Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin Air Filter Replaced too Frequently?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

I have a 2019 Model 3 Standard Plus and a Dual Motor Long Range. I live in Texas. I have noticed I’m replacing my filter at least every year (I might need even another before the two year anniversary).

Has anyone else experienced this and it’s normal for my location, or is there something wrong? Seems like a lot and I haven’t had this problem with any other vehicle.

When you replace the filters, do you also clean the evaporator? If you don't, the smell will stay or at least come back quicker, as far as I know.

Also, the software was modified to dry the evaporator by keeping the fan on when you get ouyt of the car. It was not that way in 2019. It's possible that you can stretch the changes a bit more with this enhancement that came somewhere in 2020...

When you replace the filters, do you also clean the evaporator? If you don't, the smell will stay or at least come back quicker, as far as I know.

Also, the software was modified to dry the evaporator by keeping the fan on when you get ouyt of the car. It was not that way in 2019. It's possible that you can stretch the changes a bit more with this enhancement that came somewhere in 2020...
I don’t clean the evap but I guess I should. Thanks for the advice.

Does anyone have recommendations on the type of replacement filter to use for the interior cabin? I have a 2019 Model 3 and I've seen a few on Amazon (XTechnor, etc.) but their quality in the latest reviews for each have been meh.

Thanks in advance for any responses. :)

I purchased this about a month ago, so far so good. Both filters are in the box for sub $10. Also when the old filters are out, spray a liberal amount of something like Microban24 or Lysol Disinfectant into the air filter space. After a minute you should see some drip out under the car. Let is dry for about 30 minutes and put the new filters in. I am in Florida and using AC every day and our heat, once a year is about when its due.

I purchased this about a month ago, so far so good. Both filters are in the box for sub $10. Also when the old filters are out, spray a liberal amount of something like Microban24 or Lysol Disinfectant into the air filter space. After a minute you should see some drip out under the car. Let is dry for about 30 minutes and put the new filters in. I am in Florida and using AC every day and our heat, once a year is about when its due.

Any idea if that fits a 2021 model 3? Amazon suggests no.

Thank you very much Golferguy! Much appreciated.

FWIW, I went with the Lysol disinfectant option for sub-10. The Microban was a little iffy on the reviews.

Reactions: golferguy