Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin Noise in Refresh Model X 2022

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

I need your help here since I can’t test drive one. How’s the cabin noise in the new model X especially on the freeway? Coming from Model S 2018.

I really appreciate any help here to make my decision.

Definitely quieter than my 2015 Model S 85D…not sure how to quantify that though.

Bruce.

Reactions: croman and Dhshoury
Hey guys,

I need your help here since I can’t test drive one. How’s the cabin noise in the new model X especially on the freeway? Coming from Model S 2018.

I really appreciate any help here to make my decision.
Cabin noise varies so much from vehicle to vehicle with Tesla.

It would be nice if they let you test drive the car you were actually going to buy. But my guess is, they don’t on purpose because of the lackluster QC.

A lot quieter than my 2018 X. The 2022 is much sturdier and the materials more solid / less plastic, which may contribute.

There is also active noise cancelling if the rear seats are unoccupied, though I can’t say I’ve noticed a difference.

Someone did dB tests when the 2022 first came out, but I couldn’t find it in a quick search.
That is my experience also. The 2018 was quite a bit noisier as speed increased.

That is my experience also. The 2018 was quite a bit noisier as speed increased.
My 2018 MX is just barely quiet enough, but could be way quieter so I'm happy to hear more confirmation of this. I went thru a couple rounds of trying diff tires to knock down the sound in the 2018 at speed. But now, that killer sound system and the Tidal downloads, will be even more rewarding on long trips.

I’m currently in a 2017 loaner while my X refresh is in the shop getting perfected. But my new X is super quiet and by far the most peaceful car I’ve ever owned. It instantly spoiled me for all other cars. Along with it being super roomy. Every now and again I get a slight rattle from the third row seat when it’s in the down position… I realized it was the vegan leather rubbing. I put a hand towel there and it stopped. I’m super sensitive to rattles.

Our 2022 Model X has so much noise at highway speed that the blue tooth phone function is unusable. Whoever you are talking with cannot hear you due to the roar of wind noise. Very disappointing for a vehicle in this price range. My other lesser priced vehicles have much less road noise.
I've had to slow down to about 65 and move the seat forward in order or the phone to work properly. I'm hoping the Plaid arrives and it is as quiet for me as @DNSJames .

Reactions: Dhshoury
Our 2022 Model X has so much noise at highway speed that the blue tooth phone function is unusable. Whoever you are talking with cannot hear you due to the roar of wind noise. Very disappointing for a vehicle in this price range. My other lesser priced vehicles have much less road noise.
I’m so concerned about this! If this is the case, I can’t have the car. This is so important to me since I do a lot of phone calls during my drive. Have you check with service center? I’m trying to figure out if it’s just your car or everyone else?

I’m so concerned about this! If this is the case, I can’t have the car. This is so important to me since I do a lot of phone calls during my drive. Have you check with service center? I’m trying to figure out if it’s just your car or everyone else?
After about 2 months, it’s an issue that seems to come and go in severity. Not an issue at lower speeds, but in TX most highways are 70-75mph. As my speed increases, it’s an issue still. Haven’t brought it in to have service check it due to schedule, but plan to soon.

OMG, I had that issue on my 2019 Raven X.
I didn’t think the cabin noise was that bad on it but it had very poor back ground noise suppression on phone calls. Unbelievable.

My 2022 Model S is great, people can hear me now. And the cabin is quieter. But not by a massive amount. Overall very happy. I thought the X Refresh would be more or less the same.

OMG, I had that issue on my 2019 Raven X.
I didn’t think the cabin noise was that bad on it but it had very poor back ground noise suppression on phone calls. Unbelievable.

My 2022 Model S is great, people can hear me now. And the cabin is quieter. But not by a massive amount. Overall very happy. I thought the X Refresh would be more or less the same.
X is going to be noisier than the S. More glass and more importantly more drag. But with that said, my 2022 X is considerably quieter than my 2018 X. They put in things like double side windows that help isolate some of the noise. I don't make phone calls a lot, but if I did I would use an wireless earpiece with ANC.

X is going to be noisier than the S. More glass and more importantly more drag. But with that said, my 2022 X is considerably quieter than my 2018 X. They put in things like double side windows that help isolate some of the noise. I don't make phone calls a lot, but if I did I would use an wireless earpiece with ANC.
Wireless earpiece !! Do they still even make those !!! That’s ridiculous.

Big difference between 2018 X and 2019 Raven X. Cabin on 2019 X wasn’t bad, but phone ANC was non existent.

I’ve had cars since 2010 that had phone ANC that worked fine. VW, Jeep etc.

There is just as much glass in an S as an X. It’s just where it ends up. If anything S has more glass because it doesn’t have the FWD that leave you with two very small areas of glass and all the structures to support the FWD. S just has one bar across where RVM and visors are and the entire rest, from hood to rear hatch, is glass. It’s massive. X has that same cross bar further back but after that it’s more metal than glass.

I suspect noise wise X cabin should be about the same. But for some reason ANC remains broken. S also has firmer suspension potentially coupling more tire noise in.

It sounds like your in a my living room for calls now. Can’t even tell I’m in the car driving 70mph. So does my friends Model Y. As it should be for any car over $20K these days.

Maybe it’s something to do with where mics are placed because of the X windshield.

Also if you paired your earpiece to a phone then the car can’t be paired which would lose messaging and other features.

Last edited:
Did you get it resolved at all? I have a service center appointment next week to look

My 22 MXP is noisy. It's much quieter than say a Model 3 and Y. But compared to other cars in its class, it's loud.
My 21 Audi E-tron is much quieter and overall feels more premium. Quality fit and finish you can see the difference.
But the MXP has addictive acceleration and the software is much better than Audi.

I'd definitely recommend renting a MX to test drive on Turo and also drive other cars in the same class to get first hand experience. If your going from Tesla to Tesla you wouldn't know how much quieter other cars are.

Reactions: Pho3k and jiehan
It’s not so much it’s so much noise. But the X always suffered with background noise cancelation. That’s why they can’t hear you. My X cabin was much quieter than the 3. But calls were fine in the 3 but terrible on the X and absolutely fine on the Refresh S. I think it has something to do with Mic placement limitations with the massive windshield on the X. Normally mics are up around the visor. That’s just a hunch on the reason. But it’s not a hunch that Model X sucks as background noise cancelation on calls.

My 2017 was a bit noisy, 2019 much better, and new refreshed X is quietest of all. Not only far less wind noise, but quieter suspension as well. Bumps dampeded better and less transmission of road noise into the cabin. Phone conversations effortless and can speak to passengers with normal voice, even at speed.

For the most part, the tire noise is more hushed, but still dependent on road surfaces. Some road compositions allow for a nearly silent ride, while other can still result in some noise getting in.

Model X is still not quite as hushed as some of the high end competition, who use hundreds of pounds of sound absorption materials to dampen all vibration. They need to do this to dampen out vibrations from their combustion engines, exhausts and multi speed transmissions. The inherent quiet of electric motors and the desire to keep weight down to enhance range might be the reasons that Tesla does not go the heavy sound insulation in their cars.

Tesla claims that they could make their cars even quieter (wind noise) if they were allowed to replace the side view mirrors with tiny cameras.