Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin Filter replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No idea. Suggest you ping the guy on eBay selling them. :)
Any idea if this would work for Model Y?

(I'm the guy making these covers)
There's bad news and good news about that

Bad news: This cover only fits the Model 3
Good news: Tesla apparently realized their mistake and redesigned the cover which screws in at the bottom rather than at the top. Its probably going to be way easier to work with. I could design a magnetic cover for the Y but as they say "It'd be a solution looking for a problem"

One other thing I learned in this filter saga, if the A/C stench keeps coming back, then your filters could beView attachment 585062 being spoiled by this air intake screen.

You to get it from the frunk, take off the panel where the air intake is, it just unclips.
  • Then there is kind of an air horn assembly that you can take off. Just look at it, I forget how it comes off but I remember it was totally easy.
  • Then way down on the firewall is the port where the air flows. If you look in there, there is a screen that traps bugs and debris.
  • All that debris rots there because the A/C components keep all nice petri-dish moist.
  • I used a vacuum to lift it all off, put in new filters and its been nice ever since.
  • Bought one of those screen covers to prevent new debris from getting in.
  • The whole air intake/filter system looks like it was given to the intern to design.

so there's a second piece that comes off in addition to the first cover that pops off? i took off the first cover but it didn't look like there was anything down on that first screen there...are you saying there's another screen behind that?

so there's a second piece that comes off in addition to the first cover that pops off? i took off the first cover but it didn't look like there was anything down on that first screen there...are you saying there's another screen behind that?

Yes, the horn the air goes into. The entire housing comes off to reveal the firewall. Hopefully we are talking about the same thing. I also hear Tesla redesigned this area for 2020

Yes, the horn the air goes into. The entire housing comes off to reveal the firewall. Hopefully we are talking about the same thing. I also hear Tesla redesigned this area for 2020

mine is a 2018, if that matters. i'll have to try to take that part off too and see if i can find anything down there.

are you spraying anything to kill the bacteria in there, or just vacuuming?

mine is a 2018, if that matters. i'll have to try to take that part off too and see if i can find anything down there.

are you spraying anything to kill the bacteria in there, or just vacuuming?

Did no spraying. I took the approach of not knocking any of that feted mass of disease into my console. So I used a crevasse attachment on the vacuum to lift all off. One it was all gone, I wiped the screen down with alcohol.

Reactions: crackers8199
Hi Folks,

Just joined! I am the one who is making the magnetic cabin air filter covers. The guy who posted this here, just let me know what's going on, all this traffic was a mystery to me.

I want to sincerely thank everyone of you who bought one of these and I hope it corrects Tesla's design oddity in a way that makes life a tiny bit easier.

If you have any questions or problems with it, just hit me up.
Awesome solution, let me know if you ever do shipping overseas.

Many people in Europe have changed to the Mann-filter as it is far superior to OEM in filtering smells of exhaust fumes, etc. Bjorn Nyland did a review on Youtube. The precise model number is: Mann FP 25015
Do you have a link to that review? I'm curious how it compares to the previous gold standard that's commonly spoken about here - the Breathe Easy Cabin Filter (BE-111).

i think it depends on local habits and the first filtercharge will really tell.

i switched mine after i think... 1.5 years and... 25 or 30k km and they definetely had to be changed. Looked very dusty and murky. also had a little bit of smell which went away after the change.

Most of my driving is racked up by driving on country lanes without much human and other driver interaction. Usually 95-100% on recirc. Not city driving. So that kind of surprised me.

Last edited:
My $0.02 since I was overdue to do this.

At the moment Tesla is out of OEM filters on their web site. Checking the picture on Amazon it looked like the Purolator uses the same OEM that Tesla does. I can confirm. The filter is also made in Germany and appears identical to the Tesla ones with the only difference being the printing / part # on the filter.

My car is low mileage so I put this off. However, I forgot the HVAC runs a fair amount if you have the cabin overheat protection on. There was a fair amount of debris.

I had a flexible extension for the T-20 screw so I didn't have much trouble removing it. However, finding it and inserting the screwdriver into the screw was a different story. What a ridiculous place to put something on a serviceable item. Took me around bit under an hour not including waiting for the AC cleaner to work and drain out. Probably only 30 minute job or so after you've done it once. That said I'm not looking forward to doing it again anytime soon.

I was able to get four OEM filters from someone who was selling their Model 3 so I plan on changing mine out after summer to see how dirty they’ve gotten. It will be within the first year of ownership and probably about 13K miles at that point.