Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin camera broken

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I searched but didn't see anybody with this issue. Error showed on screen as "cabin camera unavailable/Schedule service if this issue persists" for the past few months for a minute and disappears from screen. I enter the fsd beta last year and I'm guessing that's when camera started recording. I had a few instance last month when using fsd that it would alert me to pay attention to the road even when I was looking up. Yesterday it seems like camera is completely stopped functioning correctly. Every time I turn on fsd it'll start blinking blue with alert to pay attention to road. I'm on my 5th strike before I lose fsd.

With fsd off and using just autopilot, it nag consistently to hold steering wheel. Seems like the threshold of force required is higher than before.

2018 Model 3 Mid Range
I'm at 85,000 miles so I'm out of warranty. Had to pay $1400 for malfuctioning power conversion system 2 weeks ago. Could no longer charge at home with mobile charger. Hopefully this will help others that may encounter the same issue.

I had this repair done under warranty, so no info on cost. Here's the part numbers:

ASY,HARN,GLASS 1068787- 00-E
ASY, SECURITY CAMERA 1098383-00- G

Attachments

• Model3_camera_interior.JPG
    Model3_camera_interior.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 1,015
...it’s not covered under the fsd upgrade functionality...
That is a very important point.

Since FSD has been taking a long time, there's a risk of broken FSD components when the warranty runs out while the FSD has not been realized.

To avoid that risk, don't buy FSD unless it will be good enough within the new car warranty period.

My definition of good enough is: it should have a collision avoidance system that's functional without the need of a driver.

I just scheduled service for my cabin camera. It does not like to work in the mornings. In the afternoons I do not have an issue with it. I suspected a calibration problem. Bad lighting seems to cause it to complain. It went away after a few minutes until the last update where now it immediately starts telling me to pay attention to the road and flashing blue when it gives the camera error message. The first time it happened I kept trying to engage autopilot with it and it gave me a strike on my FSD. So, now I do not try to reengage it after failure until next drive.

I hope that they can recalibrate it vs the $750 repair mentioned above!

I just scheduled service for my cabin camera. It does not like to work in the mornings. In the afternoons I do not have an issue with it. I suspected a calibration problem. Bad lighting seems to cause it to complain. It went away after a few minutes until the last update where now it immediately starts telling me to pay attention to the road and flashing blue when it gives the camera error message. The first time it happened I kept trying to engage autopilot with it and it gave me a strike on my FSD. So, now I do not try to reengage it after failure until next drive.

I hope that they can recalibrate it vs the $750 repair mentioned above!
Please let us know whether it was a calibration issue. I’m having the exact same issue as @vythai.

One reason that leads me to think it’s a calibration/software issue is that when I disable FSD Beta and just use Autopilot, I still receive a warning saying to keep my hands on the wheel with rapid blue flashing and the audible warning.

I then have to nudge the wheel harder than usual for the warning to clear and the visualization to stop flashing blue. It will happen again just a few seconds later though—every time jumping straight to the audible and visual warning instead of progressing from a slow pulsating blue to rapid flashing.

Reactions: NSX95
Since FSD has been taking a long time, there's a risk of broken FSD components when the warranty runs out while the FSD has not been realized.
To avoid that risk, don't buy FSD unless it will be good enough within the new car warranty period.
Common, don't beat around the bush, and come out and just say it - FSD is a rip-off, don't waste money on the stupid thing!
;)

I read recently that Enhanced Auto Pilot (EAP) is going to become available again. Apparently, It’ll be roughly 1/2 of what FSD costs, but I can tell you it brings about 70-80% of the features that FSD currently gives. I’ve had EAP for about 3 years now, and think it’s a much better deal considering what you actually get. Paying full price back in 2018 for ‘pie-in-the-sky’ features for me was, well… ludicrous.

