Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin Air Filter Replacement Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cabin Air Filter Questions:

1. We've had Nick for 2.5 years and 67K miles. Coastal area, high humidity, never need AC. No funky smell. Should I replace the filters anyway?

2. I've heard that if you use a HEPA filter, you need to replace them less frequently. That doesn't make sense to me. Is that right?

3. Some say it's best to just go with the normal ones from Tesla. True?

4. What is the exact Torx bit I need for that one screw?

5. Is this video appropriate for Nick (2020)? I've heard the design has changed.

Thanks!

1. We've had Nick for 2.5 years and 67K miles. Coastal area, high humidity, never need AC. No funky smell. Should I replace the filters anyway?

2. I've heard that if you use a HEPA filter, you need to replace them less frequently. That doesn't make sense to me. Is that right?

5. Is this video appropriate for Nick (2020)? I've heard the design has changed.

Thanks!
The Model 3 and Model Y, AFAIK, don't use HEPA filters. But HEPA filters are way overrated.
A service rep recently recommended changing yearly, but looking at the maintenance schedule, it's every 2 years.
If your car ever has to have a visit to Tesla, that's always a great time to do it.

Thanks!
1. IMO, the poor pre-filtering of debris makes it worth replacing the filters and cleaning the bottom of the filter housing.

2. 🤷‍♂️

3. OEM ones were easy to replace. Seen posts voicing issues with figment on occasion with aftermarket filters. Personally, since the OEM ones are so cheap, I go OEM.

4. T20 IIRC

5. ‘20-older use the screw-up-top door. ‘21-newer have the screw on the bottom. Everything else is [basically] the same.

Thanks!
I had mine replaced about 2 months ago when the mobile tech was over. It was well worth the $20 Canadian in labour to do it. In case things go wrong, it’s their problem.

Reactions: kpanda17
The Model 3 and Model Y, AFAIK, don't use HEPA filters. But HEPA filters are way overrated.
A service rep recently recommended changing yearly, but looking at the maintenance schedule, it's every 2 years.
If your car ever has to have a visit to Tesla, that's always a great time to do it.
My Y has HEPA filters, it was introduced on the 3 and Y in 2022.

IMG_6686.JPG

Just because there is no smell doesn't mean the filters aren't dirty. You can visually check if they are dirty, but if you are going to remove them anyways to check it may make sense to just replace them, given by most accounts it's not exactly easy to access them.
Where have you heard this? I don't see any reason why HEPA filters would be replaced less frequently. Given presumably they are more restrictive, wouldn't you have to replace them more frequently? This is assuming you are talking about straight replacement of the OEM filter with filters that are said to be "HEPA", not modifying the car in some way to use larger filters.

The other points others already addressed.

Reactions: SalisburySam
I agree, so then my question is, what problems does a dirty filter cause? I guess the answer is that the fan has to work harder, there's less airflow, and it's unhygienic. Significant?
Yes, that's generally it. The same applies to a lot of people's home air handler filters. They basically never replace them, but if you open it up, you will see it's caked full of dust. But they can still use it blissfully unaware, given most have enough power to easily power through regardless of the dust.

Depending on your local environment, that may not necessarily be the case for you (as such most car manufacturers have filter replacement requirements that vary, some saying if you live in very dusty environments, it may suggest an alternative interval). The problem here is it's a hassle to check, so once you have them out, it may make sense to swap them so you don't have to try to get at them again.

Nice.

That won't make this install easier, but it will make the next one easier. I've got to decide whether spending $37 is worth it, since I might not need to replace the filter again before I sell the car.

Another option is described here:

Reactions: Perscitus
Nice.

That won't make this install easier, but it will make the next one easier. I've got to decide whether spending $37 is worth it, since I might not need to replace the filter again before I sell the car.

Another option is described here:

Here's a better option for $10 Tesla Model 3/Y Cabin Air Filter Access Panel Screw Replacement | eBay

Anyone try this filter yet? It claims to have an antimicrobial layer to prevent smell. It's also likely made in the same factory as OEM.

Purolator PBC41506 PurolatorBOSS Premium Cabin Air Filter with Febreze Freshness fits Select Tesla Models Amazon.com
Search is your friend: Non-OEM Cabin Air Filter Options

Its indeed very good and made in the same factory as the OE part. Used a set, two years ago, last year and this year.

Search is your friend: Non-OEM Cabin Air Filter Options

Its indeed very good and made in the same factory as the OE part. Used a set, two years ago, last year and this year.
I’m on my second set as well. Just changed it yesterday.

No difference from OEM in my experience either. I’m on year 2 here in the Northeast and just noticed a slight funk that prompted me to change it and clean the coil.

Mine had minimal debris, no mold, and no smell from the filters. My assumption is most of the funk was within the coil.