Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin noise comparison: 12/2017 Model S vs 1/2018 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any noticeable differences in frequency profiles? I've not used Decibel X but my understanding is that it can do some basic spectrum analysis.

I've used some android equivalent on a Samsung S8 in my model S75D and found that the body has a distinct resonance at around 70Hz which is amongst the lowest I've measured on various cars. They were resurfacing the freeway on my way to work and had dimpled the surface to improve adhesion. Well let me tell you, at around 80kph the car droned so badly that it could shake out fillings. The 70Hz definitely needs more damping.

On a normal surface however where the resonance doesn't get pinged levels were around 52-56dB.

What we really need is an app that does A-weighting measurement to see what the human ear is actually going to hear.

I feel like the M3 is significantly louder then my early 2014 S and I had various wind noise issues in the S that were resolved early on. Especially over 55 mph, there's this wind noise that doesn't seem to be coming from anywhere specific.

Thanks fr starting this interesting thread. The numbers in the original observations are surprisingly high. In the workplace 85dB is considered damaging to the ears if there is long term exposure of 8 hours, yet i don't think that driving a model S all day will cause hearing damage. I wonder if there is a setting in decibel X that shifts the scale for some reason? The YouTube videos above showing readings of 68-70 dB seem more intuitive.
My diesel Mercedes GL has lots of engine noise at low speeds, but at highway speed seems very quiet, as if the engine noise is somehow left behind. Without having taken measurements I would guess it is quieter than my X at 80mph.
Another factor to consider is tire wear. Tires with 30k miles are generally much noisier than new tires. I recently replaced front tires on my X and found a very noticeable hush in the cabin after the change.
The tread wear is a good point. The Model 3 was obviously on new tires, however the S was on low profile end of life. I did however just replace them with the same exact tires (but new). I'll have to do a revisit to see how|if this changes the results.

I remember that there was at least one thread on the "S" forum concerning sound attenuation, with various techniques discussed and some actually employed-all about 3 years ago. I also sort of recall that I took out my SPL meter put it on C weighted SLO and made some cabin recordation's. I did that because within seconds of achieveing even 30MPH, any occupant, including me remarked on the cabin noise being greater than expected, for whatever the reason.

I could take out my Zaxcom Nomad and setup various miss, including some COS 11's in the fender wells, etc., import to Pro Tools and Izotope and get frrquencies and Db levels, if I had a non anachronistic model S and a 3 hand. However,I think all that would put me in the same place I am with my S for now-I turn the music on... YMMV one's auditory acuity will have a lot to do with how noisy one thinks the cabin is... I haven't broken out my Pelter 500 tactical Sport's yet though.

Thank you very much

FURY

I do remember putting sound blamkets in my S in Jan 2015, which, depending on placement improved things a bit...

This described i the quote above would be reasonably definitive and mics of various types could be placed throughout the cabin, as well, as we do for production Sound recording. Since the S does have rather high Db levels at 60MPH and up, another set of measure cents, albeit with multiple permutations would be related to checking levels, with a "typical" music selection that masks the cabin noise level. That could be getting to an unhealthy Db level, with transients, etc.. THAT is where the issue is with relatively high ambient cabin Db levels, although the end user may choose to jack up the SPL irrespective of anything whatsoever...

Thank you very much

FURY.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
I think the S is likely more quiet than the 3. I would suggest you consider the ability of your 'app' to measure sound accurately... I doubt the mic on your phone is that able to detect actual noise. I bought a real decibel meter and used it to compare when I was shopping for a new IC car and it was VERY accurate. Wish I still had it, I would measure my S 100D and share results. I think the sound insulation and othe factors in the S are likely more robust than in the 3, just a hunch... now if you really want noise, my roadster is top contender!

Last edited:
Reactions: ℬête Noire
I think the S is likely more quiet than the 3. I would suggest you consider the ability of your 'app' to measure sound accurately... I doubt the mic on your phone is that able to detect actual noise. I bought a real decibel meter and used it to compare when I was shopping for a new IC car and it was VERY accurate. Wish I still had it, I would measure my S 100D and share results. I think the sound insulation and othe factors in the S are likely more robust than in the 3, just a hunch... now if you really want noise, my roadster is top contender!
That's was done here.

More here:
Model 3 Sound Level Tests: Model 3 Sound Level Tests - YouTube
Model S Sound Level Tests: Model S Sound Level Tests - YouTube

• Informative
Reactions: Troy and pdxrob
That's was done here.

More here:
Model 3 Sound Level Tests: Model 3 Sound Level Tests - YouTube
Model S Sound Level Tests: Model S Sound Level Tests - YouTube

Noise measurements between various vehicles must be done with same conditions: speed,road,wind,temperature,apparatus and so on,
Also tyres ave very important but can’t be the same between dozens of vehicles
I found the following information :

http://www.itineraire-metro.fr/voitures/bruit_voitures.php

Tesla model S is ranking 12th amongst 1362 cars with 61,6dB at 74,6 mph

Noise measurements between various vehicles must be done with same conditions: speed,road,wind,temperature,apparatus and so on,
Also tyres ave very important but can’t be the same between dozens of vehicles
I found the following information :

Calcul du meilleur itinéraire en métro à Paris

Tesla model S is ranking 12th amongst 1362 cars with 61,6dB at 74,6 mph
Unlikely; any heavy traffic, jackhammer, bus, or motorcycle passing will prove that wrong. Also, you didn't specify if the cars had the option for double insulation, such as in their windows. It seems as if the above tests were done with pristine conditions and no other traffic; that is a false test.

Well , I think that's just a lie Tesla owners keep telling themselves, including me. Yes, it's quite at idle, but after 40mph, Model S is not a quite car. Actually, I find my Volvo S90 much quieter then Model S. I've found such a website: Auto Decibel Database not sure where this data comes from, but values look legit.
Similar comparison to my 2015 BMW X3 and 2018 Tesla M3. I make the same 26 mile drive several times a week. In the Tesla at 70 mph I feel compelled to wear earphones but not in my older BMW X3. The M3 is obviously and irritatingly noisier.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Wherever the information comes from I have trouble trusting someone who says the MS is a hybrid. Attention to detail does not seem to be in his/her wheelhouse.
desktop
Tesla Model S Hybrid 2012 35.6 57.3 61.1 61.3 62.1 62.4
Tesla Model S Hybrid 2013 35.0 61.0 64.4 65.1 67.7 68.0

How can there be 43 cars quieter than an X "at idle"?

Last edited: