Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin Air Filter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have Tesla Model 3 SR+ 2020. I bought a cabin air filter from amazon. But it was really hard to replace. The new one did not even fit. Are there any other good HEPA filter that fit the model 3?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
That or Amazon are good places. There’s no such thing as real medical grade hepa filter on the model 3. It’s marketing speak. The way the cabin is designed it’s not hepa filter level unlike the model s design.

Install is straight forward. Get get the right tools. I have a small screw driver that flexes like a snake that’s helpful. And you have to be on your back on the footwell. You can easily do this if you want to take the time or pay Tesla to do it if bending on the ground isn’t ideal.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply @Rottenapplr and @GtiMart . I was able to get the filter out successfully yesterday. But when I tried the Amazon filter it did not fit in properly as it had extra foam strip on the side. I put back the old one. I ordered new one from tesla. Once it comes I should be able to complete the work.
They will fit with some effort. the foam does make it more difficult as they are going for a tight seal. Any other filter without the foam will be easier to install and remove.

Upvote 0

Install is straight forward. Get get the right tools. I have a small screw driver that flexes like a snake that’s helpful. And you have to be on your back on the footwell. You can easily do this if you want to take the time or pay Tesla to do it if bending on the ground isn’t ideal.

Install is anything but straightforward. Unless you're auto-mechanic or have some really weird screw-driver specifically for this purpose. I did it once and don't want to ever go through this again. God help if you have a bad back or anything.
Only appears simple on the video. When you actually try to do it - you find otherwise. If they really wanted people to replace their own cabin filters - they should have put them in a more accessible place.

• Funny
Reactions: Rottenapplr
Upvote 0
Install is anything but straightforward. Unless you're auto-mechanic or have some really weird screw-driver specifically for this purpose. I did it once and don't want to ever go through this again. God help if you have a bad back or anything.
Only appears simple on the video. When you actually try to do it - you find otherwise. If they really wanted people to replace their own cabin filters - they should have put them in a more accessible place.
They changed the filter cover screw location in the 2021+ cars and it's pretty easy to change filters in the newer cars. I've done it a few times now, could probably do it in about 5 minutes.

Upvote 0
LOL well I mean you follow steps, etc... and get a flexible hose it's easy in that sense. But I do agree you need to do yoga on a regular basis. I actually do yoga and stretching d/t my bad back and it's a life saver. I have to be on my back on the wheel well but again. I'm in pretty good shape.

Upvote 0
Yes, the location of the screw is at the top of the filter door in 2021+ cars.
You need a Torx T20 to take it out.
I bought the thumb screw on Amazon so I do not have to put up with that anymore.

It is on the top in my 20. What did they change to make it easier?

I use a stubby ratcheting screwdriver handle and torx bit to remove the screw. It works pretty well for me.

Upvote 0