Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin camera more aggressive in Autopilot 2022.36.2 update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Per the Autopilot FAQs
"Once engaged, Autopilot will also deliver an escalating series of visual and audio warnings, reminding you to place your hands on the wheel if insufficient torque is applied. If you repeatedly ignore these warnings, you will be locked out from using Autopilot during that trip."
Now it's just if take your hand of the wheel or look down for a second no more autopilot for your trip. I sure hope it's a mistake because the Autopilot was literally the reason I bought the car and, in my opinion, is what sets it apart from competing EVs

I'm curious, for those who are getting kicked out of autopilot, do you see a selfieCamInitFault when you go into service mode?

To get into service:
Open up Software then tap and hold on your model (in my case model 3) for 5 seconds. A password screen will appear and enter in 'service' in all lowercase (no quotes). For me I saw it said 1 service error and when I went and looked at the alert it was a selfieCamInitFault.

Also getting kicked off AP with no prior warnings or series of escalating visual/audio warnings, and I think it has to do with that error potentially. Have a service appointment to get the camera fixed, hopefully that will help. AP is pretty unusable now.

• Informative
Reactions: SuperKirby and Dewg
Are there anyone not experiencing this issue on this version?

Is this a widespread issue, or still isolated? (unexplainable?)
I upgraded to 2022.36.6 this morning. Drove 43 miles to the office mostly on autopilot. Never disengaged. I was not overtly attentive. Put my wallet away. Moved the my handgun from one compartment to the other. Never booted.

I upgraded to 2022.36.6 this morning. Drove 43 miles to the office mostly on autopilot. Never disengaged. I was not overtly attentive. Put my wallet away. Moved the my handgun from one compartment to the other. Never booted.
Good to hear that someone is not having issues. To be honest, if this was a widespread issue, this forum would have exploded...

So why is it happening on significant number of cars? Older camera perhaps?

Yes—
Four times. Each time after 20 minutes of driving.
If you have a steering wheel weight too, then I'm suspecting they added some wheel weight detection to 36.X!

I ended up putting a service request in. This morning i got the red steering wheel on screen without any notice to put hands on wheel first. This is happening on every single drive now, cabin camera covered or not, does it either way.

What the heck is going on with autopilot? Is it me or is this a bug from the last update? Why don't i get the blue message to put hands on wheel anymore? It just goes to red and discontinues autopilot for the rest of the drive.

Let's see what service does.
I am having this same issue! I’m on 2022.36.6

Same issue here on 36.6 and no weight - i actually have my hand on the wheel but generally am not providing any rotational input as, guess what, I'm using AP!! (shocker, right?)....I ended up getting "AP not available for this drive".
Wow annoying....

Now i'm also reading some weights arent being recognized at all....

So maybe it's not so much weight vs no weight but Tesla has changed their algorithm of detecting how driver is holding the steering wheel (and/or weight generated torque)?
Thats what I was thinking. I used it again yesterday and seemed better (less inputs) but its certainly more demanding on 36.6.
I'm gonna try a ball type weight (as would be giving more random type inputs to the wheel unlike a standard, fixed position weight) next time i use AP.

BTW, with FSD on city streets, i'm not even sure how you could keep your hand on the wheel the entire time if Summon is any indication of its low speed wheel maneuvers - its erratic and all over the place.