Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin Camera Blinded Error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all just got admitted into the Beta this morning and I kept getting a cabin camera is blinded error when engaging in AP

I never had this issue on 2022.20.8 which I came from. It was dark this morning but it was strange as I never had this issue until this beta update.

Has anyone else had this issue, I just rebooted the vehicle so I hope it was just a bug.

I've gotten this error within seconds if I engage FSDb on the dark roads of my neighborhood at night. I've never gotten it in the daytime, and only seldom when out on major roads with more light. I also have a 2022 model Y. I suspect I have a hardware fault that means my IR illuminators are not providing the needed light, but Tesla cancelled the service appointment.

Try again with just a little daylight.

I have also had the same problem. "Cabin camera covered or blinded" Only at night and only if I am wearing dark clothing. During the day, all is fine but after dark I have to pull over and put on a white shirt. Strange.
I made an appointment 2 weeks ago and right before the day of appointment they canceled me , saying they saw nothing wrong on their end sigh.. don’t know what to do problem is dangerous my AP keeps cutting off

Same happens to me if it’s dark out. To get around it, I either a. Turn on cabin light on driver side next to rear view mirror or b. Switch to a profile that doesn’t have fsdb
In my 2022 Y LR it was enough to turn on the passenger side dome light. I just might tolerate that out on an urban main road or Interstate, but in the dark roads of my streetlight-free neighborhood, it is way too much distraction to be safe.

In my 2022 Y LR it was enough to turn on the passenger side dome light. I just might tolerate that out on an urban main road or Interstate, but in the dark roads of my streetlight-free neighborhood, it is way too much distraction to be safe.
I’m seeing an opportunity for someone to develop a Tesla-specific IR light source that plugs into a USB port and illuminates the driver. In the meantime, might something like this work? (The Q&A says it does emit a faint red glow.)

I’m seeing an opportunity for someone to develop a Tesla-specific IR light source that plugs into a USB port and illuminates the driver. In the meantime, might something like this work? (The Q&A says it does emit a faint red glow.)

That looks like it might be interesting. We don't know the near-IR response of the Tesla cabin cameras, so the fact this one is very, very close to the visible band is perhaps an advantage over more clearly invisible IR sources which might be too far into the IR for the cabin camera to use them. I also like the adjustable level part.

If it works at all, my guess is it may be able to be dialed way down from max brightness, which might raise the battery life.

I'm not very mechanically clever, and don't have a bright idea of how to mount it. I suspect one wants it up quite near to the cabin camera lens pointing toward the driver.

I think I'll buy one just to try it out and learn something.

Thanks.

Just think it’s unsafe when I’m trying to use it in low light situation and the car starts to freak out all of a sudden because it’s too dark. I can’t believe this isn’t a bigger issue that isn’t brought up. I guess a lot of people are driving in well lit areas? Most of my commute are early morning and night time on highways not much light

I think I'll buy one just to try it out and learn something.

Thanks.
I purchased the IR illuminator intended for use with cameras linked by dtdtdt. I found that for a quick test in my neighborhood I could hold it in place with two very large rubber bands, one wrapping vertically over the right side of the rear view mirror, and the other horizontally going around the mirror support. It came to rest not pointing at the driver's seat at all, but just slightly off-center toward the passenger side. But it is a big array of IR LEDs without focusing optics.

On my test of driving under FSDb control at very low speed on my own dark (zero streetlights, not much light shown by houses) street, I was able to drive without cabin camera obstruction complaints, even with the illumination level turned down as far as it goes on this unit. I suspect this unit would have several hour battery life at that condition, but will need to test that. After I turned off the IR illuminator, I turned on the dome light and drove a short way, then turned off the dome light and got the red hands of death within a couple of hundred feet.

Combining evidence from this drive of a bit over a mile with other tests in the same area, I am highly confident that this IR illuminator positioned as I had it, made a major change to cabin camera-related autosteer aborts on my car.

So we have some new evidence in hand.

1. It appears pretty conclusively that the installed cabin camera in my 2022 Tesla Y LR has useful sensitivity at 850 nm.
2. It appears that my particular sample of Tesla Y either was not meant to come with an IR illuminator, or failed to get one installed, or the installed one was not working (most likely when it left the factory--possibly enabled by Tesla lacking a test) by the time I got FSDb installed.
3. Or possibly the car software neglects to turn on an IR illuminator which would function if asked.
4. It appears that not very much IR illumination is required to satisfy the cabin camera requirement not to be considered obstructed or blinded.

As several users, but not a great many, have reported similar difficulty with modern cars (built later than the claimed start date for IR illuminator installation), we have some possibilities:
1. all the cars are the same, but only a few participants drive them at night on dark enough roads to have this problem.
2. some of the cars are defective in a way that defeats adequate IR illumination--but an appreciable defect rate--this would probably mean Tesla lacks suitable factory floor testing to assure this function is working when the car leaves the factory.

Granted Albuquerque night sky is dark compared to many places in the US, but I've had this problem show up in places much brighter than my residential streetlight-free neighborhood--once in Interstate 25, and at least seven times on Paseo del Norte-a major arterial road, divided, with at least two lanes in each direction, and quite a bit of traffic.

