Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin noise refreshed 2021 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I cannot find any comment about the sound insulation of the new model S (and now model X). How is it? Is it better than the old one? I am not talking about the noise cancelation. Can anyone share his experience at high speeds? Is it finaly coming close to the silence of Mercs and BMWs?

Are you also talking about the vibration and shaking when accelerating?
I've had my 2016 MS for two years now and there is no such thing as vibration and shaking with it.

Are you referring to the shudder on acceleration that some Model S cars experience which has been for the most part identified as a defect with a specific drivetrain component and when replaced the issue is gone?

I cannot find any comment about the sound insulation of the new model S (and now model X). How is it? Is it better than the old one? I am not talking about the noise cancelation. Can anyone share his experience at high speeds? Is it finaly coming close to the silence of Mercs and BMWs?
Yes, its better than the old one.

Yes, its better than the old one.
I saw that and its quite stupid test. Insulating sound outside the stationary car is absolutely different than tire and wind noise when car is moving. Therefore that test is uselss.
I saw a yourube video where they measured with decibel metter while driving and it showed 70dBA at loudest measurement which is not good at all.

In this mashup between different EV models, Kyle compares the NVH of each vehicle, and also does a great job with driving tests.

To my ears, even older cars in the economy class such Hyundai Elantra will outperform any Tesla in a cabin noise test, particularly on the highway. Even by microphone test, a similarly loud vehicle in dB to the Model S will still sound more loud, due to the way the sound is perceived. Big auto = dull roar. Tesla = white noise machine

• Informative
Reactions: BooMan

In this mashup between different EV models, Kyle compares the NVH of each vehicle, and also does a great job with driving tests.

To my ears, even older cars in the economy class such Hyundai Elantra will outperform any Tesla in a cabin noise test, particularly on the highway. Even by microphone test, a similarly loud vehicle in dB to the Model S will still sound more loud, due to the way the sound is perceived. Big auto = dull roar. Tesla = white noise machine
That sux. Cabin noise is one of the most important parameter in any car. Its a such a shame tesla does not care. I have borrowed an X. Its a perfect car…..it has just 1 flaw. Its like driving a car with a vacuum cleaner running inside. Cant spend so much money on such a disconfort :( Also in our country we have 130km/h(82miles) limit on highways its higher than 70miles many US have if I understand correctly. That could be the reason why there is not more ppl complaining about the noise I can think of.

Reactions: BooMan
Active noise cancellation coming according to Elon, but usual fine print applies - pending software validation and government approvals, so impossible to tell when it will be done and available. Those who bought Full Self Driving in 2016 can tell you what that means. I'm talking the original FSD which Tesla sold between 2016 and 2019, not the neutered post 2019 definition.

ANC has been used in other manufacturers cars for a long time. Usually it acts as a mild supplement to reduce LF noise in an already otherwise quiet and well sealed interior.

If you think about it, ANC can only go so far in a big cabin like a car. You have to worry about pressure sensation at eardrums, microphone interference, etc…

There is a reason manufacturers don’t crank up the ANC to noticeable levels in cars. ANC should be kinda felt not heard when done properly.

I’m optimistic that maybe with modern hardware / mics / DSP can solve all nowadays? Would be a nice way to keep the cars inexpensive and lightweight

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: QUBO
ANC has been used in other manufacturers cars for a long time. Usually it acts as a mild supplement to reduce LF noise in an already otherwise quiet and well sealed interior.

If you think about it, ANC can only go so far in a big cabin like a car. You have to worry about pressure sensation at eardrums, microphone interference, etc…

There is a reason manufacturers don’t crank up the ANC to noticeable levels in cars. ANC should be kinda felt not heard when done properly.