Reactions: afadeev
I read recently that Enhanced Auto Pilot (EAP) is going to become available again. Apparently, It’ll be roughly 1/2 of what FSD costs, but I can tell you it brings about 70-80% of the features that FSD currently gives. I’ve had EAP for about 3 years now, and think it’s a much better deal considering what you actually get. Paying full price back in 2018 for ‘pie-in-the-sky’ features for me was, well… ludicrous.
I paid $3,000 in 2018 for FSD, so considering the price of it now, I definitely don’t regret buying it despite the length of time it’s taken to roll out.

I paid $5,000 for EAP at the time, so I’m curious to see what the cost of it will be when Tesla brings it back to the US.

I paid $3,000 in 2018 for FSD, so considering the price of it now, I definitely don’t regret buying it despite the length of time it’s taken to roll out.

Interesting logic on display here: you paid $3K for vaporware, and the feature still doesn't work.
But you feel great about that, because the same vaporware is now priced higher?

a

Interesting logic on display here: you paid $3K for vaporware, and the feature still doesn't work.
But you feel great about that, because the same vaporware is now priced higher?

a
Tesla didn’t hide the fact that they were still working on the technology, so I don’t see how you can label it as vaporware—especially since EAP contains most of what FSD is capable of.

Also, it’s labeled Beta for a reason, so trying to hold the current performance of FSD against Tesla as some sort of proof of failure is either a result of impatience, unrealistic expectations, and/or lack of understanding the FSD program/offering.

Feeling good about adding FSD for $3,000 vs. $12,000 for the same level of access seems reasonable to me.

Tesla didn’t hide the fact that they were still working on the technology, so I don’t see how you can label it as vaporware—especially since EAP contains most of what FSD is capable of.

FSD being vaporware - that's super easy. If someone swears the product will work by end of 2017 (5 years ago) and it still doesn't - it's vaporware.
The vast majority of folks were buying FSD NOT because Elon was "working on it". People were shelling out cash a product based on a promise that it will be functional in the near future, by a very finite promised date.

EAP is not offered for sale for Model 3's. There is a rumor that it may be in the future, now that FSD has been priced into oblivion and FSD's take rate has dropped into single digit %.

Also, it’s labeled Beta for a reason, so trying to hold the current performance of FSD against Tesla as some sort of proof of failure is either a result of impatience, unrealistic expectations, and/or lack of understanding the FSD program/offering.

Labelling something a "Beta" for 10+ years (AP) does not absolve one from the responsibility to make it work.
FSD is not even a "Beta". It doesn't work well enough to qualify for an "Alpha" either. That's what makes it vaporware.

Feeling good about adding FSD for $3,000 vs. $12,000 for the same level of access seems reasonable to me.

Cool.
Hey, my man, I have a Brooklyn bridge to sell you for a very reasonable $1M.
Send cash ASAP, because the price will go up by 10x before the end of the year, and you will hate yourself for not having bought it now!

Cheers!

FSD being vaporware - that's super easy. If someone swears the product will work by end of 2017 (5 years ago) and it still doesn't - it's vaporware.
The vast majority of folks were buying FSD NOT because Elon was "working on it". People were shelling out cash a product based on a promise that it will be functional in the near future, by a very finite promised date.

EAP is not offered for sale for Model 3's. There is a rumor that it may be in the future, now that FSD has been priced into oblivion and FSD's take rate has dropped into single digit %.

Labelling something a "Beta" for 10+ years (AP) does not absolve one from the responsibility to make it work.
FSD is not even a "Beta". It doesn't work well enough to qualify for an "Alpha" either. That's what makes it vaporware.

Cool.
Hey, my man, I have a Brooklyn bridge to sell you for a very reasonable $1M.
Send cash ASAP, because the price will go up by 10x before the end of the year, and you will hate yourself for not having bought it now!

Cheers!
I can understand why people are upset with Musk‘s habit of overpromising, especially with FSD. My expectations for its release date and performance were just always realistic based on the information I was receiving at the moment, so I guess I simply wasn’t as disappointed and frustrated as a result.

EAP was an option for M3s in 2018. They’re considering bringing that option back, so if you’re saying EAP has never been an option, that would be incorrect.

