Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin Heater Temp?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dmurphy

Supporting Member
Seems odd to ask this in LATE JUNE, but here we are.

It was about 65 degrees F today and raining. My wife got in the car and, because she was cold, turned the cabin heater up to HI. (Past 82F!)

She was expecting melt-your-face heat, but instead only gets a very very luke warm air, if that.

I turned the A/C button off, and it didn’t seem to make a difference.

Normal? Anyone get crazy, rocking, OMG-the-car’s-on-Fire style heat?

Don’t ask my opinion of why we need 80+ degree heat in June .... that ship sailed when I said “I do.”

• Funny
Reactions: dhrivnak
I've had the same issue, and I have brought this in for service twice.

The service team gave me a simple "This is how it is with other cars, so this is normal"

I find that extremely hard to believe, as my heat was working wonderfully when I first got my car. (2017 Model S 100 D)

They've been absolutely terrible about it, and next time I bring the car in, I will not take it back until it is fixed. My wife needs a blanket when we drive, and when we have kids, I would never subject them to this environment in a car.

Let's get into any ICE and do the EXACT same thing.

Cold morning, get into car, crank heat on high, fan on high, what's going to come out of the vent? ICE COLD AIR. You have to wait for the engine block to warm to get warm air.

Do the same thing in a Tesla and you get warm air.

There is no engine block to superheat the air in a Tesla.

I find the auto setting cranks out much more heat than the manual setting. I have no clue why but it does. In cold weather I normally open the vent, set for windshield and run the heat at 64 or so degrees. cabin warms quickly and windows clear up. once warm I turn off the fan and close the vent, always run seat heats when cold out. if i'm on a long trip i'll leave the vent open and fan off as it still pushes warm air and keeps windshield clear. Works for me.

Sounds similar to my problem and I cannot make out whether it is my car or a normal M3 issue. I'm used to quality modern cars easily keeping a steady temperature once warmed up - so I do not have to thing about touching the controls at all on a long journey. However the M3 seems to be always 'hunting' for the right temperature - even after running for an hour or more (when any half decent control system should have reached a steady state) my car is blowing noticeably warm air out of the vents one minute and then noticeably cold air out five minutes later. It's really annoying and I am sure the cabin air temp is oscillating quite a lot. It's around 10c/50f outside in the UK at the moment (and it's not solar gain as the sun is not shining a lot!) so there should be no difficulty in controlled heating.

Have Tesla heard about 3 term control? PID...or is it just my car...??