I’m optimistic that maybe with modern hardware / mics / DSP can solve all nowadays? Would be a nice way to keep the cars inexpensive and lightweight
Perhaps Tesla ANC Elon talks about is just another pipedream. Remember when he told us during the Model S dual motor and AP1 reveal how the car will find the owner anywhere on private property, or meet you at the curb every morning? So Elon thought that was going to be possible with just two cameras, some ultrasonic parking sensors and a radar, maybe this time he thinks he can make the interior silent with just some microphones and speakers, perhaps located near the headrests to noise cancel near the ears. It wouldn't be the first delusion Elon sold. He dreams big. Here is what Tesla had on their website selling AutoPilot 1.0 (toned down version of what Elon said it would do during the reveal event, but still a pipedream AP1 never even came near achieving).

tesla-AP1-summon.png

Reactions: Wolfsbane
Perhaps Tesla ANC Elon talks about is just another pipedream. Remember when he told us during the Model S dual motor and AP1 reveal how the car will find the owner anywhere on private property, or meet you at the curb every morning? So Elon thought that was going to be possible with just two cameras, some ultrasonic parking sensors and a radar, maybe this time he thinks he can make the interior silent with just some microphones and speakers, perhaps located near the headrests to noise cancel near the ears. It wouldn't be the first delusion Elon sold. He dreams big. Here is what Tesla had on their website selling AutoPilot 1.0 (toned down version of what Elon said it would do during the reveal event, but still a pipedream AP1 never even came near achieving).

View attachment 723892
Well. We all know that noise canceling simply cannot provide the same comfort as good soundproofing. Thats not an opinion, thats physics. I still hope the new X will have signicantly quiter cabin. Otherwise I would have to buy some other EV. And with opening SCH network to other brands, this will make even more sense

• Informative
Reactions: QUBO
I posted another thread on my impressions of the Plaid and concerns with cabin/wind noise. I've tested quite a few models with a DB meter app. At 75mph, the pre-raven Model S P90D was my favorite at 69-70db. A raven Model S performance was the worst, even thought I tested it at 71-72db the wind noise was intolerable at 75mph. The Plaid tested as 72-73db at 75mph, and while it did not sound quite as bad as intolerable as the raven performance Model S, it was still inexcusable at the Plaid asking price and a possible deal breaker for me. At highway speeds, the Plaid sounds like my 2010 BMW M3 which is pretty awful. I hate driving the plaid at highway speeds for this reason, its only a car I can enjoy and truly do love for city driving under 50mph.

I posted another thread on my impressions of the Plaid and concerns with cabin/wind noise. I've tested quite a few models with a DB meter app. At 75mph, the pre-raven Model S P90D was my favorite at 69-70db. A raven Model S performance was the worst, even thought I tested it at 71-72db the wind noise was intolerable at 75mph. The Plaid tested as 72-73db at 75mph, and while it did not sound quite as bad as intolerable as the raven performance Model S, it was still inexcusable at the Plaid asking price and a possible deal breaker for me. At highway speeds, the Plaid sounds like my 2010 BMW M3 which is pretty awful. I hate driving the plaid at highway speeds for this reason, its only a car I can enjoy and truly do love for city driving under 50mph.
Holy mother of all ****s. I cant bealive they didnt improve a bit at soundproofing in nearly 10 years of making model S. If this is true than X plaid will sux as well. Then I will have to choose other car. I sat in EQS. Its like sitiing in a tomb compared to my current 2017 X.

My wife actually has a Hyundai Elantra... cabin noise is terrible.... this new MSLR (refresh) is not bad at all - even though ANC is not yet active.. I rent cars frequently for work and Audi (6 series & up) is definitely better, but I'd say the MSLR is on par with the other Germans. I don't have any data to support the comparison to the german cars... but I don't need any data to be able to state unequivocally that the MSLR is MUCH quieter than an elantra...

• Helpful
Reactions: RabidYak
It is quiet in the new model S, but they messed up a bunch of the parts and those parts add noise. The yoke buzzes constantly, the HVAC whistles, and the rear-view mirror hoots when the HVAC is on. So, now that it is quieter inside, you hear all this other junk from bad engineering and bad software.

It's like they didn't build a test car and sit in it and carefully listen for noise... They just said, looks good, ship it.

Well. We all know that noise canceling simply cannot provide the same comfort as good soundproofing. Thats not an opinion, thats physics. I still hope the new X will have signicantly quiter cabin. Otherwise I would have to buy some other EV. And with opening SCH network to other brands, this will make even more sense
I managed to mostly fix my 10/2020 LR++. Local rust/soundproofing company (finikor) did the job, measurable -3dB difference. When the summer comes i’ll also ditch the stock tires, they are REALLY crappy in this sense.

Based on recent reports in the X forum, it now appears the refresh X is considerably louder than the outgoing X.