The head of the DC was free and came over. I told him pickup, he asked for name. Quick lookup. Asked me to pull up the app and had I done my face scan, etc. Yep, I had. Ok, i was ready to go to the car (I have to admit, that is really cool). I started to blurt out that I wasn't agreeing to anything until I could see the car, and he totally understood and kind of chuckled.

On the way out, I told him about the whole process and how it had been pretty rough and were they also going crazy. He said yeah, a lot of people had trouble with financing bc of the holidays and they'd been busy trying to help. I found myself wishing I'd connected with him sooner.

So we get to the car. I kind of just stop and grin. My son and wife walk over and my son starts asking if the red car is ours. I say yes. DC guy says check it out, hit accept, it will open, everything is inside. Any problems, I'm around. So, I walk through my billion point inspection. My car was CLEAN. Flawless. I was slightly annoyed that I had to accept before a full interior inspection, but I checked it out from the outside so knew no major flaws. So I hit accept and went inside. Perfect. I mean, everything. Perfect. So, I got my settings, paired my phone, tinkered around and drove off.

LESSON FROM PICKUP: Tesla's experience of buying a car is pretty damn amazing if you've done it enough to remember what it used to be like. Fill out the paperwork, which has nothing to do with "acceptance" so that you get the joy of showing up, hitting a button (after careful inspection) and driving off. Because I thought that was really fun.

I've since spent a few days driving canyon runs, playing with settings, etc. All I can say is, I love getting behind the wheel of this car. So, ask me anything I missed.
Thank you! Very useful. I'm also thinking about Mach E vs MYLR/MYP.

Thank you! Very useful. I'm also thinking about Mach E vs MYLR/MYP.
The other thing that really came out was rear seat legroom. I also heard reports (but admittedly just Youtubers) that the tech on Ford is a little janky. I will say so far, the tech on Tesla is flawless. My phone as key always works, settings always remembers. Simple handoffs from primary phone to secondary but knows the difference, etc.

The things that suck about Tesla are well covered. Visibility isn't great, but actually doesn't bother me a lot. I think the worst things are it feels pretty fragile when the roads get truly rough. I came over some real rough roads out of a canyon and it was jittery as h*ll.

Taking delivery today at Carlsbad Tesla!

I ordered a white MYLR, 20" rims, and white interior back in January 2021. However, I kept pushing it back since my wife and I were working from home due to the pandemic and we didn't need another car since we already have a Model 3 that we were sharing. Tesla contacted us probably 3 times since then asking us if we wanted to take delivery on a vehicle.

In November we decided to finally take delivery of the vehicle and mentioned that to our SA. Tesla then put us back into the queue. Since then our EDD changed from December 16 - 30, to Jan 5 - Feb 8, to Jan 3 - Jan 14, to Jan 6 - Jan 30. I didn't mind the EDD changes due to Omicron and my wife's work place kept pushing return to office back.

But here we are, we got our VIN on Thursday (Jan 6) and got a call from Tesla within 2 hours to schedule a pickup for Friday or Saturday. Within that same day I was able to get insurance and financing through USAA all within the hour. USAA right now is giving 2.09% for 72 months.

Just giving my anecdote just in case someone else was in the same shoes.

@Packfan I totally related to your summary. I am coming from a 2020 Tesla YLR and wanted to make sure I tested everything else out there. I drove everything you did plus the Ioniq 5 which I did like. Here the the thing for me I may have bought the Ioniq 5 but they wanted 15k over sticker so a car that was 56k was now 71k (it's not a 70k car) and they offered no lease it on :( (I buy tesla's cause the hold their value but Ioniq 5 in 3 years will be worthless IMO). So I put my order in for a MYP Red/White and in these forums someone posted Tesla had Y's posted for sale so I looked and I found one exactly like ordered. I texted my SA and they switched me to that one. I checked Caravana and they offered me a good price on my 20 YLR and tesla came in a little less but at my age I value ease so Tesla it is.

I enjoyed your summary and no we are not fanboys in our house although all of our cars have been Tesla's since 2016. I have a S on order with the new yoke I can tell you I won't be driving it cause it's too big and not as much fun to drive as the Y. My 20 YLR is my go to car for everything I had to go pickup Pizza last night (in my Y of course) because my son loves Pizza and I was sitting there thinking "I love these cars".

Thanks Packfan and AJ0624 for sharing your experiences. It really helps those of us who haven't been through the process. My brief experience is that while I ordered on line (simple and easy), I went in to the Stockton DC and talked with my SA about most things. After my EDD moved around a lot (like most people here - didn't bother me because I wanted to wait until 2022 in case the rebate came through) I had a chat with her about the fact that I was ready to accept delivery but that I wanted to make sure that I got the 15.5 v Li-on battery and the AMD Ryzen chip. She told me that if my car did not have them that I could defer and get back in line. But this morning my EDD moved out to 2/24 - 3/24. Not sure, but maybe that is her way of making sure that I get those new features?

Bottom line is that, as Packfan said, this site and the reports of actual Tesla owners and owners-to-be have been tremendously valuable.

Reactions: Spam2Yam and AJ0624

I ordered a white MYLR, 20" rims, and white interior back in January 2021. However, I kept pushing it back since my wife and I were working from home due to the pandemic and we didn't need another car since we already have a Model 3 that we were sharing. Tesla contacted us probably 3 times since then asking us if we wanted to take delivery on a vehicle.

In November we decided to finally take delivery of the vehicle and mentioned that to our SA. Tesla then put us back into the queue. Since then our EDD changed from December 16 - 30, to Jan 5 - Feb 8, to Jan 3 - Jan 14, to Jan 6 - Jan 30. I didn't mind the EDD changes due to Omicron and my wife's work place kept pushing return to office back.

But here we are, we got our VIN on Thursday (Jan 6) and got a call from Tesla within 2 hours to schedule a pickup for Friday or Saturday. Within that same day I was able to get insurance and financing through USAA all within the hour. USAA right now is giving 2.09% for 72 months.

Does it have LFP cells? This is how you would know by looking at the charging screen

Ok, here's my full summary. I'll try to hit all points and pitfalls.

I ordered in early August (profile complete about 3-4 days later), received the car (Colma, 40 miles from Fremont) on December 28th.

Ordering:
I, personally, loved the Tesla ordering process. Except that, and this will be a theme, they did not give you enough information at all. Not even close. So, test drives (which I guess are harder to come by now) were great. I tested (Walnut Creek, CA) a MYP and MYLR on consecutive visits. I also drove a Ford Mustang Mach E, Polestar 2, and Volvo XC40. I considered but did not drive the Audi e-tron, Volkswaged ID4, and BMW iX. My parents drive a Leaf and I have some experience and feedback with it. So I looked around. To be honest, I favored any car but the Tesla going in. I don't really like Elon Musk, I think Teslaheads are douchebags, there are too many fanboys inflating the stock for their own gain, and I take the side of the county with regards to COVID-19 disputes. So look, you can take that as you want. I wasn't prone to Tesla.

On the first test drive, I was really intrigued. I actually like some of the things others complain about. Simplicity of design and UX and UI is appealing to me. Frankly, driving the MYLR and Mach E back to back made the Ford look like a toy. I know it gets a TON of praise, but navigating that OS and using their various buttons and knobs just felt cheap and toy like compared to the Model Y. And yeah look, the first time you punch the accelerator in the MYP or use FSD, it's a pretty giddy experience. So I loved the car and moved to wanting to buy it, not because I believe in the dream, but because to me, it was the superior car.

So let's talk ordering and post order process. Loved the ordering. Throughout two test drives, it was EXTREMELY low pressure. Great. Nice. THere is also no need to pressure anyone, so it's basic market forces at work. But it's nice to not go through the undercoating and would you like to drive it well Bob will go with you that exists in the dealer model. Nice to see that getting broken across the board, but Tesla is above and beyond.

Ordering through the website a breeze. Click, enter click done. Really nice. And no pressure to do it live. So all good.

