Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin Overheat...or Not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Gang,
It's supposed to hit 97 and sunny here today, and turned off COHP for the first time. (i may switch it back on). I've had the car since January, and even when it's 60 ot 70 out the COHP would trigger. Until yesterday, i would mostly leave the windows vented as well on clear days, but someone suggested you dont' leave your windows vented with AC on (unless you're initially clearing out the heat) so I figured that made sense.
Anyway, I can see the advantage of COHP being a comfy cabin, maybe if i left chapstick/blistex in there it wouldn't turn into a puddle like my past cars, and maybe, MAYBE it's better for the interior (less likelihood of cracking?)
But I also saw a roughly 6% battery drop yesterday from the AC running.
So, in a nutshell, does anyone have a suggestion why it would be a bad thing to leave COHP off?
I can ask the car to fire up the AC 10 minutes before i leave for the day.
I'd greatly appreciate any thoughts on this...and if the the general thoughts are leave it on, that's fine - it's just a click away.
Thanks so much!
PS 9:07 a.m., interior is 93, exterior is 94.

...even when it's 60 ot 70 out the COHP would trigger...
Of course, that's what the greenhouse effect is about. It can be freezing outside but cooked inside.
...suggestion...
Before Tesla, I didn't have such protection, so it's not a new habit if you don't use it.

However, ever since Tesla offered it, I've been using it.

My concern is heat is not friendly to things I left in there. It's also not friendly to electronics.

The downside is it costs money to use the feature, but I can afford it.

thanks for the replies. I "wimped out" today and re-enabled it shortly after posting. And the app claims it was 106 outside (weather said i think a high of 97) but maybe the sun hitting the car "somewhere" had something to do with that.
I lose about 7 or 8% because of the protection, but have peace of mind. I guess I'd shut if I needed the range and didn't see superchargers along my route for a long trip.
Thanks again!

I started to enable it just few weeks ago and encountered bunch of weird configuration issues.
I have subsequently settled to just air and no AC. Lowering the cabin temp down to around 105 degree F is overkill IMO. With outside temp about 80F, my cabin gets to 130+F. I think it's not harmful to electronics at that temp. Not sure about longer term though. I wish the desirable temp is adjustable. Since it's not, I don't feel it's worth the stress/cycle on battery every summer (it only makes sense to preserve interior if you turn it on every summer).

I started to enable it just few weeks ago and encountered bunch of weird configuration issues.
I have subsequently settled to just air and no AC. Lowering the cabin temp down to around 105 degree F is overkill IMO. With outside temp about 80F, my cabin gets to 130+F. I think it's not harmful to electronics at that temp. Not sure about longer term though. I wish the desirable temp is adjustable. Since it's not, I don't feel it's worth the stress/cycle on battery every summer (it only makes sense to preserve interior if you turn it on every summer).
Cabin Overheat Protection isn't designed to protect the electronics and interior. If that was the goal, it wouldn't turn off after 12 hours.

It's to keep the vehicle more comfortable to you as a returning passenger (without having to manually turn climate control on), and possibly to protect a living thing that was accidently left in the vehicle (pet/child).

So, I wasn’t paying attention with my S during the one summer I had it enough to factor that in. But, in the one summer month that I’ve had my M3 in the mid-Atlantic, COP has been a big plus and—though I know it chews some electricity during the day—I haven’t noticed it enough to switch it off. That said (and this is even with a windshield reflective screen), the temperature control is not enough to keep my iPhone from getting so hot that it doesn’t slow down when I try to use it when I get in the car. (Yes, I know I can ceramic tint windows, etc; I’ll probably do that.)

Bottom line: for the moment, it’s something I’d rather do than not.

PS. It’d be nice for Tesla to actually say what the goal of COP is (Eg electronics protection, comfort, etc)

I have subsequently settled to just air and no AC

Does the Refresh S offer this option?

A friend of mine who has a Model 3 suggested setting COP to not use AC and just the vent fan, but I haven't been able to find that option.

In my case it seems to just use the fan anyway, but we don't get crazy heat up here so maybe it only kicks in the AC if fan only isn't sufficient?

Cabin Overheat Protection isn't designed to protect the electronics and interior. If that was the goal, it wouldn't turn off after 12 hours.

It's to keep the vehicle more comfortable to you as a returning passenger (without having to manually turn climate control on), and possibly to protect a living thing that was accidently left in the vehicle (pet/child).
I understand a feature has its intended usage. It doesn't mean I as the consumer (paying owner) couldn't use it for my intention. Apolo 13 landing module wasn't intend to be a life supporting module either.
Having a car sitting under hot summer many years cause interior to degrade much faster. It happened to me on all my previous cars. Even good quality controlled Japanese cars' interior start to show deterioration after 10 years.
I intend to keep my car until it dies. I don't flip cars; therefore, any tricks/features that slow down the aging process is worth a try imo. My car cabin is my pet. Plus it's a SW adjustable feature. It works perfectly for my usage if I could adjust the temp to say 125...

A feature designer often dreamed up a scenario to justify the feature. If the driver forgot and leave something in the car that cant' handle high temp, why would the driver remember to turn on the feature? Remote climate control is already possible, so the overheating protection feature is not meant for pets/kids left behind unwittingly. From the way this feature works, you can derive the intention was to keep cabin below 105 degree. The 12 hours was added simply to prevent battery drain. In conclusion, this is a poorly thought out feature. It's like a Uber driver dropping you off 100 feet away from your destination. :)

• Funny
Reactions: Big Earl
thanks again all - we have temperatures hitting 97 which is hot for our area, but not unusual, particularly for august. so if 97 out, i would imagine 130 plus in the sun for the interior.
it is using about 7% charge during the day (almost no shade in my parking lot) - so i didn't do the conversation to watts or $$$$ but let's say it costs $5 a day in electricity (i have no idea if that's accurate or not) - in general my short commute only uses about 6% round trip.
i think my home is .13 a kw and i have the s refresh. i figure i get about 3.5 miles per percent (despite the car being rated 405 or 406 miles).
so the question becomes, is it worth $X ($5 or whatever) to keep the car comfy during the day -- when i don't need it.
I do have it set to precondition, so roughly 30 minutes before i leave to go home, that thing is frosty anyway.
i do agree it should be "better" for the interior stuff overall.
i also don't plan to keep the car out of warranty, and may even do a flip and buy it again when the prices drop, with additional features (bearing in mind I waited a long time for this beast, refreshing multiple times daily, and generally love the car)
i think for me, i'll keep it activated unless i really need range for a given day/trip.
i did learn from another thread that i was probably swimming against the current when i kept the windows vented and overheat on - i can see that working in the spring or fall, but yeah, if the air coming out is actually say, 60 degrees, why let 97 degree air in (versus me wanting to vent 100 degree air out)
also, i did want to mention, most AC (car/home) i believe is intended to get you no more than 20 degrees cooler than ambient. with 99 out yesterday, and bright sun, the car was able to handily get to 68 degrees. Really impressive.