Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin camera broken

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

My first post... love the information I get from this site.

I just purchased a 2018 model 3 RWD long range.

The seller informed me that the car has this weird cabin camera error... and that he had it looked at... but there was nothing found.

I purchased the vehicle in Riverside, CA... drove it back to Phoenix, AZ. I used FSD quite a bit along the drive... the error popped up occasionally... but never interrupted my FSD experience like others mention in this thread.

I took the vehicle to the SC to have the issue diagnose (before coming to this thread)... they explain that the "selfie camera" is defective and that the vehicle is out of warranty... they would need to replace the "selfie camera" and a harness near the windshield. Cost $571. I elected not to do the work as it has not affected any FSD drives.

I am on FSD 10.69.2.3 (2022.20.18)... and continue to get the pop up to update software to 10.69.2.4 (2022.20.19)...since I am not being interrupted during FSD...I will try to not upgrade...don't see how an issue that appears to be faulty hardware from the start should cost me $571.
Welcome to the forum!

We got the cabin camera error now and then, usually at the instant of shifting into gear. Then our computer died and got replaced, and after a delay we got back into FSDß, on 10.69.2.3, and now on 2.4. I've had zero instances of the cabin camera error since the computer fiasco. I'd been assuming 10.69.x fixed it. (A tech had told me they thought it was a software bug.) But your experience clearly refutes that.

Welcome to the forum!

We got the cabin camera error now and then, usually at the instant of shifting into gear. Then our computer died and got replaced, and after a delay we got back into FSDß, on 10.69.2.3, and now on 2.4. I've had zero instances of the cabin camera error since the computer fiasco. I'd been assuming 10.69.x fixed it. (A tech had told me they thought it was a software bug.) But your experience clearly refutes that.
Thank you...this site is awesome!!

Interesting that a new computer solved your issue...I'm curious to know how your computer died?? And does this prevent you from driving the car?

Yet...still want to know how we trigger tesla to resolve an issue of this faulty camera?

Thank you...this site is awesome!!

Interesting that a new computer solved your issue...I'm curious to know how your computer died?? And does this prevent you from driving the car?

Yet...still want to know how we trigger tesla to resolve an issue of this faulty camera?
Sorry I wasn't clear. I wasn't supposing the new computer fixed the cabin camera problem. I was guessing 10.69.2.3 did. We'd been on an older FSDß version prior to computer death. Over the many weeks until we got back into FSDß the software updated without us a few times, and now on 2.3 and 2.4 I'm not seeing the cabin camera problem anymore. But who knows--it may happen tomorrow.

I'm curious to know how the computer died too. The tech said they don't do any detailed diagnosis beyond that it is indeed dead. I meant to ask whether the dead computer gets sent back to HQ for engineering to look for weaknesses, but forgot.

And yes, a dead computer absolutely prevents you from driving. Couldn't even get it into neutral for towing. The tow company but the front on dollies and lifted the back to haul it away--all from inside our garage. At least it died at home.

Well, I had the camera message pop up. I took the car to the Upland CA service center and they diagnosed that my usb was too slow, which we all know is B.S.. They want to charge me $125 to tell me that i need a new usb drive while leaving the camera broken. I know i should have taken the car to Palm Springs, they always fixed whatever was wrong on my model S

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Well, I had the camera message pop up. I took the car to the Upland CA service center and they diagnosed that my usb was too slow, which we all know is B.S.. They want to charge me $125 to tell me that i need a new usb drive while leaving the camera broken. I know i should have taken the car to Palm Springs, they always fixed whatever was wrong on my model S
So are they suggesting that by simply removing the USB drive you will no longer have the error?

Sorry I wasn't clear. I wasn't supposing the new computer fixed the cabin camera problem. I was guessing 10.69.2.3 did. We'd been on an older FSDß version prior to computer death. Over the many weeks until we got back into FSDß the software updated without us a few times, and now on 2.3 and 2.4 I'm not seeing the cabin camera problem anymore. But who knows--it may happen tomorrow.

I'm curious to know how the computer died too. The tech said they don't do any detailed diagnosis beyond that it is indeed dead. I meant to ask whether the dead computer gets sent back to HQ for engineering to look for weaknesses, but forgot.

And yes, a dead computer absolutely prevents you from driving. Couldn't even get it into neutral for towing. The tow company but the front on dollies and lifted the back to haul it away--all from inside our garage. At least it died at home.
Sounds like a nightmare to deal with.. ok, keep us posted if it comes back ... I hesitate to install the latest software due to someone saying that the error on the latest software renders fsd useless as it now uses the camera to ensure your eyes are looking straight ahead

I just setup the appointment via the app based on this Error Message and they provided me an estimate to fix it of $750.00 which includes replacing the camera and harness. So it's based solely on the error message and no actual diagnostics.

The error is intermittent, about once a day and goes away. AP still works, but I haven't bothered trying to turn the FSD on again after the first incident where it essentially kicked me out immediately.

To be honest, I've spoken to someone who is also testing it out and they said that they couldn't drive a city block without it trying to kill them, so I'm in no hurry to try it out. From what I've seen, it's still a few years away from prime time.

I've written to the SC asking them to fix this under warranty because the issue has clearly been there since the beginning, and it just now is letting me know about it because FSD actually needs to use it and reported a problem. How they can say that it's out of warranty when there would not be any way for the customer to know there was an issue with it in the first place is pretty sneaky.

I really hope they do the clear right thing and fix this without it turning into a battle.
I also did the same and they want me to pay too.
I told them that I will not and I want to talk to supervisor/senior staff.
They cancelled my mobile appointment and want me to come to SC on Wed 12/7.

I am having some of the symptoms you all have described. 2018 M3 Long range.

My cabin camera only seems to go out at night when it’s very dark. It gives the angry chirping with a red steering wheel. Recently I made a bug report when this happened laced with multiple profanities and it seemed like shortly thereafter the steering wheel nags became much more frequent and wouldn’t go away with regular pressure.

I drive with one hand on the wheel all the time and have 122,000 miles on the car- 50,000 of my own of which probably 40,000 were with AP engaged. I have rarely had an issue with the nag until two days ago. I’ve never had to apply so much pressure that it kicked out of AP until two days ago- now it has happened multiple times.

I have one profile without FSDB and one with it. If I switch to the non FSDB the explicit cabin camera warnings go away, but the steering wheel nags are still way more intense than ever before. Sometimes it will jump immediately to rapid blue flashes within a second of engaging autopilot.

I am very much looking forward to fixing this issue.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC
Hi all,

I have a Model 3 built Dec 2018.

My cabin cam errors started as soon as I enabled FSD Beta. Tesla wanted to charge me for service as the car was out of warranty.

Errors: APP_w330 - 'Cabin Camera unavailable' and APP_w304 - 'Cabin camera blocked or blinded.'

Solution: Removed/replaced the cabin camera with one I purchased from ebay; PN 1098383-00-G.

I found a youtuber that posted a how-to video to get to the camera (Mikey's Musings channel).

It's been a week and there have been no errors. I was granted FSD privileges again, no sudden forced disengagements so far.

I'm HAPPY!

Attachments

• Orig_replc.jpg
    Orig_replc.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 186
Mine was replaced under warranty. It's a 2018 with the Basic Warranty good through Nov this year. However, looking at the warranty it's also limited to 50,000 miles, whichever comes first. So, you're out of warranty by the strict letter. However, it seems pretty sucky of Tesla to not fix this. It's clearly not an isolated problem, and it's essentially impossible to detect for a user unless you get FSD Beta,
Your story sounds exactly like mine and my son’s. Definitely should be covered because there was no way to know if our cabin cameras ever worked prior to FSD upgrade. I didn’t do anything either my bill was about $650

Well this saga continues. I paid $330 for a replacement in July 2022 and cabin camera error is back again. Does anyone know if out of warranty repairs come with a certain amount warranty?
The part has 12 months.

But, and this is Tesla, if they decide something else is busted I’d say you have a low probability of a goodwill repair.

Hopefully you just got another bad camera.

Reactions: Hypertrev11
I have a 2019 m3 out of warranty. the computer recently failed, and it had to be replaced. after tesla replaced the computer i started to get the cabin camera error message. my mirror also had some hairline cracks (not sure if that's from excessive heat?). not wanting to go back and pay extortionate fees... i decided i would try to replace myself before going back to tesla.

i was able to buy a mirror and camera off ebay for $90 bucks. after removing the mirror and covers, i observed the current camera part # 1098383-00-D. The new one i got from ebay was 1098383-00-G. The circuitry on the new part looks way more complex and detailed. replacement was tricky, the cable clip needs to be pried off gently, there are two parts to the cable clip. I just replaced the camera, and i'll see if i get any more errors and report back for anyone that's interested.

I have a 2019 m3 out of warranty. the computer recently failed, and it had to be replaced. after tesla replaced the computer i started to get the cabin camera error message. my mirror also had some hairline cracks (not sure if that's from excessive heat?). not wanting to go back and pay extortionate fees... i decided i would try to replace myself before going back to tesla.

i was able to buy a mirror and camera off ebay for $90 bucks. after removing the mirror and covers, i observed the current camera part # 1098383-00-D. The new one i got from ebay was 1098383-00-G. The circuitry on the new part looks way more complex and detailed. replacement was tricky, the cable clip needs to be pried off gently, there are two parts to the cable clip. I just replaced the camera, and i'll see if i get any more errors and report back for anyone that's interested.
Did this fix it? My 2018 cabin camera had this issue w few months ago for a week or 2 but now it seems permanent out. Live view mode also hangs in my phone app and can't view the live camera inside the car but all other cameras are fine.

Interesting thread. I just got the holiday update a few days ago, 44.30.5.1, and I've suddenly got the interior camera issue. Since I recently subscribed to the FSDb, it deactivates the FSDb and it deactivates lane-keeping. All I've got is TACC. Never happened in 5yrs. This is bad, because I've become quite dependent upon lane-keeping for my trips home from skiing, when I'm tired.

Since I almost got hit by a deer on Christmas Eve, I pulled my USB stick to transfer the video to my computer. Without the USB stick, my car's FSDb was back, with no interior camera issue. Then today, I stuck the USB stick back in, and boom, error! So, I pulled it out, and the error disappeared. Weird, could the USB stick be the cause, so I came looking, only to find this thread. Now, I'm wondering. I've had that stick for at least 4yrs, do they go bad? Anyway, I stuck it back in, and reformatted it.
Image 12-26-23 at 11.36 AM.jpeg

Fortunate for me, I instinctively slowed, when I saw the car in the opposite lane, slowing. Whew! That was close!

Reactions: Gabbleratchet7

Any update on whether this replacement lasts longterm? I’ve been getting the error for about 2 years now intermittently but after the Holiday update, FSD refuses to work at all. $10k option now useless for a $70 part that SCs across California have no clue how to replace or if it’ll work, after I spend $800 on the repair.

I've had the "Cabin Unavailable" for a couple years now. It didn't really matter until recently where it disables AP and FSD. I just got quoted $555. I don't see it a heat correlation as it happens in the winter too. Every time I start a new drive it is back working, but eventually will get the error.