Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin Overheat Long Term Input Needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Several of us up in the Great Lakes region were discussing cabin overheat stuff and someone suggested that it’s main purpose is to keep the computer from overheating during the summer.
So, my question is:

Has anyone who DOESN’T use cabin overheat and has subjected their computer/interior to extreme high temps had any issues? Wondering if keeping your computer at 150-170 all day, all summer is causing problems in the long run?

Thanks in advance for any info.

.......DeadHead616 from MI.

Cabin Overheat Protection is a relatively new feature and I never had any overheating problems before it was introduced. Also note that Cabin Overheat Protection isn't available if you have the new security system (It's forced off when security is on). The Blackvue dash cam on the other hand, is quick to overheat without Cabin Overheat Protection.

• Informative
Reactions: DeadHead616
I have been experiencing a problem, now that cabin overheat is disabled (after installing enhanced anti theft) my autopilot will be unavailable upon returning to drive the car subsequent to it reaching high cabin temperature (147F). Though no warning messages are presented upon startup, both cruise & autopilot features are unavailable when requested.

I suspect it’s either the computer or camera array (no surround vehicles / lane lines are visualized on the instrument cluster).

Mobile service will investigate in a couple of weeks but I’m keen to hear if anyone else has experienced similar symptoms.

I have been experiencing a problem, now that cabin overheat is disabled (after installing enhanced anti theft) my autopilot will be unavailable upon returning to drive the car subsequent to it reaching high cabin temperature (147F). Though no warning messages are presented upon startup, both cruise & autopilot features are unavailable when requested.

I suspect it’s either the computer or camera array (no surround vehicles / lane lines are visualized on the instrument cluster).

Mobile service will investigate in a couple of weeks but I’m keen to hear if anyone else has experienced similar symptoms.
Just curious on what the mobile service came up with? I was in Palm Springs last week and did not enable the cabin overheat feature. It was about 115 degrees outside and clearly way over that inside the vehicle. As you said, there was no warning messages to indicate anything was wrong. When I jumped on the freeway, I got the message that AP wasn’t available. Drove two hours and it was still unavailable. It didn’t come back up the next day.

After reading a few posts, I believe AP was disabled because of the excessive heat.

Just curious on what the mobile service came up with? I was in Palm Springs last week and did not enable the cabin overheat feature. It was about 115 degrees outside and clearly way over that inside the vehicle. As you said, there was no warning messages to indicate anything was wrong. When I jumped on the freeway, I got the message that AP wasn’t available. Drove two hours and it was still unavailable. It didn’t come back up the next day.

After reading a few posts, I believe AP was disabled because of the excessive heat.
General consensus is : because the GPU is busy (hot) during sentry mode, when the cabin gets hot, the absence of cabin overheat protection [disabled because of enhanced anti-theft] exacerbates the GPU heat issue & thereafter the AP computer underclocks relevant portions of the system which means no AP functions when returning to a vehicle that became hot while sentry was active. FWIW This behavior noted on hardware 2.0 (not sure if 2.5 uses 2nd GPU for sentry only or if AP cooling is different for 2.0 vs 2.5). Hopefully 3.0 solves this limitation.

General consensus is : because the GPU is busy (hot) during sentry mode, when the cabin gets hot, the absence of cabin overheat protection [disabled because of enhanced anti-theft] exacerbates the GPU heat issue & thereafter the AP computer underclocks relevant portions of the system which means no AP functions when returning to a vehicle that became hot while sentry was active. FWIW This behavior noted on hardware 2.0 (not sure if 2.5 uses 2nd GPU for sentry only or if AP cooling is different for 2.0 vs 2.5). Hopefully 3.0 solves this limitation.

Thanks for the reply. I returned to Palm Springs and enabled the overheat feature and disabled sentry mode. When I returned, I found no issues with AP. The last time I had to drive two hours on SoCal congested freeways with no AP. It was painful to say the least.