Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin Camera Blinded Error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, and did a big report at the time, included photos of the error. I also included video. They fall back in the FSD thing and say it is a firmware issue. However, this time I’m going to show up at night and show them the posts from others showing the IR lights. Mine does not have them. Pretty much a hardware issue. Hopefully, they have a model there that the IR shows up.

Reactions: boonedocks
Same for newer MYP. I’m giving Tesla one more Service chance by heading to a service center when it’s darker outside. They keep saying the car may have times it can’t see the lines and I have to keep arguing with the techs that it has nothing to do with the outside camera. I repeat over and over it’s the interior camera and it can’t see at night at all. If they don’t replace it with one with IR lights I will file my NHTSA complaint.

I even got a small IR flashlight and have it shining on me while driving and I do not get the error while doing this.

I had same issue with my Nov 2023 MYLR, and requested a service appointment, no questions asked, the service tech came and directly replaced my cabin camera, same part as others reported. I am based in Toronto.

Put in a service request yesterday night about this error. My vehicle is a MYLR delivered Dec 2022 built in Austin. This morning I got a reply:
Technicians checked your vehicle remotely and found the cabin camera concern to be related to a known firmware bug that has not been resolved at this time. A permanent fix will be released in a future over the air update. No ETA on firmware but it is under investigation and a fix will be released to the fleet. At this time a service visit is not needed.

Put in a service request yesterday night about this error. My vehicle is a MYLR delivered Dec 2022 built in Austin. This morning I got a reply:
Technicians checked your vehicle remotely and found the cabin camera concern to be related to a known firmware bug that has not been resolved at this time. A permanent fix will be released in a future over the air update. No ETA on firmware but it is under investigation and a fix will be released to the fleet. At this time a service visit is not needed.
Yep. They have been saying that for months Hmmmmm…..the VW ID7 looks tempting.

I reported this through the Tesla app and got an appointment for a few days later in Seattle. They found a problem with the camera and replaced it. I think they swapped a regular cabin camera (early 2022) for the IR camera module they are installing in new Model Y's or just fixed the IR LEDs that weren't working before. I used to see the cabin live camera feed completely dark at night, and no LED's showed when pointing with a phone camera.

You can check if you have IR LEDs and they are working by pointing with a phone camera above the rearview mirror while driving at night (someone else should do this while you drive). You can also point with a phone camera from outside the car while looking at the cabin live camera feed on sentry mode from the mobile app, it should show the LEDs that can't be seen normally.

You can also check the cabin camera from the Tesla app while in sentry mode to see if it show a nice infrared view of the interior when it's dark. If the interior is completely dark, then they need to replace your cabin camera.

When requesting support, be very clear and detailed about all the information you already gathered, so they know that you know what you are saying.

I've got a February 2022 build model Y which had the false camera obstructed autosteer abort problem as soon as I got FSDb running in June 2022. I had aborts at a consistent place on a major six-lane arterial road, and even once on an urban interstate. My dark neighborhood (no street lights, customarily homes show little light, almost no traffic) did not allow me to drive more than a couple of hundred feet without the red hands of death. I bought and used an IR illuminator hung from the rear view mirror, which allowed use of the system. One attempted service appointment in mid-September was closed on the grounds that the car did not log any errors for which they had solutions, and the camera obstructed error was deemed an oddity of beta software. The tech volunteered that he had never seen an IR illuminator (plainly implying they did not exist).

We got a new 3 in addition which is an October 2022 build (model year 2023). Since FSDb got installed on December 17 I've never gotten a camera obstructed autosteer abort. I've tried and failed repeatedly to detect IR illumination, so have assumed this car also lacks them.

Tonight I tried the acid test of driving around my dark neighborhood. In 17 minutes of driving I covered 3.1 miles, mostly of very, very dark roads. Zero camera obstructed alerts. I feel certain this is a different condition than the Y had all summer.

I'm puzzled. Here are some possibilities:

1. the 3 actually has IR illuminators, but my iPhone mini as used by me does not show them.
2. this 3 came with a cabin camera more sensitive to low level light than our Y
3. The software turned up the brightness of the night mode on the cabin screen enough for the camera to just get by
4. The software got clever enough to check whether the car has IR illumination, and is somehow programmed to give the user a break if things are just too dark.

My next move is to take the Y around the neighborhood. For sure that has the same cabin camera and (lack of) IR illuminators from Tesla as it always had. So if the reason the 3 works is some kind of software tweak, maybe the Y will work now also. If it does not work, then maybe I should try again to get a service appointment. Maybe since September 20 the instructions provided to the service techs have changed--or maybe I'll just get lucky and get a cooperative one, also some folks posting here have.

My next move is to take the Y around the neighborhood.
I took the Y around the neighborhood on the same path for which the 3 succeeded two days ago. For my first two trials, it ran for well under a minute before getting the read hands of death, autosteer aborted. Cabin camera ... errors. After those two, I turned on my after-market illuminator clamped to the rear view mirror turned down to the lowest setting, and continued with entire success for about eight more minutes, on very dark, curvy, hilly neighborhood roads. Then I turned off the illuminator and once again got the error with a very few seconds.

So, on the same software release, my 3 and my Y are very, very different regarding this problem.

If Tesla were willing, I think they could fix my Y by a hardware change (probably a cabin camera replacement using one that fits this model that has the substring "IR" contained in the part number).

I have the same problem. I just picked up my 2023 Model Y LR made in Austin last week and I get the "Cabin camera is covered or blinded." Then Autopilot disengages. I opened an appointment with Tesla Service and they said the camera was testing fine. I am going to test the IR emitters and see if they work tonight, or did they remove them as "no part is the best part"?

• Funny
Reactions: CHILLIBAJJI
we all should open serivce with two items
1. auto pilot error... (dont' say FSD error)
2. Cabin camers shows nothing during sentry mode/dog mode at night - and that it should... like others..

AND open a FTC case, NHTSA case

them BS'ing saying your car has latest or new IR camera is not campatible with your car are just BS... how could other Model Y have IR cameras and some don't... they slapped whatever they found duing assembly.. taking customer for granted...
I wonder whatelse we are missing in our cars that we don't know about..

This is a good check for people at night I would think, to make sure hardware is good. Can’t be done in dog mode though due to screen illumination.

Probably need a reference vehicle in same lighting conditions though.
My 2021 MY doesn't have IR for the cabin camera. There are no emitters visible, and to confirm I took a pic and there are no red lights. It's most likely because I'm in the pretty dense suburbs of Orange County that nighttime drives aren't a problem for me. Plenty of street lights and headlights from other cars to keep my face illuminated.

After getting cabin blinded error (2023 MYLR) I turned on Display Light mode (I was using auto and it was switching to dark mode at night). This worked! FSD stopped complaining.
I tried other things such as turned on dome lights. one side on and both on. That didn't work for me. Also tried turning up brightness of display to 100% That didn't work. It's so strange how some of these work for some people and doesn't work for others.

I think it comes down to light and what camera sees relative to light...
It worked for me on illuminated highway when I first engaged FSD... as I moved to darker area it stopped.... once it stopped it never came back even though came back to same lit highway...
As some pointed out, it also depends on what you are wearing.. may be skin complexion... it's all relative to how camera can distiguish from prev frame to next...

but... we know it works 100% if you have IR emitters... if you don't.. it's IFFY.. and we need 100% from tesla for what we paid.