Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin Noise in Refresh Model X 2022

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model X is still not quite as hushed as some of the high end competition
That is an understatement
Tesla claims that they could make their cars even quieter (wind noise) if they were allowed to replace the side view mirrors with tiny cameras.
100% of vehicles that are quieter than the MX have side mirrors. So why are they suggesting that is an obstacle?

Reactions: DelPhonic1
My 2022 Tesla Model X purchased in Aug had Wind noise coming from the passenger side of car at speeds at over 60mph
Tesla Service center found what was the causing wind noise
1. Right front door - a rubber strip seal located between the wing mirror and the door window was protruding up by 1/4"
This strip seal is now level and not protruding up
2. The vertical rubber strip installed on the inside of the front passenger door was loose and was not forming a seal against the
body of the car when the door was closed
This seal on the front passenger door and drivers door is now replaced with the new an improved seal that has a stronger adhesive to keep the seal in place

Attachments

• IMG_5911.jpeg
    IMG_5911.jpeg
    383.4 KB · Views: 444
  • IMG_5907.jpeg
    IMG_5907.jpeg
    430 KB · Views: 363
Reactions: jiehan
Our 2022 Model X has so much noise at highway speed that the blue tooth phone function is unusable. Whoever you are talking with cannot hear you due to the roar of wind noise. Very disappointing for a vehicle in this price range. My other lesser priced vehicles have much less road noise.
I dowloaded a DB (decibel meter) to my iPhone and recorded the wind noise at 65, 70 and 75 mph
These were my reading that I sent to Tesla Service center using the Tesla app
They agreed that the DB levels were high and I took the car in
The Tesla Tech got in the passenger seat, I drove he listened and identified where the wind noise was come from and the problem was fixed

Attachments

• IMG_5610.PNG
    IMG_5610.PNG
    546.6 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_5614.PNG
    IMG_5614.PNG
    552 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_5616.PNG
    IMG_5616.PNG
    541.2 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_5913.jpeg
    IMG_5913.jpeg
    87.3 KB · Views: 331
Reactions: Tz00
I dowloaded a DB (decibel meter) to my iPhone and recorded the wind noise at 65, 70 and 75 mph
The Tesla Tech got in the passenger seat, I drove he listened and identified where the wind noise was come from and the problem was fixed
What were your dB measurements after the service visit?

I have the same exact issues as VCPRICE. The protruding driver-side window trim made a whistling sound but it was fixed after an SC visit. The seals on the two front doors are falling off but I'm not sure if that will cause wind noise and that's the fix for the next SC visit.

As for the interior noise, it differs from vehicle to vehicle since the QC is not really there. My MXP was super quiet when I took delivery but after 1200 miles squeaking and rattling started to come out. I really don't like rattling in a 150K vehicle.

As for driving noise, it's mostly road noise and wind noise (wind noise is ok and it depends on the exterior fit and finishes like gaps, trims, and seals. 🤞).

The SUV is definitely solid and quiet enough to give you a premium feel assuming the fit and finishes are all good. I am very sensitive to rattle and squeaking but ok with wind noise as long as it's not whistling or too loud.

I would rank the cars I have driven in this order regarding noise level while driving, from quiet to loud (only personal experience). None of these cars had rattles and squeaks except MPX.

2019 Lexus LS350 < 2019 MB GLS 450 < 2012 MB GL 350 Diesel < 2017 Porsche Macan GTS = Model X Plaid (20inch wheel) < 2009 Subaru Outback < 2012 VW GTI < 2009 Subaru Forester

I put miles on these cars in the city and highways; I experienced them all. Porsche, MXP, and the Forester are in the household currently.

I hope this is helpful and give you a perspective.

Reactions: jiehan
Coming from Mercedes GLE450, I quickly noticed our 2022 Model X has more noticeable cabin noise. I’ve been checking the noise levels on Apple Watch Noises app on both vehicles the last two weeks. On freeway at around 65mph the watch records 65dB noise in Model X, vs 60dB in Mercedes GLE on similar asphalt roads. Subjectively speaking, most noise is from wind noise, although road noise is also significant especially on concrete roads.

Coming from Mercedes GLE450, I quickly noticed our 2022 Model X has more noticeable cabin noise. I’ve been checking the noise levels on Apple Watch Noises app on both vehicles the last two weeks. On freeway at around 65mph the watch records 65dB noise in Model X, vs 60dB in Mercedes GLE on similar asphalt roads. Subjectively speaking, most noise is from wind noise, although road noise is also significant especially on concrete roads.
I have wind noise in both front windows in the back corner when I get over around 30 mph. It starts to get irritating . I’ve been to the service center twice and they have not been able to see anything wrong with the car but yet the wind noise is there. I have not tried any of these online kits yet, but I’m just wondering if anybody else has done anything about this on their own?

Great I just ordered a plaid 2023 coming from a 2016 x and I still have to be concerned about damn noise ?

My 2023 X is quieter than my 2016 S but it's not hugely quieter. I definitely feel it has fewer drafts and stays warmer in the cabin longer so they definitely did something to help with sound and wind intrusion which was my biggest issue with the 2016 S.

