Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh my bad, I don't own a model 3... not yet... we might find a place for the reservation in the family... but my car is a 2017 P100D. Watch one of my videos for the car.

The noise is drastically different between the P100D and P85+ even with the same tires, (the P100D are staggered so should be louder). I would say something has happened very specific in the materials. I've driven a 100D loaner as well, but that one was very quiet. @TaoJones you've had both... why is the newer version more quiet?

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Does your P100D have the Michelin PS2s or the Pilot Super Sports (with the foam). The former are definitely louder (and staggered as well on the P85+: 245 Front / 265 Rear I believe), per one of our local Texas owners. Still, I can't deny the brand new (Feb 2018 manufacture date - 1250 miles) loaner was quieter across the board than my P85+...and I have installed sound deadener in the hatch area (both dampener and MLV). I really wish I knew exactly what (sound deadening) changes Tesla made in the later cars and "when" that occurred. The 100D loaner really made me think twice about a Model 3 - especially since I expect a loaded Model 3 Dual motor to get close to a pre-owned 100D...OK, maybe not THAT close!

Tao - I'm torn between the MXM4s and the Pirellis when my GETs give up the ghost (they have 16K miles on them now...doubt I will get more than 22K). My only concern about the Pirellis is their reported lack of traction on the RWD P85 cars. I already took a traction hit going from the PS2s to the GETs, hoping not to continue to head down that path. Note: I only drive about 9K miles a year so my annual hit on tire cost isn't too bad.

Here is a better pic of the trunk under the carpet, the area I insulated, from the teardown video
View attachment 300847

Btw, on the X I now have Nokian eNtyre which are very quiet and they make an even quieter z-line summer tire which fits the 3.
Hey do you know where the cabin air filter is. Sorry to highjack. Also is it possible to get access to the area where the vanity mirrors and the map lights are. That whole section could use some dampening

Tao - I'm torn between the MXM4s and the Pirellis when my GETs give up the ghost (they have 16K miles on them now...doubt I will get more than 22K). My only concern about the Pirellis is their reported lack of traction on the RWD P85 cars. I already took a traction hit going from the PS2s to the GETs, hoping not to continue to head down that path. Note: I only drive about 9K miles a year so my annual hit on tire cost isn't too bad.

Having done a perfect 90-degree left California drift in 2” of snow at 5mph through an intersection with the Michelins, I’m not a fan of them in snow either. Although they did okay climbing the hill in a straight line prior to the intersection, so there’s that.

I’ll know more about these Pirellis in snow and cold this week as I’ll be at 11,300’ and in snow country past that. Gotta love May up north.

So if you don’t hear from me in June, don’t buy the Pirellis. :)

America’s/Discount Tire and Amazon would be good sources in order to pay less - $193 at Amazon.
I was at tire rack. Thank you for this info. I have never seen a description like this before. Sunflower oil additive in a tire. I just check the specs of the tire and then buy it. Personally I have not been a fan of Michelin and found with the pilots (summer tires) also road noise after some wear. I have always bought continentals over the years which Tesla offers for the 19 inch upgraded rims. I will get the 18 inch continentals when the time comes.
  • Sunflower oil additive in tread compound helps provide increased traction at low temperatures for enhanced braking and handling in wet conditions and better overall performance in snow

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Has anyone tried to apply sound deadening material to the wheel wells on a Model 3? It looks like the wheel well lining is held on by some exposed fasteners. I wonder if taking this lining off and putting some Noico Sound Deadening matting in there would reduce road noise?
ASaR15l0SPOau8w6aN+jfA.jpg

Has anyone tried to apply sound deadening material to the wheel wells on a Model 3? It looks like the wheel well lining is held on by some exposed fasteners. I wonder if taking this lining off and putting some Noico Sound Deadening matting in there would reduce road noise?View attachment 300936
You should try it. It is fun taking apart a-vehicle (within reason of course) to learn about it. I assume it won’t void ur warranty if attempt this. Also I guess it is what your comfort level is to achieve this task. Good suggestions though. I had not heard of this product before. Keep the ideas and suggestions coming.

I have been trying to find the ac air filter. I have taken several areas of my car apart to to find the filter. I also tried wind noise reduction buy using backer rod and screen spline in the glass pano area.

I can’t wait to rotate my own tires. I will get some pics of what the model 3 has going on when it is on a lift when I am rotating the tires.

