Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin Camera Required with FSDb off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, as we’re all now being offered FSDb, before I install it, I want to know if the cabin camera is required when FSDb is toggled off. I had far too many nags resulting from the camera that ultimately had me booted from the beta. Not sure if I need service on the camera. Basically even the slightest look at the infotainment screen would result in screams from the software. So I opted out, bought a camera cover and have been happy ever since.

If I install the latest FSDb, and I toggle it off, can my cabin camera cover remain closed? I’d open it when using FSDb and be sure to keep my eyes 100% on the road. But if this won’t be possible when it’s off, it’s a hard no for me.

Get your camera replaced. A glance shouldn't cause a problem. I've tested it on my MY and I can look away for anywhere from 3-5 secs before the pay attention warning chimes. There was a batch of cameras that had exposure issues where it was rendering too dark. Now we can see camera footage from the cabin, check the exposure level for yours.

Hi, as we’re all now being offered FSDb, before I install it, I want to know if the cabin camera is required when FSDb is toggled off. I had far too many nags resulting from the camera that ultimately had me booted from the beta. Not sure if I need service on the camera. Basically even the slightest look at the infotainment screen would result in screams from the software. So I opted out, bought a camera cover and have been happy ever since.

If I install the latest FSDb, and I toggle it off, can my cabin camera cover remain closed? I’d open it when using FSDb and be sure to keep my eyes 100% on the road. But if this won’t be possible when it’s off, it’s a hard no for me.

Service centers will need to take a different attitude with FSDb now that it's more widely available. they can no longer throw up their hands and say, oh it's FSDb; we can't do anything about that.

Your cabin camera is messed up, and the SC needs to figure out what's wrong and fix it.

I'd say Peabody is the best SC around us, though I've had good experiences with Watertown as well. Dedham was good before Model 3 came out, but for a long time, they were swamped and their service sucked. Hope things are better there now, but as I'm north of Boston, Peabody is most convenient anyway.

I have generally gone to Dedham. But Watertown is equally close. Maybe I’ll start going there. You’re right about that Dedham, it’s way too busy.

So anyone with the beta able to confirm if I can cover the camera and still use autopilot when the beta is toggled off?