If my problem is indeed an individual car defect, it is a great pity that the customer service system seems set up to exclude it from consideration. Bizarrely, the tech I spoke to considered the report of cabin camera blinding as somehow an indication that there was not a fixable defect, as the car did not report to him a request to fix something. He also was unaware of IR illuminators being present in ANY Tesla, and seemed inclined to not believe.

• Informative
Reactions: nvx1977 and bhakan
I purchased the IR illuminator intended for use with cameras linked by dtdtdt. I found that for a quick test in my neighborhood I could hold it in place with two very large rubber bands, one wrapping vertically over the right side of the rear view mirror, and the other horizontally going around the mirror support. It came to rest not pointing at the driver's seat at all, but just slightly off-center toward the passenger side. But it is a big array of IR LEDs without focusing optics.

On my test of driving under FSDb control at very low speed on my own dark (zero streetlights, not much light shown by houses) street, I was able to drive without cabin camera obstruction complaints, even with the illumination level turned down as far as it goes on this unit. I suspect this unit would have several hour battery life at that condition, but will need to test that. After I turned off the IR illuminator, I turned on the dome light and drove a short way, then turned off the dome light and got the red hands of death within a couple of hundred feet.

Combining evidence from this drive of a bit over a mile with other tests in the same area, I am highly confident that this IR illuminator positioned as I had it, made a major change to cabin camera-related autosteer aborts on my car.

So we have some new evidence in hand.

1. It appears pretty conclusively that the installed cabin camera in my 2022 Tesla Y LR has useful sensitivity at 850 nm.
2. It appears that my particular sample of Tesla Y either was not meant to come with an IR illuminator, or failed to get one installed, or the installed one was not working (most likely when it left the factory--possibly enabled by Tesla lacking a test) by the time I got FSDb installed.
3. Or possibly the car software neglects to turn on an IR illuminator which would function if asked.
4. It appears that not very much IR illumination is required to satisfy the cabin camera requirement not to be considered obstructed or blinded.

As several users, but not a great many, have reported similar difficulty with modern cars (built later than the claimed start date for IR illuminator installation), we have some possibilities:
1. all the cars are the same, but only a few participants drive them at night on dark enough roads to have this problem.
2. some of the cars are defective in a way that defeats adequate IR illumination--but an appreciable defect rate--this would probably mean Tesla lacks suitable factory floor testing to assure this function is working when the car leaves the factory.

Granted Albuquerque night sky is dark compared to many places in the US, but I've had this problem show up in places much brighter than my residential streetlight-free neighborhood--once in Interstate 25, and at least seven times on Paseo del Norte-a major arterial road, divided, with at least two lanes in each direction, and quite a bit of traffic.

If my problem is indeed an individual car defect, it is a great pity that the customer service system seems set up to exclude it from consideration. Bizarrely, the tech I spoke to considered the report of cabin camera blinding as somehow an indication that there was not a fixable defect, as the car did not report to him a request to fix something. He also was unaware of IR illuminators being present in ANY Tesla, and seemed inclined to not believe.
This is a really good read, to add to this.
I had a mobile service appointment about a month ago. Reported this issue on the mobile appointment but they said that because I had added the issue a little late they couldn't do anything in regards to replacing the cabin camera with this upcoming service. ( understandable ) mentioning this because its been reported for over a month on file.

When the mobile tech that came out to fix something brought up this issue. He responded by saying that even though some cars are built recently ( my 2022 MYP ) they do not always get the new parts if they have left over materials they want to get rid of. Mentioned that it may be an old style camera and that it could be replaced = just open another service appointment. Tech verbalized he did a cabin camera swap recently so its totally doable via mobile appointment.

Made the appointment and after 2 and a half weeks-ish the day before they were scheduled to come out they said there was no issues they were able to remotely diagnose ( closed my ticket ) My issue still persists and I have no Idea if we have older cameras or what / the service center said they cannot change the cabin camera due to them not seeing any issues.
---- Still cannot use AP in the early morning and night without blasting the screen brightness. The service center just said keep reporting the issue and click on the camera report thing on the screen and verbal report bug.... which I have been doing constantly. Kind of gave up at this point either they don't care or don't believe me even though I've provided multiple time stamps. This issue is easily replicated on a daily basis not a one off as anyone whose had this issue knows. Maybe I should just record a video of it and post it on social media to get them to do something, which even that probably they don't care to address. Just frustrating that I expected them to come out and they simply say eh we don't see a problem we closing the ticket. Amazing

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: QUBO
I've gained more experience with the IR illuminator intended for use with cameras linked by dtdtdt.

Rather comically, I got my first "genuine" obstructed cabin camera red hands autosteer abort because of my poor mounting of it. The illuminator shifted position slightly going around a very tight cloverleaf onramp and blocked just a bit too much of the field of view of the cabin camera.

When I did a quick adjustment for that, my position had it even more pointed away from the driver than before, which is probably why I got one more autosteer abort on the way home that I'm sure was darkness related. Without changing the position, I cranked up the intensity a little, and made it all the way home including the zero streetlight residential streets in my neighborhood.

