Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin Overheat Protection almost stranded us

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know how well this video is made. The thermometers aren't even where the kids sit. They're in full sun while the seats aren't necessarily all of the way in the sun. Also, aren't some S's better equipped with air ventilation? I know our S needs a boost of fans in the back to circulate, so I am sure it is definitely hotter in the back, but I do not think this video accurately portrays the rear temperature in an S.
if this is the case then that's likely the issue that Rich is running into as he added that seat aftermarket...apparently the rear facing seats require more than just the addition of a crash bar?

You said outside air was 102. That's the culprit. Even if you have cabin protection off, it's the battery management. In extreme heat and extreme cold, battery fan comes on to protect the battery. I don't know what extreme is but usually it corresponds to what I feel. Need to factor this in during extreme conditions.
Perfect explanation. It must be the battery management fan.

Now only if the Tesla app would pop up a warning that charge is running low, taking into account distance from current location to the nearest SC.

Yes the phone app. In my situation above, I was 9 miles away from the nearest SC with 40 miles range left. If the Tesla app had sent a notification at some random multiple like 1.5 x distance to nearest SC, I could've finished my meal sooner and gotten a charge before it ran down so low.

Are people really suggesting that losing 24 miles of rated range in just 1.5 hrs while parked in hot temps is normal even when cabin overheat protection is not active?

That would require a continuous 5+kW draw over that 90 minutes. Even if the air temp was a toasty 102F and the battery required some active cooling to keep its temperature within acceptable limits, I find that amount of power very hard to believe.

(Side note: does anyone have a link to a definitive description of the battery heating/cooling algorithms used by Tesla? E.g., at what battery temperatures is heating/cooling demanded and what are the differences (if any) between when the car is on vs off and plugged-in vs unplugged?
I've been very surprised not to be able to find anything like this so far.)

Reactions: Corbets
it's been 97F here in Atlanta. what i do is select the AC ON button after i park, THEN DIAL THE FAN DOWN TO 4 (usually it is around 9+) this keeps the car cool and mileage loss is around 3 miles an hour on X75. did this while watching a 2pm movie.

if you don't dial the fan down it'll stay at AUTO which will burn miles faster if it stays above 5 speed. when we come back to the car it will automatically reset back to auto fan speed but trust me it will keep that 4 setting if you select it after you select the keep AC on button when parked.

Are people really suggesting that losing 24 miles of rated range in just 1.5 hrs while parked in hot temps is normal even when cabin overheat protection is not active?

That would require a continuous 5+kW draw over that 90 minutes. Even if the air temp was a toasty 102F and the battery required some active cooling to keep its temperature within acceptable limits, I find that amount of power very hard to believe.

(Side note: does anyone have a link to a definitive description of the battery heating/cooling algorithms used by Tesla? E.g., at what battery temperatures is heating/cooling demanded and what are the differences (if any) between when the car is on vs off and plugged-in vs unplugged?
I've been very surprised not to be able to find anything like this so far.)
I agree. I'd be concerned, especially here in Texas. We can have sometimes upwards of 100 days over 100 degrees. That would be a terrible drain on the battery.

I have never lost more than 10 miles of rated range parked outside while im at work. my shifts are 12 hours and I live in Louisiana where its always in the high 90s with massive sunlight.

How long is your commute? When you're actively driving, you have a lot of air flow to help with the cooling. But once you stop after driving for a while with a really hot battery, I bet it takes a lot of cooling to get rid of all of that heat in the battery pack. For most Tesla drivers, after driving for a couple of hours, we're stopping at a Supercharger or a Level 2 charger to recharge right away so we wouldn't notice the range loss from the cooling.