Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin Climate control system requires service/Climate Keeper unavailable due to system fault

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, Our just over month old 2023 Tesla Model Y suddenly started throwing below error.
"Cabin Climate control system requires service/Climate Keeper unavailable due to system fault"

I saw similar messages on forum but wanted to find out if there is any other solution except taking to SC. Earlier appointment at SC is 3 weeks out and its not possible to drive car without heater in this cold. Any feedback or responses appreciated!

Thanks

Reactions: beachmiles
I have a 2022 Model X under 15K miles. I have had a similar message “Cabin Climate control system needs service” “Cabin Heating / Cooling limited or unavailable”. Service has tried to fix on 2 occasions. Message comes back on hours after service being completed. I now have another appointment. Anyone have any ideas as to what is the problem and why so difficult to correct?

Upvote 0
Make a SC appointment right away. When you open the request send them a message and tell them you need a loaner due to the non functional climate control.
So, on my trip from SoCal to Austin, I guess I shouldn’t trust the heat pump to keep me warm on the road, let alone Dog Mode to keep Butterfly alive in sub-freezing weather for her usual two-three hour nap while I’m out! I wonder if SC will let me have a reliable loaner to take the trip with?

Upvote 0
Hi, Our just over month old 2023 Tesla Model Y suddenly started throwing below error.
"Cabin Climate control system requires service/Climate Keeper unavailable due to system fault"

I saw similar messages on forum but wanted to find out if there is any other solution except taking to SC. Earlier appointment at SC is 3 weeks out and its not possible to drive car without heater in this cold. Any feedback or responses appreciated!

Thanks
This just happened to me. Took delivery of the car in November 2022. Have an appointment this week.

Upvote 0

Thanks
Same, on a 2018 M3 LR with over 70K miles. Update got rid of that but the AC never came back online. Error message says cabin climate control system requires service. SC now says that it’s $1,000 of hardware that needs to be fixed as it shows a fault, and they want me to drive two hours (closest SC) with no AC (90+ degrees outside) and no ability to supercharge. Anyone had this happen? What else do we think was fried when the AC conked out and we still had two plus hours on the highway to get home in a heatwave? At this point, I honestly don’t think the SC will tell me whether the AC hardware is actually broken, or killed by the glitch, they’ll just charge me to fix whatever the computer says is broken and send me home for it to happen again. Lots of miles of experience on that front, unfortunately. I have confirmed in app that the necessary parts are available but experience has shown that means nothing. What should I be asking them to look at? Is this a real hardware failure or something lots of others have recently experienced as a result of a software update? As a long time owner I’m at the end of my rope. I love my car. I have grown to really dislike the company that made it ….

Upvote 0
Thanks, I’ll ask about that as well. Pulling into my garage today I received a series of error messages about electrical failure. Whatever is going on apparently now includes failure of the 12V as well. Good times.
By way of update, after 3 hours in the SC I’m told I get to fork over $1K plus for a new compressor. Not covered under warranty even though it is part of the battery cooling system. Went through in detail with the nice young man both those thoughts and how it was essentially blown when the software update sent the climate keeper into a tailspin. And make no mistake it was blown. No way it could keep up in extreme temps and supercharging once the software kicked it offline. I’m taking the blown piece with me and hoping to find someone somewhere to assess what happened. I find it reprehensible that a software update can blow out vital organs and owners get to pay for that mistake. Again, love my car. Truly have nothing nice to say about the company that made it.

Upvote 0
Just got the same error today in my March built MY, I noticed the automatic climate control hasn't been working the way I got used to, like very little cold air is coming from the front vents but rear seats are fine, had to turn on bioweapon defense mode to get the air really going. AC seems to be working fine, but I can see the "Climate Keep Unavailable Due to System Fault" message on the little simulated screen in the climate control page, both camp mode and dog mode are greyed out. I also cannot remotely command Climate On or enable those modes, cabin overheat protection also does not work. I did a soft restart of the MCU which seems to have fixed some of the issue, at least when the car is parked it kept AC on with passengers inside. But now Camp and Dog mode buttons have completely disappeared.
The weird thing is that when driving and manually control it everything is fine, AC is able to keep the car cool. I have a service appointment scheduled for next Monday.

Upvote 0
I might want to add I have three active alerts:
VCRIGHT_a538_hvacSystemNotNominal -- this just means there is a fault in the system and made the climate keeper unavailable
VCRIGHT_a271_THSSensorFault -- one or more sensors on the THS is reporting a fault, okay but it appears to me all the sensors are reading and the values do change
VCRIGHT_a257_THSMIA -- THS ecu is not responding over LIN, this is more concerning since it appears to point to a serial comm bus issue......

Upvote 0
Just got a used 2020 modle 3 and not more than 4 hours after driving it off the lot, got the error message. Noticed a post that said it's a sensor error behind the screen. Well the service person is on the way today and I will verify that is the problem and post as soon as they are done.

Upvote 0
After software update v11. 1 2024.2.8 1935ff2ccbbe (UK) is started having this issue. A soft reset (turn off in the safety menu and leave off for min 10mins) the climate comes back on when parked, and camp mode / dog mode all work. I've done this twice now as the first time, the climate control failed again when I started to drive. Left the car off for long this time so hoping that helps. Clearly it works, but is failing for some reasons. Temp outside is 1C so need heat!

Upvote 0