Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin Overheat 154F

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone seen their MX cabin temp go this high?

Mine has been parked outside for a couple days, not driven and I had a quick look at the internal temperature as it is a sunny day.

My car is always connected with power saving switched off, and my cabin overheat protection is on.

To my surprise I saw the temp at 154 F (67.6 degrees Celsius).

I manually turned on the AC and keep checking now. It keeps rising well above the stated cabin overheat temp until I manually turn the AC on again.

I guess the cabin overheat does not work as advertised after a while of not using the car?

Whatever the case may be, Tesla needs to fix this with a software update, the interior will be fried soon at these temperatures.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170527-215906.png
    Screenshot_20170527-215906.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 175
I started a thread on this under the Model S forum and ended up talking to Tesla about it for clarification ( Is your Cabin Overheat Protection coming on? ). It's not like preconditioning where you can program it to come on if you are not there. And you can't turn it on remotely from your Tesla app. You need to physically sit in the driver seat and it will activate the Cabin Overheat Protection for 12 hours after leaving the vehicle if set to be on (Controls > Settings > Vehicle > Cabin Overheat Protection > ON). It will turn off if the battery gets to 20%. I watched the cabin temperature over several hours for two days to see how the temperature fluctuated and it tops out at around 104-105F. How much it cools down and how rapidly will depend on the ambient temperature. The amount of range we lost over 6 hours or so was about 10mi in low 90F, full sun weather. On cooler days the loss of range was better and the interior cabin temperature didn't fluctuate much but hovered in the low 100F range.

I'd love to see COP remotely activated with the app; but it was designed to protect kids/pets left in car once you drove and left the car so I understand the trigger being the driver's seat. Typical scenario we unfortunately hear too often is parent has baby in car seat in back leaves for work and forgets to drop kid off at daycare and leaves the car only to return at end of day when it's too late. We don't have kids at home or pets but do live inland where outdoor temps can be in the 90-100+ range and I'd like to use COP to protect the car's interior, our dash cams, and the display's screen.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info SMAlset, yea you have valid points.

Maybe if they can even add a feature to have cabin overheat as "always on" it would be great.

Personally, I don't mind giving up some battery power to always have the feature active. If anything, the car's interior would greatly benefit from this.

Reactions: SMAlset
Thanks for the info SMAlset, yea you have valid points.

Maybe if they can even add a feature to have cabin overheat as "always on" it would be great.

Personally, I don't mind giving up some battery power to always have the feature active. If anything, the car's interior would greatly benefit from this.
The Stats: for Model S/X app is supposed to let you schedule heating and A/C. Maybe you could schedule it to come on after the 12 hours are up.

Another question.....my X was only 97 degrees and parked for 6 hours or so. But when I opened the passenger door, something kicked in sounding like a jet revving its engines and a yellow image (attached) appeared. As soon as I shut the passenger door, it went off. Then I opened the driver door, nothing. Walked back to passenger side, something revved up and the yellow image re-appeared again until I shut the door. Any insight ?

Attachments

• IMG_0187.JPG
    IMG_0187.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0188.JPG
    IMG_0188.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 128
Don't we have that already by going into the smart phone app and setting the cabin temperature to whatever you want? Or perhaps I am misunderstanding your request.

No that will give you something different and it's important to note how the two temperature controls differ. Using the app to remotely turn on your AC will only keep it on for 30 minutes at your preset temperature. So you'd have to keep setting the app every half hour. The Cabin Overheat Protection will keep adjusting the temp in the cabin automatically downward a number of degrees once it reaches 105F, then lets it rise back up to the 105F range and then cools it back down again, over and over, for 12 hours max as long as the cabin reaches that upper level. Must be triggered physically by having sat in the drivers seat.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: FlyF4
I've seen it way over the limit several times - always the first time I checked in with the car using a remote app that day, and the temperature always comes back to the ~105 range without my taking action if I watch for a few minutes.

If I wait a couple more hours and check again, the temperature is still near 105.

My theory is that if the car has enough time to go to sleep before the cabin reaches high temperatures, cabin overheat never comes on because the car is asleep. (At least under 17.14.35.)

• Helpful
Reactions: Cyclone
I've seen it way over the limit several times - always the first time I checked in with the car using a remote app that day, and the temperature always comes back to the ~105 range without my taking action if I watch for a few minutes.

If I wait a couple more hours and check again, the temperature is still near 105.

My theory is that if the car has enough time to go to sleep before the cabin reaches high temperatures, cabin overheat never comes on because the car is asleep. (At least under 17.14.35.)
I don't understand, isn't 105° the temperature the cabin protection feature is supposed to maintain, or rather not exceed?

I don't understand, isn't 105° the temperature the cabin protection feature is supposed to maintain, or rather not exceed?

Yes, but if the car is asleep, the temperature sensor may be inactive (or at least the process asking the sensor what the temp is) and thus, the cabin overheat protection never gets a chance to sleep unless it happens to wake up while the car is overheated.

Yes, it is. And it does - once the car is awake.

On a typical clear spring day here, I'll park the car near sunrise at maybe 50F outside and 70F inside and walk away. The car will lock itself and go to sleep.

As the sun heats the car, it will eventually become a great deal warmer than 105F inside, even though the outside temperature is only getting into the 70s or 80s.

Cabin overheat doesn't appear to engage for me until after the first time I view the car's status on my phone that day; after that it faithfully holds the temperature limit.

Thus the theory that the car going to sleep is a factor.

Yes, it is. And it does - once the car is awake.

On a typical clear spring day here, I'll park the car near sunrise at maybe 50F outside and 70F inside and walk away. The car will lock itself and go to sleep.

As the sun heats the car, it will eventually become a great deal warmer than 105F inside, even though the outside temperature is only getting into the 70s or 80s.

Cabin overheat doesn't appear to engage for me until after the first time I view the car's status on my phone that day; after that it faithfully holds the temperature limit.

Thus the theory that the car going to sleep is a factor.
So how high had the temperature gotten when you checked the status on your phone? You can schedule actions on a computer that will take place at a time when the computer is asleep. The computer still gets waked and the action takes place. I would think here that even if the car is asleep, the sensors would still be active and would wake the car if conditioning needed to take place due to rising temperatures. But maybe that's not the case if you're seeing higher temperatures than 105°.

So how high had the temperature gotten when you checked the status on your phone? You can schedule actions on a computer that will take place at a time when the computer is asleep. The computer still gets waked and the action takes place. I would think here that even if the car is asleep, the sensors would still be active and would wake the car if conditioning needed to take place due to rising temperatures. But maybe that's not the case if you're seeing higher temperatures than 105°.

I don't think there's any limit. The highest I've seen so far this spring is 136F.

As I mentioned above, when I saw the 136F, I also watched it drop back to 104 over the next few minutes, and when I looked in again a couple hours later, it was still showing ~105F.