Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin Camera Blinded Error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cabin Camera Saga!!

I have had a very poor FSD Beta experience since the introduction of the “Interior Camera Monitoring Update”.

My 2021 LR S was built with the camera without proper shielding and would place my cars GPS position anywhere from 10-several hundred feet away from it’s actual position. (Many posts in the GPS error threads)

Fast forward, and many months later, I was finally able to get to someone who took the time to actually help at Tesla and the camera was scheduled to be replaced on Friday 11/4/22.

Miraculously all of my GPS errors were fixed!!

That night I was driving home and as soon as I tried to start FSD I received the “Camera is Blinded” error. I started looking around the board and saw that it is a known issue to some. My camera replacement was part # 1588124-00-J Interior Camera, IR (Left Hand Drive)

After a little research found that you can use your iPhone to actually see IR light and after testing on a TV remote went out to the car and NOPE no IR light at all.

Have any of you plagued with this been given any update that a new FW update or Software update is able to rectify or are we going going to have to go through the camera swap out process again?

Than you to the TMC community!!

2A4C8100-878C-4352-99E7-2DF491B52526.jpeg
E9EBC248-9C59-4186-9883-A95E5F2F2A31.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: nvx1977
Cabin Camera Saga!!

I have had a very poor FSD Beta experience since the introduction of the “Interior Camera Monitoring Update”.

My 2021 LR S was built with the camera without proper shielding and would place my cars GPS position anywhere from 10-several hundred feet away from it’s actual position. (Many posts in the GPS error threads)

Fast forward, and many months later, I was finally able to get to someone who took the time to actually help at Tesla and the camera was scheduled to be replaced on Friday 11/4/22.

That night I was driving home and as soon as I tried to start FSD I received the “Camera is Blinded” error. I started looking around the board and saw that it is a known issue to some. My camera replacement was part # 1588124-00-J Interior Camera, IR (Left Hand Drive)

After a little research found that you can use your iPhone to actually see IR light and after testing on a TV remote went out to the car and NOPE no IR light at all.

Have any of you plagued with this been given any update that a new FW update or Software update is able to rectify or are we going going to have to go through the camera swap out process again?

View attachment 871664View attachment 871665
I see that the model s and x have IR sensor but the 3 and y do as well?

Yes they started to implement them in to the 3 & Y some time ago. Apparently it is the same camera part # across the full line up of Tesla’s now
I definitely don’t have the IR when opening my camera looking at the cabin camera but the service center here is refusing to do anything I’m at a loss

This is what they sent me after waiting 3 weeks and the day before the appointment they cancel me again ( second time )

Attachments

• 18A8777B-BED8-4A12-9A5A-423EAD277D40.jpeg
    18A8777B-BED8-4A12-9A5A-423EAD277D40.jpeg
    247.3 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Cabin Camera Saga!!

View attachment 871664View attachment 871665
I did not have any cabin camera blinded error messages. Mine was more to do with the cabin camera not recognizing that I was paying attention to the road with red hand warning and subsequent Strikes only when it is dark inside the cabin. I posted those in FSD 10.69 thread and False FSD Strikes thread. I increased the Brightness to 100% and Appearance to Day . But I still had the issue. Finally my SC replaced the cabin camera on 10/28/22 just like yours. I had the above issue recurring after the swap also and I stopped using the car at night and drove my other car.

After 69.2.4 install on 11/01/22, I don't have as many red hand warnings at night the last few days. I still get a few when there is not much light but overall it is bearable. Before I cannot even drive 100ft without constant warnings and Strikes. I had been emailing the Earlyaccess also with time stamps for them to figure out. I had an appt on 11/8 with my SC which I have rescheduled to next week as I have sent more information with date and time stamps to them this evening.

I can see the IR sensor on my remote with my Pixel Pro phone camera and I tried to take a picture this evening. To me it seems like my IR sensors are defective.

Cabin camera swap.pngPXL_20221106_202854017.NIGHT.jpg

Reactions: boonedocks
Maybe try a little more reporting...What I mean by that is, you really need to report EVERY time it happens, EVERY day....make another appointment and in the chat every time it gives you the error, report it there ALSO. Also just for fully documenting it, take a picture of the cabin camera as well as the screen(in the same picture) to show that the camera is not blinded and shows the error on the screen. Let them know that you have that picture in every message you send them in the service chat.

Now I guess we also need to make absolutely sure that it is always saying the CABIN camera is blinded vs any other camera.

