Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin camera more aggressive in Autopilot 2022.36.2 update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thats what I was thinking. I used it again yesterday and seemed better (less inputs) but its certainly more demanding on 36.6.
I'm gonna try a ball type weight (as would be giving more random type inputs to the wheel unlike a standard, fixed position weight) next time i use AP.

BTW, with FSD on city streets, i'm not even sure how you could keep your hand on the wheel the entire time if Summon is any indication of its low speed wheel maneuvers - its erratic and all over the place.
i have a legacy model x so no cabin cam and i don't use a counter weight, but since 36.6 had 3 of these disengagements and service tech said the system flagged me as using a weight and disengaged without warning because of that. they said the algorithm judges the amount of torque on the wheel, and possibly the pressure i'm applying is consistent enough to make the system flag me as a false positive, and to avoid it they recommended i change the direction i'm applying pressure, or stop applying pressure periodically, etc.

it wouldn't surprise me if models with the cabin cam adjust how "inattentive" you can seem before disengaging if the system is also detecting a likely anti-nag device.

Reactions: wadood
Thats what I was thinking. I used it again yesterday and seemed better (less inputs) but its certainly more demanding on 36.6.
I'm gonna try a ball type weight (as would be giving more random type inputs to the wheel unlike a standard, fixed position weight) next time i use AP.

BTW, with FSD on city streets, i'm not even sure how you could keep your hand on the wheel the entire time if Summon is any indication of its low speed wheel maneuvers - its erratic and all over the place.
It's easier than you think. Just hold the wheel at whatever position is comfortable for you to apply slight torque all the time. The car isn't going to suddenly turn with no warning, you can see the planning and know when it's going to make a left or right turn well in advance. When it's coming to a turn, just release the wheel and put your fingers on the outside of the wheel and let it drag a bit against your fingers as it's turning. That's enough to satisfy the system. And you keep your hands at the wheel in case you do need to grab it and correct for some reason. Then, when the turn is complete, just return your hands to the previous position.

i have a legacy model x so no cabin cam and i don't use a counter weight, but since 36.6 had 3 of these disengagements and service tech said the system flagged me as using a weight and disengaged without warning because of that. they said the algorithm judges the amount of torque on the wheel, and possibly the pressure i'm applying is consistent enough to make the system flag me as a false positive, and to avoid it they recommended i change the direction i'm applying pressure, or stop applying pressure periodically, etc.

it wouldn't surprise me if models with the cabin cam adjust how "inattentive" you can seem before disengaging if the system is also detecting a likely anti-nag device.
How did you get hold of Tesla Tech? Did you put in a service request? Where? Infotainment—> Software or somewhere else

How did you get hold of Tesla Tech? Did you put in a service request? Where? Infotainment—> Software or somewhere else
i put in a service request under auto Driver Assistance Features -> Autopilot or Cruise Control Performance. i explained that AP disengaged with 0 nags multiple times in a little over 100 autopilot miles since 36.6. tech sent me a message today asking for date/time and i grabbed the trip info out of my safety score section of my app and sent the three trips it happened. got a phone call a couple of hours later.

Reactions: wadood
It's easier than you think. Just hold the wheel at whatever position is comfortable for you to apply slight torque all the time. The car isn't going to suddenly turn with no warning, you can see the planning and know when it's going to make a left or right turn well in advance. When it's coming to a turn, just release the wheel and put your fingers on the outside of the wheel and let it drag a bit against your fingers as it's turning. That's enough to satisfy the system. And you keep your hands at the wheel in case you do need to grab it and correct for some reason. Then, when the turn is complete, just return your hands to the previous position.
Well, might as well just drive manually at this point. Sigh…

Reactions: burtinboy

You can install the Uber app and then you don't have to drive at all, totally L5 driving. Sigh...

Sigh, i hope you didnt spend $$$ on FSD then...