That's where it gets bad. There was literally nobody, and I mean NOBODY that followed up with me. At all. Zero. Zilch. And, turns out, I hadn't COMPLETED MY PROFILE which is everything. So, luckily, I found this board and did that pretty quickly. But this board is FULL of stories of people that didn't know that, or missed some step, or didn't know to switch to cash. That's pretty poor for a buying experience. I have some theory that if you buy in person you get more support than virtual, but that's just a guess.

LESSON FROM BUYING: Complete your profile. Be sure it's complete. Call and make sure. Switch to cash if you're financing of any kind (it is VERY easy to switch back, covered below). Your profile date is your wait date. Don't mess this up. Get it ready.

Waiting:
So, I watched every video. I hit these threads. I obsessed. The things I didn't do. Call SAs and freak out. Look, Tesla said they'd get me the car in December from the outset. My mind was always if they hit that they and I are happy. And, in the end, it was all true. With no cajoling, hassling, haggling, etc. So, maybe just stay chill. The ONLY part I freaked about was when they started pushing me MUCH later than that. Like every other wait promise i heard, it was just mythical. Also, I ordered zero accessories. Look, it takes like a week to get them. You can wait, and it will help prioritize what you really need. I thought I'd want a console organizer. Three weeks later I can't see why. I only use one console storage and can reach spare masks, wipes, and hand sanitizer easily. Some of y'all are pack rats and that's ok. You might want to have those read.y

LESSON FROM WAITING: Don't obsess as long as you are in the window Tesla told you. And certainly, CERTAINLY don't follow the EDDs or SA windows. It's unhealthy, and they are all mythical creatures.

The MOMENT:
So here's how it went down. My EDD gets pushed back. I think fine, not happening this year. The tweet that Tesla is moving a LOT of EOQ cars. The updates on here that others are getting theirs. Heres how my notifications went. See update in the app first. "we are making updates" - check the online account. It has details. No text. No call. Fill out forms to accept and say yes, i want to proceed. Then, the app starts showing updates. Complete insurance (already done). Next step, complete financing. BUT...this is CHRISTMAS EVE. At like 4PM. Not an easy time for a match. We call Tesla. They answer. Guy says it's "probably ok" (thanks bro) because they know it's a holiday and financing is going to be tough to line up. But the call ends with him reminding me they'll only hold the car 3 days, and I am sweating and pulse through the roof. At this point though, no real match or countdown.

Check again. VIN. Still no "set up your appointment."

So, I call Tesla. I'm getting third party financing. No problem, who. DCU. Ok, switched. Honestly the call took maybe 50 seconds including dialing. I called the number of the Colma entry on Google maps. It all seems like the same system. Maybe it isn't. More on that later. Loved the calls to Tesla, great experience.

Call DCU. They pre-approve a loan (bear in mind, I hadn't called DCU before because I didn't want to unfreeze credit). Honestly, this step was easy anyway. Had a referral. They say create an account online over the weekend. OK, cool. Do that Saturday...but....

Last step Friday. I finally get a text. "Schedule your pickup." I follow the link. Lots of time slots. I choose basically the latest, Tuesday at 5PM. I want to make sure we have financing locked in.

Back to DCU...

While my wife is creating the digital account, the whole system freaks. It says she has an account, but needs to reset the password. she does. It says she will pick up her account there. It won't. We kind of start getting worried, so i create an account as a backup.

Note: by this point, we've done the due diligence. DCU is by far the cheapest loan you are going to get anywhere. Honestly. Call around. Tell me if you get 1.24% or close. You won't. That rate saves us about 2600 over the life of the loan. So to us, it's worth it. Maybe you'd like the convenience. But also, don't get matched on Christmas Eve and this story has at LEAST 24 hours extra leeway.

If you are new to DCU, you need to become a member. We did that by joining one of their afifiliated organizations and gave $10 to education. A good cause. You have to indicate this when you open the account. Now, we are waiting for them to open on Monday.

When they open, we are up at 6:00 PST. We quickly remedy account issue and link them. And then, they transfer us to loans. Woman goes through everything. And we should hear about check being sent by EOD (reminder: our pickup is next day and we think we need an overnight check in hand for pickup). Well, wife calls EOD. They say it's not ready, the loan is all wrong, and we should call back in the morning. This was a low point.

Also that day, we finally sorted out our trade. Carvana came with an amazing offer (1400 over all competitors, and in range of what people were getting private party locally). So, we took an amount of that, and decided to make life easy. We made a down payment through Plaid directly to Tesla. Maybe it's because we are dumb and haven't bought a car in a long time, but we thought Tesla would only take one check and we'd have to make the down payment to DCU. Not so, make that to Tesla. Plaid is easy, though I get why some are hesitant. Again, we had to make some step of this easy since DCU was making us sweat. End of Monday, call again to Tesla. We can show proof of check and routing number.

So now, Tuesday morning. Call again to Tesla. We got an automated voice message saying i can show a signed loan agreement. Telsa Colma number says they aren't awake. I grab random Google maps showroom in NYC and call that number. Useless. They say yes I can show loan agreement. But, check and routing number is "better" - after 3 attempts to describe that i'm picking up my car today and i don't care about better, i only care about OK, it's lost on them and i give up. It very well may be that a local center is better. I still don't know.

Wife connects late morning to competent person at DCU. Despite having actual paperwork showing price of the car and amount financed, DCU person had all things wrong. We are now fixing actual loan amounts. They say we will have image of check and routing number within one hour. At minute 58, I lose it. We are using financing at 8%. I will renounce all possessions to get car. Who wants this hunk of junk anyway. Why would anyone put themself through this.

At minute 59, and I kid you not, it was that exact, we have check and routing number. I send to head of Colma. I curse a LOT over next 3 minutes. He responds VERY quickly that we are fully set and see you at pickup. WOW.

LESSON FROM THE MOMENT: I don't know. Don't get matched on Christmas Eve. Stay ON TOP of DCU. DCU is way cheaper. Tesla are kind of a dream to deal with (other than my actual SA who i didn't mention was totally absent and not even responding to emails from his own finance department).

The Pickup:

So, once you get all that sorted, you start seeing cool checks in the app. There are steps you should just take though. Like scanning your face. And a few other sigs consenting to e-signatures and stuff. I did all of that. Then drove to Colma.

Driving in, it was a VERY full lot, they even had an unloaded truck there. Looked for a text indicating my spot. Checked app. Nothing. So in I went. The head of the DC was free and came over. I told him pickup, he asked for name. Quick lookup. Asked me to pull up the app and had I done my face scan, etc. Yep, I had. Ok, i was ready to go to the car (I have to admit, that is really cool). I started to blurt out that I wasn't agreeing to anything until I could see the car, and he totally understood and kind of chuckled.

On the way out, I told him about the whole process and how it had been pretty rough and were they also going crazy. He said yeah, a lot of people had trouble with financing bc of the holidays and they'd been busy trying to help. I found myself wishing I'd connected with him sooner.

So we get to the car. I kind of just stop and grin. My son and wife walk over and my son starts asking if the red car is ours. I say yes. DC guy says check it out, hit accept, it will open, everything is inside. Any problems, I'm around. So, I walk through my billion point inspection. My car was CLEAN. Flawless. I was slightly annoyed that I had to accept before a full interior inspection, but I checked it out from the outside so knew no major flaws. So I hit accept and went inside. Perfect. I mean, everything. Perfect. So, I got my settings, paired my phone, tinkered around and drove off.

LESSON FROM PICKUP: Tesla's experience of buying a car is pretty damn amazing if you've done it enough to remember what it used to be like. Fill out the paperwork, which has nothing to do with "acceptance" so that you get the joy of showing up, hitting a button (after careful inspection) and driving off. Because I thought that was really fun.

I've since spent a few days driving canyon runs, playing with settings, etc. All I can say is, I love getting behind the wheel of this car. So, ask me anything I missed.
Great job, Packfan.

I woke up this morning in the first day of my EDD window, and your summary was really helpful as I prepare to run the delivery gauntlet. Well done.