As even if the real problem is that my individual car is defective in having a non-functioning IR illuminator installation, I have zero hope of getting Tesla to fix it any time soon, I will probably try to improve my improvised installation. I've ordered a 3-foot USB-C cable, which should allow me to recharge this illuminator using one of the console outlets in my model Y without moving the illuminator.

I've gained more experience with the IR illuminator intended for use with cameras linked by dtdtdt.

Rather comically, I got my first "genuine" obstructed cabin camera red hands autosteer abort because of my poor mounting of it. The illuminator shifted position slightly going around a very tight cloverleaf onramp and blocked just a bit too much of the field of view of the cabin camera.

When I did a quick adjustment for that, my position had it even more pointed away from the driver than before, which is probably why I got one more autosteer abort on the way home that I'm sure was darkness related. Without changing the position, I cranked up the intensity a little, and made it all the way home including the zero streetlight residential streets in my neighborhood.

As even if the real problem is that my individual car is defective in having a non-functioning IR illuminator installation, I have zero hope of getting Tesla to fix it any time soon, I will probably try to improve my improvised installation. I've ordered a 3-foot USB-C cable, which should allow me to recharge this illuminator using one of the console outlets in my model Y without moving the illuminator.
can you take a photo how you mounted this IR sensor? I would be interested in trying this but it looks quite bulky, Wonder if there is anything that can be mounted in a different place.

can you take a photo how you mounted this IR sensor?
As it happens I took a picture last night, but with garage lighting it was deplorable. So, prompted by your request, I backed the car out into the rainy daylight and took a picture. Then I rotated the illuminator in hopes of making "real" cabin camera obstruction less likely, and took a second picture.

This first picture is the way the thing came home last night after I shifted it a bit in response to the real obstruction message. In this position it was not pointed toward the driver very well, and it was unable entirely to defend me from low-light termination when the illuminator was at the lowest output setting, but did allow me to complete my journey in FSDb when I turned it up "a bit".

Mir_Ill_1st.jpg

This second picture was taken just a little later, after I rotated the unit to get the mounting protrusion away from the cabin camera. It is also pointing pretty directly at the driver. I doubt it is very stable, though perhaps I could add another rubber band and improve that.
Mir_Ill_2nd.jpg

As it happens I took a picture last night, but with garage lighting it was deplorable. So, prompted by your request, I backed the car out into the rainy daylight and took a picture. Then I rotated the illuminator in hopes of making "real" cabin camera obstruction less likely, and took a second picture.

This first picture is the way the thing came home last night after I shifted it a bit in response to the real obstruction message. In this position it was not pointed toward the driver very well, and it was unable entirely to defend me from low-light termination when the illuminator was at the lowest output setting, but did allow me to complete my journey in FSDb when I turned it up "a bit".

View attachment 860248

This second picture was taken just a little later, after I rotated the unit to get the mounting protrusion away from the cabin camera. It is also pointing pretty directly at the driver. I doubt it is very stable, though perhaps I could add another rubber band and improve that.
View attachment 860249
Oh wow thanks. That is definitely an eye 👁️ stink. I read someone was using a led light they use for books attached to the sun visor. But I can’t imagine a light shining at you while driving is comfortable.

Still feel it’s kind of ridiculous that we have to jerry rig up this nonsense after paying for FSD. That’s my biggest complaint it’s not like it was free 🤦

Reactions: Aayyo and bhakan
It is possible that the dtdtdt IR illuminator would fill the cabin with sufficient light for this purpose just placed on the cellphone charging shelf, if turned up to full power. That would go a long way to solving the mounting problem. If less than full power is enough, it still might have pretty good battery life.

I did not try that first because my earlier effort to provide illumination by placing a headlamp in that position failed, and the IR illuminators shown in a couple of pictures or videos as built-in to some recent-build Teslas are up in the housing behind the mirror.

The next time my quick-try mount fails, I'll try just placing the illuminator on the charging shelf.

I don't claim to have found a good solution--but hope I am adding a few crumbs of information to this mess. Also I hope I am getting the opportunity to use FSDb at night without getting autosteer aborts for cabin camera obstruction.

Reactions: bhakan
I have had this issue since I received the beta software and started driving at night. It is just recently that it started getting dark early, Tesla claims everything is working fine and it's the beta software. If that were true everyone would have the problem,

I have created a second driver profile with FSD turned off. This way I can use autosteer at night.

I have had this issue since I received the beta software and started driving at night.
Which model do you have, and when and where was it built? I'm asking because some newer ones are reputed to be built with IR illuminators. My guess is that they are, but that a significant fraction don't work properly for this purpose--but I'd like to adjust the guess based on data. My model Y was built in Fremont in February 2022, and definitely is later than the date some people claim was the cutover time for routine installation of IR illuminators on model 3 and Y at Fremont.

I also have had this issue since I received the beta software and started driving at dusk or night. A temporary measure I took to use the FSD beta at night was to set the touchscreen to BRIGHT mode and the brightness to AUTO. No cabin camera error occurred when using FSD beta even if the brightness was lowered to 50% or less in bright mode, not dark mode.
And my model Y was built in Fremont in February 2022.