In my experience, Autopilot has exceeded my expectations over the years and FSD is headed in that direction. We’ll just have to agree to disagree on our definitions of vaporware and FSD’s performance thus far.

As for your analogy, I didn’t expect the price of FSD to rise when I bought it, so I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make. I can’t do anything to change the conclusions you’ve reached though, so all I can say is I hope your experience improves along with the software in the future! As for me, I have no doubt that I made the right choice. 😁

I searched but didn't see anybody with this issue. Error showed on screen as "cabin camera unavailable/Schedule service if this issue persists" for the past few months for a minute and disappears from screen. I enter the fsd beta last year and I'm guessing that's when camera started recording. I had a few instance last month when using fsd that it would alert me to pay attention to the road even when I was looking up. Yesterday it seems like camera is completely stopped functioning correctly. Every time I turn on fsd it'll start blinking blue with alert to pay attention to road. I'm on my 5th strike before I lose fsd.

With fsd off and using just autopilot, it nag consistently to hold steering wheel. Seems like the threshold of force required is higher than before.

2018 Model 3 Mid Range
I'm at 85,000 miles so I'm out of warranty.
this is my almost exact experience. Received FSD 2 wks ago, and got the cabin camera warning. Nags started same day, along with the strikes on FSD: I got one strike on fsd, so I just stopped using it. My AP is about 60/40 works/doesn't work.

2018 Model 3 LR, 85k miles.

seems not correct that the cabin camera, which hasn't been used for the majority of the life of the car, is malfunctioning. When they started using the cabin camera for its current function, it worked fine... yelled at me appropriately when I was looking down too long. And it malfunctions the minute I update? And everyone has the same problem? It has to be a software bug. So, I will just wait for the fix... hopefully...............................

this is my almost exact experience. Received FSD 2 wks ago, and got the cabin camera warning. Nags started same day, along with the strikes on FSD: I got one strike on fsd, so I just stopped using it. My AP is about 60/40 works/doesn't work.

seems not correct that the cabin camera, which hasn't been used for the majority of the life of the car, is malfunctioning. When they started using the cabin camera for its current function, it worked fine... yelled at me appropriately when I was looking down too long. And it malfunctions the minute I update? And everyone has the same problem? It has to be a software bug. So, I will just wait for the fix... hopefully...............................
I’m thinking the exact same thing… It has to be a software bug. 🤞

Had the exact same experience. Enabled the FSD Beta when it was available about a month ago and on the first use (within a few seconds of turning it on) it warned me to keep my hands on the wheel and pay attention. With my hands on the wheel, putting pressure as needed for AP, and my eyes looking straight ahead, it continually gave chimes and warnings and then abruptly disengaged the FSD Beta for the day, telling me I had 4 more strikes.

I turned off the FSD Beta and the regular AP now was also sending me warnings to keep my hands on the wheel roughly every 30-60 seconds, despite my hands being on the wheel. I did a reset which didn't help, but the next time I got into the car, AP seemed to be back to normal.

Within a few days of the FSD Beta fiasco, I started getting Cabin Camera unavailable messages and to contact service if the issue persists. I scheduled an appointment and got an estimate of $750.00 to replace the camera because I am 12,000km over the 80,000km warranty. I've got 90 days left until I've reached 4 years.

This surely points to an issue with the cabin camera being there from the beginning and it only now being turned on because FSD beta needs to use it.

I'm pretty unimpressed with this not being covered under warranty.

It sure feels like this is a repair cost Tesla knew would be coming and delayed FSD beta so that any issues with the camera's would be out of warranty. It's not like the camera's have any moving parts or reason to stop working. And to charge $750.00 to replace a $40.00 part is obscene.

I will do my best to have them cover this under warranty but know that their SC in Toronto just doesn't really care about a bad customer experience.

