Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same here...

I'd absolutely sacrifice range for less cabin noise.

I think the trunk lid could use some sound deadening. Noise in the back seats is rather pronounced and it appears to be coming from the trunk area.

I insulated the trunk lid and trunk floor with Noico, not hard to do. I may have made a difference in the back seat, but I didn't notice any change sitting in the front seat.

• Helpful
Reactions: Vern Padgett
I made an interesting observation the other day. I found the road noise to be significantly louder in the driver's seat than in the passenger seat. I'm rarely a passenger in my Model 3, but the other day I swapped out a few times with my wife and could not believe how much louder the road noise was when sitting in the driver's seat. I have no hypothesis yet of why that would be. Has anyone else had the same experience?

• Informative
I insulated my trunk and rear wheel wells and it didn't make much difference, I think the road noise is coming through the doors. I put some insulating material against the doors and drove around and it made a big difference, now I just need to get up the nerve to take the doors apart and put the insulating material inside. The road noise is a resonating roar that I have not noticed in other my other cars, definitely not in my Model X. It can be loud enough at highway speeds to make the trip annoying and tiring.
did you ever get your doors insulated? The road noise on this car is fairly loud, and I'd like to throw on some sound insulation if it helps.

did you ever get your doors insulated? The road noise on this car is fairly loud, and I'd like to throw on some sound insulation if it helps.
Yes, I removed the door panels, which is fairly easy if you watch the youtube videos, and covered the front doors with Noico 80. Then I slipped a large piece of Noico 80 underneath the floorboard carpet and over an exposed metal crossbeam. These modifications resulted a significant reduction in road noise. I'm a happy camper now!

Yes, I removed the door panels, which is fairly easy if you watch the youtube videos, and covered the front doors with Noico 80. Then I slipped a large piece of Noico 80 underneath the floorboard carpet and over an exposed metal crossbeam. These modifications resulted a significant reduction in road noise. I'm a happy camper now!

Great news. Would you consider this the first plan of attack? More so than then trunk or other locations?

So you basically removed the front seats and carpet to access the floor board? I feel like most of the road noise is coming from the bottom of the vehicle.

Great news. Would you consider this the first plan of attack? More so than then trunk or other locations?
You can
So you basically removed the front seats and carpet to access the floor board? I feel like most of the road noise is coming from the bottom of the vehicle.

No need to remove the seats or carpet, I just removed the plastic interior trim piece above the rocker panel (next to the seat) and lifted the carpet up and slipped in a full piece of Noico 80 over the exposed cross beam. Most of the area under the carpet is well insulated, but the cross beam is exposed and radiates road noise into the cabin. I did not take the paper backing off the Noico 80 so it was easier to slip in and install. I also applied small pieces of Noico 80 to all the exposed metal under the Rocker Panel trim pieces. It will take you about 20 minutes a side. The doors take longer.

You can

No need to remove the seats or carpet, I just removed the plastic interior trim piece above the rocker panel (next to the seat) and lifted the carpet up and slipped in a full piece of Noico 80 over the exposed cross beam. Most of the area under the carpet is well insulated, but the cross beam is exposed and radiates road noise into the cabin. I did not take the paper backing off the Noico 80 so it was easier to slip in and install. I also applied small pieces of Noico 80 to all the exposed metal under the Rocker Panel trim pieces. It will take you about 20 minutes a side. The doors take longer.

Great tip. A few quick questions....

Does Noico smell at all?
In the assembly pics I've seen it doesn't appear there is any insulation on the floor pan....are you saying your car had insulation on the pan except for the cross beam that you noted?
Have you attempted any insulation of the frunk panel/shock towers?

Great tip. A few quick questions....

Does Noico smell at all?
In the assembly pics I've seen it doesn't appear there is any insulation on the floor pan....are you saying your car had insulation on the pan except for the cross beam that you noted?
Have you attempted any insulation of the frunk panel/shock towers?

Noico has no smell. Yes, I found insulation on the floor pan in the limited areas I looked, but the crossbeam, which is the bump under your legs when you sit in the car, did not. I didn't insulate the frunk area because I figured, if the cabin is well insulated, then it would not be necessary to insulate any areas outside of the cabin.

• Informative
You can

Did you take any pictures?