Last edited:
I was at tire rack. Thank you for this info. I have never seen a description like this before. Sunflower oil additive in a tire. I just check the specs of the tire and then buy it. Personally I have not been a fan of Michelin and found with the pilots (summer tires) also road noise after some wear. I have always bought continentals over the years which Tesla offers for the 19 inch upgraded rims. I will get the 18 inch continentals when the time comes.
  • Sunflower oil additive in tread compound helps provide increased traction at low temperatures for enhanced braking and handling in wet conditions and better overall performance in snow

You’re welcome. I like Continentals. Will have to read this info about sunflower oil a couple more times in order to properly digest it.

My impression is that the deep trunk acts as a resonance chamber for road noise so I took a look to see if there might be an easy fix. There are some noise dampening pieces on broad metal surfaces under the trunk carpet and one big sponge under the floor of the trunk. Here are pics looking under the lifted trunk carpet (it is continuous forward under the seats and I did not want to remove them for this project). The transverse piece marked by the yellow arrow has a thick (~2”) white foam covering it which extends foreword over the motor but the portion covering the top of this bar is thin compared to the rest.
[View attachment 294421 View attachment 294420

I covered the exposed metal starting from the top of the bar and going aft with Noico dampening material. I did not remove the side carpets—which at least on the left would expose more bare metal but the amplifier is on the right—or expose the wheel wells for modification.
According to my free iPhone app interior noise dropped about 5dB and my impression is that the car is much less “boomy” and seems noticeably quieter. A pro install treating more areas could accomplish even more but I am satisfied with this improvement, now the front wind noise is the major offender.
http://a.co/9rxcgvY
I had bought this material to apply to my X but found that car had quite a bit of insulating material in the trunk area already.
I will be looking into getting some of this material. I found very little wind noise but quite a bit of tire noise on rough surfaces. I live in Utah where we have many chip sealed roads. The resonating from the trunk makes sense. Please keep us informed of any new developments.

Reactions: Vern Padgett
I haven't noticed much wind noise but was stunned by the road noise when taking a trip on I 80 and secondary roads into the Sierra. I mean, I just quit driving a 2003 Jetta TDI oil burner, and the road noise was never this bad (okay, maybe I couldn't hear it over the diesel engine). Thanks for the tips on insulating the trunk. It sounded like a lot of the noise was coming through the wheel wells, though.

I haven't noticed much wind noise but was stunned by the road noise when taking a trip on I 80 and secondary roads into the Sierra. I mean, I just quit driving a 2003 Jetta TDI oil burner, and the road noise was never this bad (okay, maybe I couldn't hear it over the diesel engine). Thanks for the tips on insulating the trunk. It sounded like a lot of the noise was coming through the wheel wells, though.
I insulated my trunk and rear wheel wells and it didn't make much difference, I think the road noise is coming through the doors. I put some insulating material against the doors and drove around and it made a big difference, now I just need to get up the nerve to take the doors apart and put the insulating material inside. The road noise is a resonating roar that I have not noticed in other my other cars, definitely not in my Model X. It can be loud enough at highway speeds to make the trip annoying and tiring.

Reactions: SoCalGuy
I insulated my trunk and rear wheel wells and it didn't make much difference, I think the road noise is coming through the doors. I put some insulating material against the doors and drove around and it made a big difference, now I just need to get up the nerve to take the doors apart and put the insulating material inside. The road noise is a resonating roar that I have not noticed in other my other cars, definitely not in my Model X. It can be loud enough at highway speeds to make the trip annoying and tiring.

Would love to hear how well door insulation works if you add it! Road noise is the only thing preventing me from loving Model 3 on the highway :)

Reactions: SoCalGuy
Did U just tape it on the door for testing first?

Why Pirellis? Because the Michelins got loud the last 1/3 of their lives. Up to 85dB in cabin loud depending upon the road surface. So I figure if I get the same 53K out of the Pirellis and they’re 1dB quieter, it’s a win.

Man, I don't doubt your data, but PS2s are far from loud. Perhaps just loudER than the alternatives. I ran PS2s on my autocross car for years and the price premium was well worth it for a quiet tire that wore all the way down to no tread. Whereas a tire like the Star Spec would be DEAFENINGLY LOUD on the highway in its last half of life, .. but cheaper!

Is the consensus that newer VINs have less road noise than first production VINs? I thought I read somewhere that Tesla had added noise reduction material as one of the production improvements, along with different seats, better panel allignement, etc...