Last edited:
Had the exact same experience. Enabled the FSD Beta when it was available about a month ago and on the first use (within a few seconds of turning it on) it warned me to keep my hands on the wheel and pay attention. With my hands on the wheel, putting pressure as needed for AP, and my eyes looking straight ahead, it continually gave chimes and warnings and then abruptly disengaged the FSD Beta for the day, telling me I had 4 more strikes.

I turned off the FSD Beta and the regular AP now was also sending me warnings to keep my hands on the wheel roughly every 30-60 seconds, despite my hands being on the wheel. I did a reset which didn't help, but the next time I got into the car, AP seemed to be back to normal.

Within a few days of the FSD Beta fiasco, I started getting Cabin Camera unavailable messages and to contact service if the issue persists. I scheduled an appointment and got an estimate of $750.00 to replace the camera because I am 12,000km over the 80,000km warranty. I've got 90 days left until I've reached 4 years.

This surely points to an issue with the cabin camera being there from the beginning and it only now being turned on because FSD beta needs to use it.

I'm pretty unimpressed with this not being covered under warranty.

It sure feels like this is a repair cost Tesla new would be coming and delayed FSD beta so that any issues with the camera's would be out of warranty. It's not like the camera's have any moving parts or reason to stop working. And to charge $750.00 to replace a $40.00 part is obscene.

I will do my best to have them cover this under warranty but know that their SC in Toronto just doesn't really care about a bad customer experience.
Did the SC say that it was definitely a hardware issue or are they simply replacing it because that’s what they believe may be the issue?

I noticed that every time I have this problem (only twice so far), everything goes back to normal after I park at home and let the vehicle sit for a few hours. The issue only clears after I go home though. I’m thinking that’s just because home is the only place it sits overnight.

Like you alluded to, I think this may be FSD’s way of disabling access for the day if it’s not happy with you, but that’s pure speculation.

Did the SC say that it was definitely a hardware issue or are they simply replacing it because that’s what they believe may be the issue?

I noticed that every time I have this problem (only twice so far), everything goes back to normal after I park at home and let the vehicle sit for a few hours. The issue only clears after I go home though. I’m thinking that’s just because home is the only place it sits overnight.

Like you alluded to, I think this may be FSD’s way of disabling access for the day if it’s not happy with you, but that’s pure speculation.
I just setup the appointment via the app based on this Error Message and they provided me an estimate to fix it of $750.00 which includes replacing the camera and harness. So it's based solely on the error message and no actual diagnostics.

The error is intermittent, about once a day and goes away. AP still works, but I haven't bothered trying to turn the FSD on again after the first incident where it essentially kicked me out immediately.

To be honest, I've spoken to someone who is also testing it out and they said that they couldn't drive a city block without it trying to kill them, so I'm in no hurry to try it out. From what I've seen, it's still a few years away from prime time.

I've written to the SC asking them to fix this under warranty because the issue has clearly been there since the beginning, and it just now is letting me know about it because FSD actually needs to use it and reported a problem. How they can say that it's out of warranty when there would not be any way for the customer to know there was an issue with it in the first place is pretty sneaky.

I really hope they do the clear right thing and fix this without it turning into a battle.

Reactions: Hightower
We have now and then gotten the "Cabin camera unavailable" message, which disappears after a moment and seems to have no impact.

Until Friday, that is, during a long drive home from the Bay Area. Friday, as others said above, when we engage Autopilot we are immediately in blue flashing mode. Disengage, try again, same thing. I waited a few hours and a charge stop, and same thing. After we got home, it belatedly dawned on us to reboot the computer. The next drive was this morning when my wife went out. She tried AP and it worked normally.

In short, a reboot seemed to fix it, which tends to confirm the suspicion of a software bug.

Side note: If indeed any of us do need the cabin camera replaced to actually fix this, it's kind of unfair for it to not be under warranty. For example, our car is four years old and over mileage for warranty. But we had no opportunity during the warranty to learn whether the cabin camera was functioning properly. Fair would be if the warranty clock for the cabin camera began when the software first started using it.

Reactions: Daoasis