Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin Air Filter replacement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How did you get it for $35, I was charged $50 at the Portland SC?!? Did you get an activated charcoal filter like me? Looking forward for somebody to either find a cross-over part or an aftermarket company starts selling their own version. $50 is just too much for a cabin air filter.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
Aftermarket cabin filter

I'm coming up on a year of ownership... and I prefer to do maintenance items that I can myself...

Has anybody replaced the cabin air filter on their S?
I don't see that anyone has answered this, but WIX filter WP 10176 was added to their line for Tesla in Sept 2015. It's about $25 and looks somewhat beefier than the OEM filter. WIX is a high quality line, so no worries there. It takes very little time and no tools to do-release the center panel covering the rear of the frunk at the windshield, work it back toward the windshield to wiggle it out, remove the snap in cover from the passenger side firewall, and take the old filter out. Note that the airflow arrow is pointing UP when you put the new one in. That's it. Put it all back together noting that the cover has a couple of molded clips to engage at the windshield side. Finally, something I can do on my wife's car besides add windshield washer!

• Informative
Thanks! I was waiting for more info on this!

I don't see that anyone has answered this, but WIX filter WP 10176 was added to their line for Tesla in Sept 2015. It's about $25 and looks somewhat beefier than the OEM filter. WIX is a high quality line, so no worries there. It takes very little time and no tools to do-release the center panel covering the rear of the frunk at the windshield, work it back toward the windshield to wiggle it out, remove the snap in cover from the passenger side firewall, and take the old filter out. Note that the airflow arrow is pointing UP when you put the new one in. That's it. Put it all back together noting that the cover has a couple of molded clips to engage at the windshield side. Finally, something I can do on my wife's car besides add windshield washer!

@pastperfect44: Thank you for posting this information.

I check out the website and it lists O'Reilly Auto Parts as a local distributor here in San Jose, CA. However, they didn't have it in stock and wanted to charge both freight and a service fee.

As Ingineer pointed out, Discount Fleet does have a great price, with shipping ~$12. Amazon price is $24.55 with $2.34 shipping cost, so net price is quite similar.

How did you get it for $35, I was charged $50 at the Portland SC?!? Did you get an activated charcoal filter like me? Looking forward for somebody to either find a cross-over part or an aftermarket company starts selling their own version. $50 is just too much for a cabin air filter.

When I was at the service center a few months ago, I purchased another filter. The price dropped to less then $10! This took the adviser by surprise and he even recommend I buy two in-case they were to increase the price in the future. At $10 and still charcoal, the price is hard to beat! So I would recommend stopping by the SC to see if they are still selling at that price.

• Informative
Napa has them an some locations (Wix manufactures most of Naps's filters), Napa's part number is 230176. The price you get will depend on how friendly your local Napa store is, but expect around $25 plus or minus and if they dont have it at your local store they can bring one in from a distribution center.

Looks like it is a charcoal filter, Ill know more more tomorrow when I have it in hand.

• Informative
Reactions: CalBlue 85D
i placed the 2015 S cabin air filter, its easy to do it.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

• Love
i placed the 2015 S cabin air filter, its easy to do it.

You can skip steps 1 and 2. I had no problem removing the middle panel on its own. That should save you some time in the future.

you can get some information from this
Cabin Air Filter includes Activated Carbon
Amazon.com: Topfit Cabin Air Filter includes Activated Carbon for Tesla Model S(2012-2015): Automotive

If you live close to the service center, give them a call. The last time I purchased a filter, they were about $9 each. That was over a year ago, so it could have changed. If it has, please post and let us know.