Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin Air filter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m getting a bad smell from the aircon for the first couple of minutes after the car is left outside for a couple of hours. The car is 11 months old with 35K done. It might be time to change the air filter. I see the Tesla shop ones are out of stock. What is everyone using if they can’t be the Tesla one? I see cabinairfilters.com.au have one but not sure if any good. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Hopefully replacement filters will fix the issue. It sure has been humid of late, so lots of condensate to drain away. I had a Mazda that used to smell like sour vomit and it needed the evaporator flushed with disinfectant
Tesla change the filters and do a flush if you say there is a smell. At least that's what they did for me on the Gold Coast.

Mine started to smell during the high humidity over the last 2 weeks, but seem to have cleared up again. I've been through this before, where some days are fine and others are not until it's unbearable :).

Whenever I clean the filters in our split system air conditioners at home, I give them a hit with Glen 20. Over summer this is every month or so. Just a hose off, dry in the sun and give them and the system itself a liberal spray. Can't hurt giving the front footwell's of the car a dose every so often with the Air-con running.

After a wet/humid day I often blast the AC at high temp for 5 minutes when getting home, just to aid drying everything out

Also when I wash the car, I also pop the hood, remove the cover and clean any dust/debris out of the a/c inlet.
You'll see it's got a big drainage hole at the bottom, the real inlet is about 3/4 down, but mine does seem to get coated in dust/dirt.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
FYI I don't think the problem is the filter since I always give the filter a quick sniff test after each of the last ~8 replacements since 8/2020 ~20K miles. This is getting beyond annoying and embarrassing. This is a Tesla design fault that the company will not admit to and unluckily for my lungs I'm breathing in moldy stuff. Each time the filter smells new and clean as well as it should since I'm averaging like <4 months each set. Yes I have done just as many coil foam cleaning as well. Purely BS this isn't being addressed by Tesla HVAC engineers.