Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin noise in model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Folks-
Those who have driven model Y, how does the cabin noise in model Y compare to model 3?
Also, I read that the cabin noise in model 3 has been reduced in the latest builds (2020s). Any truth to it?
thanks.

This is only my first full day with the my new MY, but cabin noise seem louder than expected. Especially since there is not engine noise, the wind and road noise seems louder. Maybe that is why Tesla has a kick ass sound system, to drown out the wind noise.

I go the other way. My Performance Y with PUP seems louder than my May 2018 3 RWD LR (with 18" without aeros on). Some of that might be due to the uberturbines, that I have put both the roof and the door noise reducing kits on my 3 and some people even swear that the full tinting helps some (My Y isn't tinted yet).

My MY is much quieter than than my previous M3, even after I installed the RPM noise kit on it. I'm in the process of installing the RPM noise kit on my MY this weekend, mainly to keep the door jambs dryer and cleaner, but will see if it quiets it even more. The kit I installed previously didn't include the hood and hatch which this one does so that's a plus. Right now I have no noise issues at all but hey, even more quiet would be nice!

Quieter than our 2017 M3 (early VIN), louder than our late 2015 MS. Has this boomy resonance that some people hate, but I love it, coupled with minimal wind noise.

The Continental tires suck, and I won't regret wearing them out and replacing them with (hopefully by then) Michelin MXM4s.

Test drove a Y Thursday. Compared to our 3 (2020 P-/18”) it was “boomy” going over bumps. To the point of almost irritating. I wondered if it was the higher interior volume, especially with no trunk, or maybe reduced body stiffness - again without the trunk structure. I mentioned it to the sales guy and he thought it was the 20” wheels/tires on the Y that made the sound. Anyone else notice the booming? Tires?

Folks-
Those who have driven model Y, how does the cabin noise in model Y compare to model 3?
Also, I read that the cabin noise in model 3 has been reduced in the latest builds (2020s). Any truth to it?
thanks.
My Y is considerably quieter that my 03/2019 M3LRRwd. They did improve seals and did modifications to tRNA in the 2020 models that where night and day compared to my M3 noise wise, and those carried over to Y. On a side note, my Y has started to increase the noise heard. I assume as the seals and other components have stretched and settled. But it’s still considerably quieter that my old M3.

My MY is much quieter than than my previous M3, even after I installed the RPM noise kit on it. I'm in the process of installing the RPM noise kit on my MY this weekend, mainly to keep the door jambs dryer and cleaner, but will see if it quiets it even more. The kit I installed previously didn't include the hood and hatch which this one does so that's a plus. Right now I have no noise issues at all but hey, even more quiet would be nice!
Can you please link to this kit? Easy to install?

I don't notice the wind/road noise. I just hear my wife nagging me to sell my other two vehicles.

All jokes aside, there is some wind noise but it's nothing major compared to other vehicles. The lack of exhaust and engine noises, along with vibrations from the engine tend to mask the wind/road noise. I do notice that the Y has louder noises from the suspension when going over rough patches of road. Other vehicles seem to dampen the suspension road noise better (ie Audi, Lexus, etc). Just crank up the music and drown it out.

Reactions: rxlawdude
me.[/QUOTE]
model-3-door-noise-reduction-kit-29-with-20-off
Here you go. I received it yesterday afternoon and just had time to install the B and A pillar kits (in that order as per the install video) so I can't tell you much yet. I'll update once I finish up today and go for a drive.
Update: have issues with the kit provided, will see how RPM Tesla responds and update again.

Reactions: HeyEph