Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin Camera Blinded Error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I linked the model S LR 2022 model photos earlier in this thread for a friend you has an early 2022 LR model S. He was thoroughly persuaded that he must not have IR emitters, as he could see no hint of provision from them. But he tried the iPhone test at night in his garage--still did not see them. Then he backed out of the garage and took a last iPhone look--and there they were.

Bottom line--I don't think we have a perfectly defined condition for just what state of things turns them on.

After writing that, I tried that sequence in our new (mid-October Fremont build) model 3 RWD, still can't see any. Darn.

Okay - Big update, just got my car back from service, they replaced the interior camera and boom I have IRs now.

This pretty much can confirm this is not a software problem. I had no recent update. Took a 15 minute drive no cabin camera blocked errors.

Hope this can finally bring resolution to people having this problem. All I can gather it seems to be a big problem on 2022 builds

A good way to see if you have this problem other than the error is to take a photo at low light to see if you have those dots next to the camera lens. If you do not see them schedule to have it replaced.

This was the invoice of the part

INTERIOR CAMERA, IR(1588124-90-I)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 439
  • AB1F0CDC-E2B5-40EB-97AE-D79B072FB32E.jpeg
    AB1F0CDC-E2B5-40EB-97AE-D79B072FB32E.jpeg
    362.1 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Hamtaro7. Thanks.

Wow. Very clear.

What did you do to turn on the IR emitters? Or were they already on by the time you pointed your camera at them?

I've got a 2022 (March delivery) Y and a 2023 November delivery 3 and have been unable to detect IRs on either. I'm quite sure the Y lacks them--as I have the night time autosteer abort in dark conditions very badly. On the 3 I don't have FSDb software yet, so am not sure whether I just don't know the "open sesame".

Hamtaro7. Thanks.

Wow. Very clear.

What did you do to turn on the IR emitters? Or were they already on by the time you pointed your camera at them?

I've got a 2022 (March delivery) Y and a 2023 November delivery 3 and have been unable to detect IRs on either. I'm quite sure the Y lacks them--as I have the night time autosteer abort in dark conditions very badly. On the 3 I don't have FSDb software yet, so am not sure whether I just don't know the "open sesame".
As soon as I put the car into drive they appeared.

Im not surprised if this is an issue with the 3s also. Probably going to end up in some recall once they truly utilize the cabin camera. I only had these problems once I got into the beta so for non beta vehicle it may not be that strict on the tracking but that’s just my guess.

Reactions: boonedocks
Okay - Big update, just got my car back from service, they replaced the interior camera and boom I have IRs now.

This pretty much can confirm this is not a software problem. I had no recent update. Took a 15 minute drive no cabin camera blocked errors.

Hope this can finally bring resolution to people having this problem. All I can gather it seems to be a big problem on 2022 builds

A good way to see if you have this problem other than the error is to take a photo at low light to see if you have those dots next to the camera lens. If you do not see them schedule to have it replaced.

This was the invoice of the part

INTERIOR CAMERA, IR(1588124-90-I)
Just got off the phone with service center and they said this part number was not compatible with my 22 MYLR (I have the "latest" part), and that part was for Model S/X. Curious how you worded your request to get the part change?

I’ve had this problem for a while. At first, I thought it was because my tinted windows weren’t letting in enough light at night. Thanks to this thread, I checked and confirmed that my camera array seems to lack the IR feature. My MYP (March 2022 build) is at the service center now awaiting new parts:

• INTERIOR CAMERA, IR (LHD). (1588124-90-1)
  • ASSY, TRIPLE CAMERA, RVM, MY (1514448-00-F)
Both described as “remove and replace.” We’ll see what happens.

Last edited:
I’ve had this problem for a while. At first, I thought it was because my tinted windows weren’t letting in enough light at night. Thanks to this thread, I checked and confirmed that my camera array seems to lack the IR feature. My 2022 (march build) MYP is at the service center now awaiting new parts:

• INTERIOR CAMERA, IR (LHD). (1588124-90-1)
  • ASSY, TRIPLE CAMERA, RVM, MY (1514448-00-F)
Both described as “remove and replace.” We’ll see what ultimate happens.
Thanks for this - could you send a photo of the newly installed unit after you get your vehicle back?

Thanks for this - could you send a photo of the newly installed unit after you get your vehicle back?
Update: got my car back today. Service replaced the interior camera (part # 1588124-90-1) and now AP/FSD work at night as expected. No more errors!

I don’t remember how the original camera looked prior to replacement, but I took a photo of the new camera and posted it below. Maybe you can spot the difference? Also, note the IR lights in the second photo.

Attachments

• AEF27852-3E99-490A-84F2-81CE5B4152DE.jpeg
    AEF27852-3E99-490A-84F2-81CE5B4152DE.jpeg
    165.6 KB · Views: 106
  • 741FCE83-CFE1-4AA0-A379-CE12869C69BE.jpeg
    741FCE83-CFE1-4AA0-A379-CE12869C69BE.jpeg
    161.1 KB · Views: 100
Update: got my car back today. Service replaced the interior camera (part # 1588124-90-1) and now AP/FSD work at night as expected. No more errors!

I don’t remember how the original camera looked prior to replacement, but I took a photo of the new camera and posted it below. Maybe you can spot the difference? Also, note the IR lights in the second photo.
Looks somewhat identical to mine (with non-functional/missing IR emitters). Maybe your lens glass element looks a little darker or pushed in? I should probably open mine up and take a look to see if there are diodes.

Attachments

• 1671659579463.jpeg
    1671659579463.jpeg
    417 KB · Views: 94
  • 1671659606156.jpeg
    1671659606156.jpeg
    393.6 KB · Views: 95
Quick update, mobile service technician came and said the 1588124-90-I part was compatible but there weren't any available in the area (it's believed my 2022 LR build has the "-G" part, which is considered outdated and no longer in the system). They said they would try to order the part for this appointment! So fingers crossed for a follow up in the next few weeks.

The model Y we got in March 2022 and for which we got FSDb in June has had the camera blinded error right along from the beginning. I bought an IR source and a clamp, and we have gotten by using my own light source when we drive at night.

Our new model 3 was built in Fremont in mid-October, and also does not appear to have IR illuminators so far as my iPhone can see. When I finally got FSDb software this week, I expected it to give me this error on the darker city streets, and definitely in my neighborhood, which lacks street lights, and has dark enough skies that I routinely can pick up three or four stars in the Little Dipper.

Still, I have not yet seen this error. Possibly it has a cabin camera that is somewhat more sensitive in low light levels than our Y. Possibly they have adjusted the software to set the nighttime display screen light production higher. Possibly they have made some other software adjustment. Possibly it really has IR illuminators and I failed to notice them with my iPhone somehow.

Another possibility that is doubtless helping me from home to neighborhood is that the auto high beams have actually been giving me high beams for the trip through my neighborhood to my house. The behavior seems to be that If I get above 25 mph on the entry road with no car in sight it goes to high beam, and stays there clear down to full stop so long as another car is not detected. The high beams certainly mean more reflected light gets back into the car cabin to light up my face.

So I need to do a better dark test by setting off from my house and going uphill to the darker streets without ever getting above 25 mph, so the low beams stay on.

The model Y we got in March 2022 and for which we got FSDb in June has had the camera blinded error right along from the beginning. I bought an IR source and a clamp, and we have gotten by using my own light source when we drive at night.

Our new model 3 was built in Fremont in mid-October, and also does not appear to have IR illuminators so far as my iPhone can see. When I finally got FSDb software this week, I expected it to give me this error on the darker city streets, and definitely in my neighborhood, which lacks street lights, and has dark enough skies that I routinely can pick up three or four stars in the Little Dipper.

Still, I have not yet seen this error. Possibly it has a cabin camera that is somewhat more sensitive in low light levels than our Y. Possibly they have adjusted the software to set the nighttime display screen light production higher. Possibly they have made some other software adjustment. Possibly it really has IR illuminators and I failed to notice them with my iPhone somehow.

Another possibility that is doubtless helping me from home to neighborhood is that the auto high beams have actually been giving me high beams for the trip through my neighborhood to my house. The behavior seems to be that If I get above 25 mph on the entry road with no car in sight it goes to high beam, and stays there clear down to full stop so long as another car is not detected. The high beams certainly mean more reflected light gets back into the car cabin to light up my face.

So I need to do a better dark test by setting off from my house and going uphill to the darker streets without ever getting above 25 mph, so the low beams stay on.
I guess another good indication would be to check the interior camera from sentry mode to see if there is any notable difference. Having since had the part changed out I have no issues at all now.

MYL, Fremont, March 2022.

I replaced the CABIN CAMERA at service center today. There are no more blind error messages, and the FSD Beta works perfectly on a dark night.
Please refer to the attached before and after pictures. Prior to replacement, IR did not work, and objects could not be identified when the indoor camera was activated in the dark. However, after replacement, IR works and objects can be identified.

The replaced part number on the invoice is INTERIOR CAMERA, IR (LHD) ( 1588124-90-I ).

Cabin Camera Before and After (1).jpg
Cabin Camera Before and After (2).jpg
IMG_9182.JPG

Has anyone filed an NHTSA complaint for this? Seems like it is affecting many older M3 owners.
Same for newer MYP. I’m giving Tesla one more Service chance by heading to a service center when it’s darker outside. They keep saying the car may have times it can’t see the lines and I have to keep arguing with the techs that it has nothing to do with the outside camera. I repeat over and over it’s the interior camera and it can’t see at night at all. If they don’t replace it with one with IR lights I will file my NHTSA complaint.

I even got a small IR flashlight and have it shining on me while driving and I do not get the error while doing this.

Same for newer MYP. I’m giving Tesla one more Service chance by heading to a service center when it’s darker outside. They keep saying the car may have times it can’t see the lines and I have to keep arguing with the techs that it has nothing to do with the outside camera. I repeat over and over it’s the interior camera and it can’t see at night at all. If they don’t replace it with one with IR lights I will file my NHTSA complaint.

I even got a small IR flashlight and have it shining on me while driving and I do not get the error while doing this.
Did you mention the error you receive about the cabin camera being covered? FWIW, here's the wording I used on my service request:

Cannot activate Autopilot or FSD Beta at night. Message appears: "Cabin camera is covered or blinded." Cleaned and checked the camera lens, all seems normal. Please advise. Most recent failed night-time autopilot attempt: [insert date and time of last failed attempt that causes the error message to appear]

Reactions: derotam