Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin Heater not working after 12V replacement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently had a mobile technician out to replace a failing 12V battery. Since the 12V was replaced, my cabin heater is no longer functional. With the holiday Tesla is swamped and I can't get through on their customer support line. I waited 90 minutes and gave up. The car already has an appointment for December 8th for another issue and maybe they could fix this at that time as well, but was wondering if maybe something just didn't get plugged back in that I could take care of myself? It'll be a chilly few weeks in the car until then.

I tried rebooting both the IC and MCU, which had no effect.

If you add it to your appointment in the app, a tech will generally review it. I have had the mobile guy come back the next day to fix an airbag warning after a seat controller replacement by changing a service appointment in the app.

Sounds like a fuse to me too. Unfortunately the big fuse in the DC to DC converter isn’t easy to get to. I’d definitely check all the fuses in the fuse panel if you can.

and, for good luck, try a power down reset in case it’s just a software hangup

Apparently the 2013s don't have a replaceable cabin heater fuse. It's built into the DC/DC, and if that's blown they need to replace the whole DC/DC.

I'll see if I can get to the "Cabin Heater Logic" fuse (it's just a 5A), but it's in the Number 1 box which is very difficult to access.

If you don't live that far from the service center - I had good luck driving over and telling them that something went wrong with the work they just did and it needs to be checked. Few mechanics like having customers return like this, no matter what company policy says... It seems to get priority. My car was barfing gear oil all over the driveway after an axle change and I got no response from phone calls or emails. Sure-enough, when I drove to the SC, they took it back that very day...

This has been quite an oddyssey. I took the car in on Monday and they thought they'd have it done in a day. They keep finding other issues and haven't been able to get it back up and running yet. It's actually offline completely right now (not just "In Service") so it must be powered down. They hope it'll be done next week. I'm interested to see what all they had to replace.