Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin or battery heating sometimes powered only by 12V battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Matias

Apr 2, 2014
Finland
Is cabin or battery heating sometimes powered by 12V battery and not by main battery? I suspect this because when I enter my car and it has cabin heating on I sometimes hear the clear click sound which I believe is the main battery contactors closing. So this would suggest, that the main battery is not online even at least the cabin heater is on. Is this true?

No. Those heaters are only HV powered.

The fans are 12v though.. .so those could run with the HV contactors disengaged if the cabin was already up to temp.

Also are you connected to shore power? The car will draw preconditioning power there if it can. While I've never explicitly tested it, I suspect that the car can keep the HV out of the loop in that scenario.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Nope. Fans only. I can speak from experience: A couple of years ago, my main HV contactors blew out when I was on my way home one cold winter day. I lost the traction motor and heat, but all of the usual 12v stuff stayed on, including the HVAC fan.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H