TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Cabin Overheat Long Term Input Needed

Discussion in 'Texas' started by DeadHead616, May 1, 2019.

1. DeadHead616

DeadHead616 Member

Hi all,

Several of us up in the Great Lakes region were discussing cabin overheat stuff and someone suggested that it’s main purpose is to keep the computer from overheating during the summer.
    So, my question is:

Has anyone who DOESN’T use cabin overheat and has subjected their computer/interior to extreme high temps had any issues? Wondering if keeping your computer at 150-170 all day, all summer is causing problems in the long run?

Thanks in advance for any info.

.......DeadHead616 from MI.

2. bollar

bollar Disgruntled Member

Cabin Overheat Protection is a relatively new feature and I never had any overheating problems before it was introduced. Also note that Cabin Overheat Protection isn't available if you have the new security system (It's forced off when security is on). The Blackvue dash cam on the other hand, is quick to overheat without Cabin Overheat Protection.

• Informative x 1
  3. DeadHead616

DeadHead616 Member

Good info. Thanks. When you say ‘new security system’, I assume you’re talking about Sentry mode? Is there something else I don’t have yet? (Pending an update)

4. bollar

bollar Disgruntled Member

No, I mean the "Enhanced Anti Theft" system like Model X Enhanced Anti-Theft

• Like x 1
  5. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

Move from the Great Lakes Region to the South and then look at the feature.

Just being able to keep the items in the car a little cooler is a big feature.

6. dogldogl

dogldogl Member

I have been experiencing a problem, now that cabin overheat is disabled (after installing enhanced anti theft) my autopilot will be unavailable upon returning to drive the car subsequent to it reaching high cabin temperature (147F). Though no warning messages are presented upon startup, both cruise & autopilot features are unavailable when requested.

I suspect it’s either the computer or camera array (no surround vehicles / lane lines are visualized on the instrument cluster).

Mobile service will investigate in a couple of weeks but I’m keen to hear if anyone else has experienced similar symptoms.

7. Rangenv

Rangenv Member

Just curious on what the mobile service came up with? I was in Palm Springs last week and did not enable the cabin overheat feature. It was about 115 degrees outside and clearly way over that inside the vehicle. As you said, there was no warning messages to indicate anything was wrong. When I jumped on the freeway, I got the message that AP wasn’t available. Drove two hours and it was still unavailable. It didn’t come back up the next day.

After reading a few posts, I believe AP was disabled because of the excessive heat.

8. pebkac

pebkac New Member

Just put fan mode on and not AC and you should be fine

9. dogldogl

dogldogl Member

General consensus is : because the GPU is busy (hot) during sentry mode, when the cabin gets hot, the absence of cabin overheat protection [disabled because of enhanced anti-theft] exacerbates the GPU heat issue & thereafter the AP computer underclocks relevant portions of the system which means no AP functions when returning to a vehicle that became hot while sentry was active. FWIW This behavior noted on hardware 2.0 (not sure if 2.5 uses 2nd GPU for sentry only or if AP cooling is different for 2.0 vs 2.5). Hopefully 3.0 solves this limitation.

10. Rangenv

Rangenv Member

Thanks for the reply. I returned to Palm Springs and enabled the overheat feature and disabled sentry mode. When I returned, I found no issues with AP. The last time I had to drive two hours on SoCal congested freeways with no AP. It was painful to say the least.