Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin noise comparison: 12/2017 Model S vs 1/2018 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Decided to get measurements with the service loaner Model S vs my Model 3, for those who care. The Model S had a whopping 108 miles more than my 3 when I turned it back in compared to when I got home.

All measurements taken using "Decibel X" version 6.1.0 on iPhone X running iOS 11.2.5

Moving samples were captured on the same general stretch of road, with the phone directly in front of the steering wheel airbag but not touching.

The idle measurements are taken in my office parking lot with minimal nearby traffic, but not completely silent. I didn't think to capture the S in my garage with the door closed, which would have been ideal.

Model S - December 2017 build, 19" wheels:

0mph, fan off, 30 seconds: avg 49.6dB, max 51.8dB
0mph, fan set to 3, 30 seconds: avg 68.4dB, max 68.6dB

65mph, fan off, on smooth surface, 10 seconds: avg 84.0dB, max 87.4dB

Model 3 - January 2017 build, 18" wheels:

0mph, fan off, 30 seconds: avg 51.2dB, max 52.6dB
0mph, fan set to 3, 30 seconds: avg 56.9dB, 58.5dB

65mph, fan off, on smooth surface, 10 seconds: avg 82.8dB, max 85.0dB

Other than one unusual data point that Model S is generating more noise (0 mph, fan set at 3 and 68 db), the two cars are comparable

Interesting since the test showed the 3 quieter at 65 on the highway.

This is not 3db., 84 vs 82.8 is not a 3 db difference. You need a 3db difference for the human ear to hear it. However the frequency difference would make a difference in perception. The mics should be positioned where a human head would be to match the perception a human has of the sound.

Decided to get measurements with the service loaner Model S vs my Model 3, for those who care. The Model S had a whopping 108 miles more than my 3 when I turned it back in compared to when I got home.

All measurements taken using "Decibel X" version 6.1.0 on iPhone X running iOS 11.2.5

Moving samples were captured on the same general stretch of road, with the phone directly in front of the steering wheel airbag but not touching.

The idle measurements are taken in my office parking lot with minimal nearby traffic, but not completely silent. I didn't think to capture the S in my garage with the door closed, which would have been ideal.

Model S - December 2017 build, 19" wheels:

0mph, fan off, 30 seconds: avg 49.6dB, max 51.8dB
0mph, fan set to 3, 30 seconds: avg 68.4dB, max 68.6dB

65mph, fan off, on smooth surface, 10 seconds: avg 84.0dB, max 87.4dB

Model 3 - January 2017 build, 18" wheels:

0mph, fan off, 30 seconds: avg 51.2dB, max 52.6dB
0mph, fan set to 3, 30 seconds: avg 56.9dB, 58.5dB

65mph, fan off, on smooth surface, 10 seconds: avg 82.8dB, max 85.0dB
Thank you for the info....interesting stuff.

I had a ride in a Model 3 today (back seat), followed by a test drive. These rides were immediately after two people took test drives in my Model S over the same route, with me in the back seat. The ride was a loop of roughly 3 miles on local roads. I was startled by how quiet the Model 3 seemed (as well as by how smoothly it rode). It was definitely better than I expected. My S has 19" wheels with the original Michelin tires, now with close to 30K on them. The Model 3 had the standard wheels, with the aerodynamic wheel covers. I surmise that part of the difference is simply that the Model 3 is brand new, with a nice tight suspension, with brand new tires. Still, it was surprising. I look forward to trying it on the highway.

There is no way the S is that loud at 65 mph. I tested in the low 70's and according to http://www.auto-decibel-db.com/ the S is in the mid 60's.

Since the mast majority (all?) of the noise on the freeway speeds is due to tires, the specific stretch of pavement you are driving on (and your specific tires) will have a big impact. If you are not comparing the car on the same stretch of road, you are not comparing. I believe your car is quiet - but probably not on the same stretch of road.

Something seems wrong with the OP’s measurements. Noise levels of low to mid 80s in either car are very noisy. My S75 is very quiet at speeds of 65 & 70 and I’d bet the levels are consistent with the chart that was referenced in an earlier post, probably in the 60s. In fact I don’t think there was a car in that chart that was in the 80+dB range.

I remember that there was at least one thread on the "S" forum concerning sound attenuation, with various techniques discussed and some actually employed-all about 3 years ago. I also sort of recall that I took out my SPL meter put it on C weighted SLO and made some cabin recordation's. I did that because within seconds of achieveing even 30MPH, any occupant, including me remarked on the cabin noise being greater than expected, for whatever the reason.

I could take out my Zaxcom Nomad and setup various miss, including some COS 11's in the fender wells, etc., import to Pro Tools and Izotope and get frrquencies and Db levels, if I had a non anachronistic model S and a 3 hand. However,I think all that would put me in the same place I am with my S for now-I turn the music on... YMMV one's auditory acuity will have a lot to do with how noisy one thinks the cabin is... I haven't broken out my Pelter 500 tactical Sport's yet though.

Thank you very much

FURY