Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin noise in model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I finally get my Y (expected 12/16), I'll experiment with acoustical clouds, which are hung in major concert halls around the world to help break up reflected sound.

I'll probably hang different sized Tesla emblems, maybe a rotating mobile. I'll keep you posted.

We wouldn’t need to if it wasn’t the worlds biggest bass drum rolling down the road. The amount of extremely low frequency noise that the Model Y amplifies while going down the road is unequaled, in my experience.

Seriously, I would get that shelf for the back. I'm a bass player, and low frequency sounds are best controlled with baffling.

Someone used to make one, but i can't seem to find it.

Seriously, I would get that shelf for the back. I'm a bass player, and low frequency sounds are best controlled with baffling.

Someone used to make one, but i can't seem to find it.

It's here...

Model Y

I have on in my MY and it has made a big difference in cabin noise.
20201128-093706.jpg

I had mine in for service for some crazy wind noise on the passenger side of the car. While it’s better, it’s still there. Driverside is silent. Thinking about the RPM kit. It’s weird it’s only on the passenger side. Other than that, car is silent.

I took delivery of my Model Y in early November. This week, I made a round trip of about 675 miles. My daughter and I both talked about how quiet the car is. I've been quite impressed with it - no problems at all, and I wear hearing aids which accentuates peaky sounds.

BTW - mine does NOT have the new laminated double-glass windows.

I completely agree with this, my 08/20 Model Y with Gemini's has loud low frequency boominess over any slight road imperfection. My 04/19 Model 3 with 18" Aero's never had this and was significantly quieter and better handling on the road. The Model Y with Gemini's feels bouncey and squirrelly on freshly paved roads as well. Personally I think it's the Continental's and can't wait to get my Winter tires / rims installed to see if they make a difference.
I had my winter rim 19" and continental ice tire installed, felt more boominess on the bumpy road. It's like a low frequency resonance. The inside of car like a drum, some one play the drum. and we are inside the drum.

I completely agree with this, my 08/20 Model Y with Gemini's has loud low frequency boominess over any slight road imperfection. My 04/19 Model 3 with 18" Aero's never had this and was significantly quieter and better handling on the road. The Model Y with Gemini's feels bouncey and squirrelly on freshly paved roads as well. Personally I think it's the Continental's and can't wait to get my Winter tires / rims installed to see if they make a difference.
Did you change your tires? If so, did it reduce or eliminate the boom? I just got a brand new Model Y and it's driving me crazy. Went to Tesla service and they said it is normal, and should get better after a few thousand miles once suspension breaks in.

Did you change your tires? If so, did it reduce or eliminate the boom? I just got a brand new Model Y and it's driving me crazy. Went to Tesla service and they said it is normal, and should get better after a few thousand miles once suspension breaks in.

I can confirm this to not be true. How? I swapped to MPP coilovers before I added a majority of my booming reduction items (rigid hatch stops and tubing in the gasket). It was still annoying after the coilover installation.

If someone claims otherwise I bet they just got used to it.

I wouldn't wait for your suspension to settle. I'd just mod it right away if it's bugging you.

I can confirm this to not be true. How? I swapped to MPP coilovers before I added a majority of my booming reduction items (rigid hatch stops and tubing in the gasket). It was still annoying after the coilover installation.

I wouldn't wait for your suspension to settle. I'd just mod it right away if it's bugging you.
I'll second this. I did MPP coilovers, mass loaded vinyl, acoustic foam, tubing, and rigid hatch stops.

MPP improved the ride considerably.

Tubing and hatch stops helped the boominess more than anything else.

Still glad I did everything to make the car quiet. Can't wait to get new tires when my OEM Goodyears wear out. I'm going 255/45/R20, most likely the Quatrac Pros.

Reactions: quartzav
I'll second this. I did MPP coilovers, mass loaded vinyl, acoustic foam, tubing, and rigid hatch stops.

MPP improved the ride considerably.

Tubing and hatch stops helped the boominess more than anything else.

Still glad I did everything to make the car quiet. Can't wait to get new tires when my OEM Goodyears wear out. I'm going 255/45/R20, most likely the Quatrac Pros.
Rigid hatch stops I presume? Which tubing solution did you go with?

HAHA! I'll take that bet!!!

Your single data point of "boominess", corroborated by JonB65, might represent a few/some/several/most MYs, but certainly not all!

At age 67, I've not lost any of my hearing (I'm tested regularly). The boominess in my MY was eliminated by adjusting the rubber stops on the rear hatch. For sure, I've not just gotten "used to it", as the boominess just doesn't exist anymore. I've had numerous passengers, all of them fussy, classically trained musicians, 2 reputable recording engineers, who pride themselves on their hearing, and none of them have registered any complaint of "boominess". Rough ride, yes, but no boominess.

I'm thinking there's just enough variance in the manufacturing tolerance of these models that it creates some that boom, others that don't. If it were universal amongst ALL MYs, there would be thousands of complaints, not the few we're reading about here.

I don't doubt the issue exists, I just don't think it is universal. ;)

• Disagree
Reactions: MyEarHurts
HAHA! I'll take that bet!!!

Your single data point of "boominess", corroborated by JonB65, might represent a few/some/several/most MYs, but certainly not all!

At age 67, I've not lost any of my hearing (I'm tested regularly). The boominess in my MY was eliminated by adjusting the rubber stops on the rear hatch. For sure, I've not just gotten "used to it", as the boominess just doesn't exist anymore. I've had numerous passengers, all of them fussy, classically trained musicians, 2 reputable recording engineers, who pride themselves on their hearing, and none of them have registered any complaint of "boominess". Rough ride, yes, but no boominess.

I'm thinking there's just enough variance in the manufacturing tolerance of these models that it creates some that boom, others that don't. If it were universal amongst ALL MYs, there would be thousands of complaints, not the few we're reading about here.

I don't doubt the issue exists, I just don't think it is universal. ;)
@Pianewman I agree that this can't be happening with all/most MYs.

I also had continued boominess after my MPP coilover installation.

For me, I think the hatch stops adjustment make the biggest difference/improvement. I can change the hatch stop adjustment and bring the boominess back. This is even true after the tubing installation. For me.