Like you, I loved the online order process. I never, ever thought I would buy a new car on my phone, but I did and it was painless, even fun. I will never submit myself to the “wait while I talk to my manager” nonsense again. It is insulting. And I hope the protectionist dealer system is opened to real competition ASAP, not later. Funny how those who loudly sing the praises of free markets are the quickest to lobby for protectionist, anti-competitive laws to stifle competition and innovation.

Tesla needs to put out some guidance to customers on how the delivery process works and why EDDs jumps around. Tesla’s one man PR Department will need to listen more to real customers and less from his adoring fanboys on Twitter and YouTube.

The other thing that really came out was rear seat legroom. I also heard reports (but admittedly just Youtubers) that the tech on Ford is a little janky. I will say so far, the tech on Tesla is flawless. My phone as key always works, settings always remembers. Simple handoffs from primary phone to secondary but knows the difference, etc.

The things that suck about Tesla are well covered. Visibility isn't great, but actually doesn't bother me a lot. I think the worst things are it feels pretty fragile when the roads get truly rough. I came over some real rough roads out of a canyon and it was jittery as h*ll.
2nd this, I wish I had 19 wheels on mine and they can offer air supspencion as an option.

Reactions: DZMY and LodiEVFan
Great job, Packfan.

I woke up this morning in the first day of my EDD window, and your summary was really helpful as I prepare to run the delivery gauntlet. Well done.

Like you, I loved the online order process. I never, ever thought I would buy a new car on my phone, but I did and it was painless, even fun. I will never submit myself to the “wait while I talk to my manager” nonsense again. It is insulting. And I hope the protectionist dealer system is opened to real competition ASAP, not later. Funny how those who loudly sing the praises of free markets are the quickest to lobby for protectionist, anti-competitive laws to stifle competition and innovation.

Tesla needs to put out some guidance to customers on how the delivery process works and why EDDs jumps around. Tesla’s one man PR Department will need to listen more to real customers and less from his adoring fanboys on Twitter and YouTube.
I agree wholeheartedly about the EDD process I’m in the window again, and I’m confident this is the time.
What made this painful was Tesla scheduling countless phantom deliveries at the end of year so there were hot backups if actual deliveries fell through. Lost of year end scrambling with optimistic hopes of deliveries that got dashed.
I’m fine with dates moving during the process, but once deliveries get scheduled they should happen (barring the 5 freeway closing due to snow in the grapevine).

Congratulations to Packfan and AJ0624!
My personal experience has been a rollercoaster. Call from SA to complete profile and select financing to get a VIN. The VIN only lasted two days before it was abruptly reassigned, and no one at Tesla know why. My EDD got pushed back to July and it seems that I would be required to reapply for financing.

Can you please let us know the build date and if your car has the new Li-on battery and AMD chip?

Reactions: xSCMx

please check charging screen to see if LFP batteries - would look like this

Haha, phone key is one of my concerns. My friend was locked outside his Tesla for a few hours a couple months back. He never used the physical card and the phone key didn't work in the last outage.

I got a text for scheduling delivery next week. I would normally text back asking for pickup, but they happen to pick a week I'm oncall for work and home delivery seems like a convenient way to take my time looking over the car at my leisure before accepting.

Did any of the recent people who did home delivery have any issues? My searches through the forums don't see any complaints other than they were forced into home delivery and inability to inspect the interior until accepting delivery. These are compromises I am willing to accept for the convenience.

I'm gonna have them park the car on the street in case I need to reject. I'm optimistically confident the car will be fine 🤞. As long as the paint looks okay and the panels/door handles are reasonably flush, I'll probably accept the car. Not gonna be OCD about one gap being a few mm more narrow/wide than the other side.

Last edited:
Reactions: tacolover

I have the same configuration and was contacted by SA this Wednesday for pickup on Friday/Saturday at Carlsbad. Since I am on travel and will not return until next week, SA said they can't hold it and put me back for next delivery/availability in a week or two. This should have been mine if I was in town :) Congrats! Hopefully it is flawless with the new AMD chip.

Reactions: ryneezy