Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin air filter change tip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just did my cabin air filter finally! The process itself is easy but I failed the last time because I didn’t have right tools.
I had the t20 torx screw but I didn’t have the flexible articulating torq bit (I think that’s what it’s called). My hand was too big to reach into the top screw. Anyway, the process it self is something you can find on YouTube and recommend watching one before tackling this. It took me 20 mins tops to finish this but here’s the tool I used. The orange handle is what I bought for $1.99 at a local parts shop. The flexible extension was online retailer.

Attachments

• 71D866D7-3F26-44E1-AA66-2900B44BE0C2.jpeg
    71D866D7-3F26-44E1-AA66-2900B44BE0C2.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 743
Reactions: McQ14
The flex extension is a great idea. You do not need to buy a pry tool for the clips... any thin sturdy thing will do. Screwdriver, butter knife, strong fingernails...

But Jesus, after all the fanboy giggling about the cutting edge engineering in this car, it should have been easier. Filter door hidden behind two trims, not terrible. Filter door held in place by a tab at the bottom, easily accessible, and a T20 screw at the top, nearly impossible to reach... pretty terrible. Why not put the capture tab at the top and the screw at the bottom? And of course When you pull out the dirty filters, all the large debris gets scraped off and falls back down into the filter wells. “Will this interfere with the new filters?” One asks oneself? Doesn’t matter, because you can’t fit any vacuum attachment down there. I duct taped a small curved copper tube to a medium size bit of PVC, crammed that in, held the vacuum hose to the end, and crossed my fingers that a) dirt was being removed and b) I wasn’t gouging holes in the cooling coils.

Changed this at the weekend. It was the worst. Glad I had a ratcheting screwdriver for that screw but still. Gave myself some nasty carpet burn on my elbow from contortionisting to get that out. And fairly sure I lost a clip or two from the center console into oblivion in the middle of the car - hope I don't start hearing rattles from it.

...Got the third-party HEPA-ish filter installed at least.

What filter are you guys using? I see a lot of different options online. Not sure about a HEPA filter as I wouldn't want the filter to be too restrictive.
I got one of the "HEPA" filters and honestly I didn't find it any more restrictive. However I found it less effective than the OEM filter at stopping smells. I'd recommend going with OEM filters, that's my plan moving forwards.