Reactions: Art VandeIay
my refreshed X is quieter than all of my previous Xs but recently it developed wind noise sometimes when I opened my windows.

Brought it in yesterday and they said the fixed window's rubber piece was cut/damaged so they replaced but upon test drive they still noticed wind noise. They had to re-align the mirror assembly closer to exterior belt seal.

When I brought it in I thought the wind noise was back under control because it was only sometimes loud. So for them to say that it was unacceptably loud gives me hope that on pickup it is even more quiet

Our 2022 Model X has so much noise at highway speed that the blue tooth phone function is unusable. Whoever you are talking with cannot hear you due to the roar of wind noise. Very disappointing for a vehicle in this price range. My other lesser priced vehicles have much less road noise.

Odd. Ours 2022 MXP is way quieter than our P85D was where the bluetooth was unusable. Everyone on the other end of the calls says they don't hear any background noise and it's like the phone is right at our mouth. I'm sooo much happier with the bluetooth on our X.

Not that this is comparable unless we're all using calibrated meters, but the noise app on my S22 varies between 65 and 68 db at 70 mph depending on the road surface.

Purchased my 2022 Model X Plaid at the end of December 2022. It is a Freemont build in August with quality throughout.

I also own a 2021 Model Y Long Range but I find it to be much quieter than the MX. When I drive the MX the road noise is so loud from my drivers door that I can hear the wheels on the roadway through the door as well as every other vehicle I pass on the roadway.

Unfortunately for me, I live in a remote area with no service center to take it to. I suspect the drivers door is somehow not fully latching or there is some adjustment to the hinges (perhaps?). Regardless, my MY (with winter tires) is MUCH quieter than my 2022 MX Plaid with OEM all season tires. By comparison, the MY handles much better too...if Tesla ever updates the MY interior and dresses it up a bit (to mimic the Model S) they will have the perfect car (IMHO)...they finally updated the suspension on the MY...about time.

2016 90D X vs 2023 Plaid X
Hugely disappointed
I feel entirely ripped off
Hardly any noise improvement at all especially on high way
Its bull crap.\

Seats are more narrow and uncomfortable
Feet hurt because of sciatica from the narrow seat

Wish I had test drove before, but there was none available in my area!

Reactions: tierneyalvin
I have a 2023 Model X with 20" wheels. I would certainly not declare the cabin as "loud". Wind noise is pretty much non-existent, the only noise I get is some road noise on the highway and it really depends on the pavement I'm driving over. Cabin noise is very acceptable. The radio at a lower volume setting more than makes up for what road noise is there. The speakers are outstanding imo.

Now there are people that drive in BMW's and Mercedes that claim a perfectly quiet cabin. I can believe that, those cars are designed specifically around removing you from the outside noise. They've also had many decades of perfecting their cars. Never rode in a foreign brand.

I think it is a large improvement over my 2018 Model 3. I also drive a F150 Raptor that I'd say is equally if not slightly louder on the road than the X, again with road noise coming through the tires.

Tesla is moving in the right direction in terms of build quality and comfort imo. My Model 3 just did not feel like a 50k car. My 2023 Model X feels like a 100k car. The Model X refresh is much nicer of a car than it's outgoing predecessor

Last edited:
Reactions: GoVols!
I have a 2023 Model X with 20" wheels. I would certainly not declare the cabin as "loud". Wind noise is pretty much non-existent, the only noise I get is some road noise on the highway and it really depends on the pavement I'm driving over. Cabin noise is very acceptable. The radio at a lower volume setting more than makes up for what road noise is there. The speakers are outstanding imo.

Now there are people that drive in BMW's and Mercedes that claim a perfectly quiet cabin. I can believe that, those cars are designed specifically around removing you from the outside noise. They've also had many decades of perfecting their cars. Never rode in a foreign brand.

I think it is a large improvement over my 2018 Model 3. I also drive a F150 Raptor that I'd say is equally if not slightly louder on the road than the X, again with road noise coming through the tires.

Tesla is moving in the right direction in terms of build quality and comfort imo. My Model 3 just did not feel like a 50k car. My 2023 Model X feels like a 100k car. The Model X refresh is much nicer of a car than it's outgoing predecessor

No the car is absolutely loud especially on the highway. I am coming from a 2016 90D. They had nearly 7 years to fix noise, and they didnt do crap. Im so disappointed in my purchase. I was suckered into trading in, and now I have this 150k car with no significant upgrades.
Worse is for 150k brand new car I have to drive all the way to the service center 1 hour from here to get these issues addressed.
NO more tesla ever again. Big time buyer remorse and a warning to those thinking of trading in, or getting a new one, you have been warned about the noise.

Reactions: MARKM3
No the car is absolutely loud especially on the highway. I am coming from a 2016 90D. They had nearly 7 years to fix noise, and they didnt do crap. Im so disappointed in my purchase. I was suckered into trading in, and now I have this 150k car with no significant upgrades.
Worse is for 150k brand new car I have to drive all the way to the service center 1 hour from here to get these issues addressed.
NO more tesla ever again. Big time buyer remorse and a warning to those thinking of trading in, or getting a new one, you have been warned about the noise.

Fair points, I'd trade the car in ASAP so you can maximize your value and minimize your loss