Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin camera now being used after updating to 24.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was curious after the latest Model Y ANCAP tests that mentioned that they were impressed that the car used the internal camera for driver monitoring incase a phone is being used. While the update notes for those of us being migrated to Tesla Vision with 20.9/24.6 don't mention this detail, going back through the previous notes, this was added as a feature of Tesla Vision around a year ago.

So, this morning with Autopilot engaged on a straight stretch of the motorway while no one was around, I thought I'd give it a test. I picked up my phone and after just a moment of looking down at it, the car beeped at me and flashed up a "red hands on wheel" warning message.

I know some people are going to find a way to be upset by this, but to me, I see it as a good safety measure. Hopefully going forward it might result in less nags for holding the wheel as it can see you're focused on the road.

Reactions: Audietron
I was curious after the latest Model Y ANCAP tests that mentioned that they were impressed that the car used the internal camera for driver monitoring incase a phone is being used. While the update notes for those of us being migrated to Tesla Vision with 20.9/24.6 don't mention this detail, going back through the previous notes, this was added as a feature of Tesla Vision around a year ago.

So, this morning with Autopilot engaged on a straight stretch of the motorway while no one was around, I thought I'd give it a test. I picked up my phone and after just a moment of looking down at it, the car beeped at me and flashed up a "red hands on wheel" warning message.

I know some people are going to find a way to be upset by this, but to me, I see it as a good safety measure. Hopefully going forward it might result in less nags for holding the wheel as it can see you're focused on the road.
yup good safety measure... but at cost of privacy... I blocked the camera once received the car. personal preference I believe.

The imagery is only processed within the car. How is it a cost on privacy?
read in data sharing... time to time data shared with Tesla and their service provider to improve the service... something in line with... once I went thru privacy policy and T&C... I disabled. personal preference.

I share external camera details with them.... I don't like internal camera details shared or processed.

I don't think they're enforcing it like they do in the FSD Beta, so it's not going to freak out if the camera is blocked. However if it isn't blocked, it's definitely noticing if it sees you on your phone. I've tried it a couple times now and each time within a moment of me pretending to be on my phone it sounds an alert to get my attention and immediately starts the fast blue flashing on the screen.

Or just don't use your phone while driving 😉
It's not about phone, it's about not wanting to be recorded...
Can use phone via Tesla screen as it's connected.... stupid system will raise alert if using mobile, but wouldn't raise alert if using Tesla monitor to write the text message and send - lol.
can use phone, address book, text messaging via built-in settings. can use WhatsApp via built-in browser...
I guess AI has long way to go before beating naughty humans.

Apart from monitoring the driver and submitting the inside cabin videos to Tesla and insurance provider on crash (good/bad)... they can allow user to use inside camera for video calls as long as user is using hands free system - would help majority for attending meeting when driving or parked.

life is give-and-take... they allow me extra feature to make my life easy, I allow them to record any kind of spy on me....

If your phone is on a mount, it's not going to care about that. But if you're holding your phone in your hand you are a distracted driver - if Tesla's cabin camera can't see you because you blocked it then the pending cameras being installed by Waka Kotahi to detect and fine people using their phones while driving will get you instead 😉

If your phone is on a mount, it's not going to care about that. But if you're holding your phone in your hand you are a distracted driver - if Tesla's cabin camera can't see you because you blocked it then the pending cameras being installed by Waka Kotahi to detect and fine people using their phones while driving will get you instead 😉
I know...
such a contradictory... advance technology and promise most EV cars, specially tesla sold on is self driving in some form and shape - still when car is driving it;self we are to follow same rules as if car can't do any of the driving aspects and we need to have eyes, hands, legs glued to car.
If driver is not driving and not required to assess major risks on road, why responsible to mimic those steps because of outdated rules? stupid as.

I was put off right away when inside camera was enabled and only key thing Tesla mentioned is - purpose is to upload the video when crash happens.... good or bad? mostly bad as it says shared with insurance and tesla... more look like witch-hunt to avoid any responsibility on company or insurance... because if car on auto drive and user is looking at monitor instead of road for that reason, they can probably fight on negligence on users end instead of failure on car's end.... good technology with wrong purpose.

Tesla doesn't make the road rules, the government does. The law is what says you cannot have a phone in your hand while you are in the drivers seat and the car is on the road. Autopilot, whether you have the basic, EAP or FSD packages is only Level 2 and as such, you do not get any special exceptions while using Autopilot. Once you can get out of the drivers seat, then you can use your phone.

Once again, as I've mentioned a few times now, there are two aspects to the cabin camera. There is the opt-in recording "feature" that will send the last few moments of footage after a crash, but again, only if you've opted in to that. Seperately, there is the onboard AI processing of the cabin camera with the cars AP computers (same as all the other cameras) to determine whether you're paying attention. These are independant of each other - opting out of the cabin camera sharing doesn't stop the car from processing the camera on the cars computers but updating to 24.6+ doesn't mean that cabin camera footage will be sent to Tesla if you haven't opted into sharing.

Many cars with competitors to Autopilot (such as Ford and GM) have driver monitoring via cameras to make sure the driver is paying attention

Tesla doesn't make the road rules, the government does. The law is what says you cannot have a phone in your hand while you are in the drivers seat and the car is on the road. Autopilot, whether you have the basic, EAP or FSD packages is only Level 2 and as such, you do not get any special exceptions while using Autopilot. Once you can get out of the drivers seat, then you can use your phone.

Once again, as I've mentioned a few times now, there are two aspects to the cabin camera. There is the opt-in recording "feature" that will send the last few moments of footage after a crash, but again, only if you've opted in to that. Seperately, there is the onboard AI processing of the cabin camera with the cars AP computers (same as all the other cameras) to determine whether you're paying attention. These are independant of each other - opting out of the cabin camera sharing doesn't stop the car from processing the camera on the cars computers but updating to 24.6+ doesn't mean that cabin camera footage will be sent to Tesla if you haven't opted into sharing.

Many cars with competitors to Autopilot (such as Ford and GM) have driver monitoring via cameras to make sure the driver is paying attention
oh sorry, never meant tesla makes road rules...

FSD engaged NoA on the motorway
For science I tied looking out the drivers window and looking down for about a minute or so
While keeping my usual amount of force on the steering wheel

No Warnings
I think I've got everything enabled in the camera privacy setting

• Funny
FSD engaged NoA on the motorway
For science I tied looking out the drivers window and looking down for about a minute or so
While keeping my usual amount of force on the steering wheel

No Warnings
I think I've got everything enabled in the camera privacy setting
As long as your hands or steering booster is on steering it doesn't care.... I tested by lifting myself from seat when car was driving on NoA, no response (except weird look from fellow drivers)
I tried over reaching to rear seats and staying in odd pose for some time, hoping some safety would kick in, no response...
all done with camera unblocked...
Elonta doesn't care about my life - simple explanation.