Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin Filter Replacement with Breathe Easy Filters | AC Smell

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you for this follow up. Very informative with the meter reading differences.

I did the same cleaning of the evaporator a little while back and the smell has returned. I am going to try two cans of cleaner and these filters. Cant be any worse than previous results.

Thanks for the feedback, yea it looks like I may end up doing this cleaning and filter replacement every year now before spring. Tesla recommends every 2 years according to the manual.

FWIW I was at an event recently where a Tesla Ranger said the AC smell is really only prevalent in highly humid areas, and that replacing the filter once a year seems to be the best remedy.

All I want, is the ability to turn on the 'FAN ONLY' while the car is unoccupied.

I bought my M3 December 2018. I love my Tesla. Everything about it. Except... summer 2019 I had the bad funk smell. My research, and the service center's confirmation, is that the duct design has a place where some condensation can pool. They changed my filters and cleaned the ductwork, which reduced--but did not entirely eliminate--the smell. The service center told me (but I think they were optimistically trying to get rid of me) that a software fix was pending that would improve ventilation management to help dry out the car vents.

No such change has been incorporated. Summer 2020, we have a massive heat wave in CA (10+ days over 100F). When I drive the car in the heat, and then park it in the sun (because you can't always find shade...), the cold AC coils sit and collect moisture and drip into who knows where. Serious car-funk-kombucha brew going on here. The vinegar smell is almost overwhelming on a hot day when returning to the car. I'm already sensitive to mildew in my sinuses, and sometimes I will develop an ongoing headache and have to avoid driving the Tesla for a few days. I've been told by Tesla support and the user community everything from 'drive with my windows open' to 'use better hygiene'. I've resorted to driving around with my windows down (tomorrow's forecast is a record-breaking 111F).

This is ridiculous. <rant> I've owned 5 other 'luxury sedans' in this price range. Never have I had an issue with mold/moisture/smell in the HVAC system. And I get charged and ridiculed for the convenience of not having a debilitating smell in my car. I can't take other people for a ride in it in summertime.

All I want is to be able to run the ventilation and let the car dry itself off while the coils warm up. I don't care at this point if it's manual or automatic (which would make perfect sense). But currently the car will not run the fan without running the compressor (in cabin mode), so setting the cabin controls doesn't help. I can only set a fixed temp. As soon as my butt gets out of the seat, my 'fan only' request stops and the car sits and stews in its own hot sweat. </rant> I'm ready to figure out how to hotwire my cabin fan...

Reactions: Noodles
The service center told me (but I think they were optimistically trying to get rid of me) that a software fix was pending that would improve ventilation management to help dry out the car vents.
I'm pretty sure I do not know all the details but Tesla made a software change so that the fan runs for about 15 minutes after you leave the car. I think you have to leave AC (or maybe just the fan ?) on when you exit the car for this to operate.

Reactions: smatthew
All I want, is the ability to turn on the 'FAN ONLY' while the car is unoccupied.

I bought my M3 December 2018. I love my Tesla. Everything about it. Except... summer 2019 I had the bad funk smell. My research, and the service center's confirmation, is that the duct design has a place where some condensation can pool. They changed my filters and cleaned the ductwork, which reduced--but did not entirely eliminate--the smell. The service center told me (but I think they were optimistically trying to get rid of me) that a software fix was pending that would improve ventilation management to help dry out the car vents.

No such change has been incorporated. Summer 2020, we have a massive heat wave in CA (10+ days over 100F). When I drive the car in the heat, and then park it in the sun (because you can't always find shade...), the cold AC coils sit and collect moisture and drip into who knows where. Serious car-funk-kombucha brew going on here. The vinegar smell is almost overwhelming on a hot day when returning to the car. I'm already sensitive to mildew in my sinuses, and sometimes I will develop an ongoing headache and have to avoid driving the Tesla for a few days. I've been told by Tesla support and the user community everything from 'drive with my windows open' to 'use better hygiene'. I've resorted to driving around with my windows down (tomorrow's forecast is a record-breaking 111F).

This is ridiculous. <rant> I've owned 5 other 'luxury sedans' in this price range. Never have I had an issue with mold/moisture/smell in the HVAC system. And I get charged and ridiculed for the convenience of not having a debilitating smell in my car. I can't take other people for a ride in it in summertime.

All I want is to be able to run the ventilation and let the car dry itself off while the coils warm up. I don't care at this point if it's manual or automatic (which would make perfect sense). But currently the car will not run the fan without running the compressor (in cabin mode), so setting the cabin controls doesn't help. I can only set a fixed temp. As soon as my butt gets out of the seat, my 'fan only' request stops and the car sits and stews in its own hot sweat. </rant> I'm ready to figure out how to hotwire my cabin fan...

For the record, my BMW had the exact same smell. That being said. Try turning off overheat protection. Or at least turn off the A/C with over heat protection.
That worked for me.

I’m curious - do we see vin range on these cars or some usage pattern? Any chance it was a manufacturing defect? Just wondering why more cars don’t have this problem. Down here in durham It is truly humid and I’m running AC almost all the time

I’m curious - do we see vin range on these cars or some usage pattern? Any chance it was a manufacturing defect? Just wondering why more cars don’t have this problem. Down here in durham It is truly humid and I’m running AC almost all the time

I have a June 2019 SR+ (VIN 4016XX) and it has the smell this Summer here in Las Vegas... I did the can and new filters stuff, all was well for about 3wks then it came back slightly then left. I have overheat protection ON w/ AC, because Vegas. I've tried "fresh air" vs re-circulation and that seems to get rid of it for a bit but it still comes back.

I haven't brought it up to the Service Center because it's documented enough on the forums and I don't want to pay whatever stupid amount they're charging or arguing for it to be free, not worth my time.

I haven't seen the documentation on the fan being on after a drive as @SageBrush mentioned. I usually turn off the HVAC when I get home and pull into the garage but if I need to leave it on so the function works then it'd be nice to know that.

And almost "all" the cars I've owned have had some sort of smell, but I haven't had it happen on the other two brand new cars I've owned in the first year. Annoying...

I have not seen this in my 2020 M3, but I used to have the problem in my Toyota. I found that, if I heat soaked the car every few months or so, it would kill the critters producing the smell. So a potential solution is to turn off overheat protection and leave it out in the sun for a day once in awhile. It worked for me. I have not tried it with my Tesla yet.

If you guys are done... The local Vegas FB group has been talking about the smell but the bigger issues lately is the dead 12volt batteries. The heat and time (1-2yrs) does it's thing with the 12volt battery just like every other vehicle.

@SageBrush do you know if the fan after the car is off "feature" has a particular set of events that have to proceed it or just anytime the vehicle is parked and unattended? I haven't tried to test this by any means but maybe I'll attach some string to the vents and see what happens when I get out of the car but most of the time everything just shuts down and goes quite.

• Informative
Reactions: NOLADriver
If there are no more than ~ 5 Tesla cars in Las Vegas, then yes

060.png