Squeaky wheel gets the grease, you just need to squeak more. I had my cabin camera replaced in my 2018 3LR

Here’s a clip for those wondering, this error pops up every minute basically can’t use AP at all because of this issue

The last error that happened I was able to freeze the video on the initial blue error before it went read steering wheel but i couldn't read what the error said. I could believe that it was the same error but I couldn't read it... In any case, I stand by my "squeak more" comments. If it really happens every minute then take a 5 minute video showing it happen 4-5 times and tell them about that also.

The last error that happened I was able to freeze the video on the initial blue error before it went read steering wheel but i couldn't read what the error said. I could believe that it was the same error but I couldn't read it... In any case, I stand by my "squeak more" comments. If it really happens every minute then take a 5 minute video showing it happen 4-5 times and tell them about that also.
It’s always this error

Attachments

• FEBBB588-38A7-4398-AC92-44A892F29CCE.png
    FEBBB588-38A7-4398-AC92-44A892F29CCE.png
    440.3 KB · Views: 129
It's been a while, but the last time I saw a photo of the IR emitters on the refreshed S, there were two of them ADJACENT to the actual cabin camera.

I have yet to see any photos that resemble this on the 3/Y. To check if your car has them, any cell phone camera should pick up on the IR. On your phone screen, it will look like two lit LEDs, one on each side of the cabin camera. Test at night, obviously, though I think the IR emitters are always on.

Issues regarding false paying attention errors are likely not related to the "blinded camera" issue that this thread is about.

Assuming the cabin camera blinded error is happening on recent 3/Y not equipped with IR emitters, I suspect that the problem is that the overall exposure levels are lower on the new camera hardware, and in low light where previous models could still pick up trace amounts of light, this new camera cannot (without in increase in exposure adjustment). When service center tests the camera, it clearly works "within spec" because in most lighting conditions, the cabin camera works fine. It obviously does not work "within spec" in very low light conditions, but if they're just replacing it with the same model camera, it's not going to solve anything. The SCs really do need engineering to come up with a fix (either fix the exposure, or use different camera hardware).

Attachments

• 1667825634344.jpeg
    1667825634344.jpeg
    28.6 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Reactions: Dewg and boonedocks
Here’s a clip for those wondering, this error pops up every minute basically can’t use AP at all because of this issue

I have the same experiences as you.

To suggest a way to use FSD beta at night, please set the display appearance to be Light, not to be dark or auto mode.
And brightness level is to be Auto. It doesn't matter if it's manually operated with minimal brightness.

Definitely no IR emitters in your 2022 Model Y. I really think this is a low exposure problem with newer cabin camera hardware. There are much darker areas I drive in exurban New Hampshire that cause my pillar cameras to complain about being blinded while using FSDb, but even then, the cabin camera never complains. 2018 Model 3. I have not messed with my touchscreen brightness to compensate, ever (but I think that's the best workaround for people having the cabin camera blinded error).

For those with working IR lighting...

Are you able to use your iPhone to see the IR lighting all the time or only at night. (I can for example see the IR emitter on my TV remote in any lighting).

I am being told by my Service Center that it is a FSD Beta Firmware issue. I don't see my 2021 MS LR IR lights at any time of the day or night now that my camera has been swapped out for GPS issues.

If you can see the IR lights in the daylight hours could you take a snapshot and post?

Thank you all.

So I came across Bjorn on YouTube and he clearly has two IR sensors which are seen in his Model Y he’s driving, I have no IR sensors on my 2022 MYP

Attachments

• 5D6E056C-CEBD-4C8F-B066-547D3F9AAC8B.png
    5D6E056C-CEBD-4C8F-B066-547D3F9AAC8B.png
    608.5 KB · Views: 111
So I came across Bjorn on YouTube and he clearly has two IR sensors which are seen in his Model Y he’s driving, I have no IR sensors on my 2022 MYP
Just a picky point about the terminology. A sensor detects--so in this case that would be your cabin camera. But you are talking about two things that generate IR light. You could call these illuminators, or emitters, or even LEDs (most likely they are that technology) or "IR lights", but not sensors.

Reactions: laservet
Just a picky point about the terminology. A sensor detects--so in this case that would be your cabin camera. But you are talking about two things that generate IR light. You could call these illuminators, or emitters, or even LEDs (most likely they are that technology) or "IR lights", but not sensors.
Yes this all I’m saying is that somewhere in model y 2022s the cabin cameras are not working or did not ship with them

• Love
Reactions: boonedocks