Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin Overheat Protection didn't work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sophias_dad

Supporting Member
Jul 29, 2018
Massachusetts
So, yesterday I had my car parked outside in the sun all morning, with COP set to NO A/C. At 11:40 I happened to want to go to lunch and found(remotely) that the interior temp was 127F. The outside was only 76F, so I'm pretty sure COP was doing nothing. After a quick run out and back(11:55) I parked in the same spot all afternoon, still mostly in full sun at least until 3pm or so, but I toggled the COP setting to ON and back to NO A/C when I got out. I checked on Stacy's Mom several times in the afternoon, and she was at a constant 104F every time I looked. (Side note: "Stacy's Mom is hot." could have been said in this circumstance(!))

I assume this means that the COP setting's usage was made invalid during one of the many SW updates in the past year or two. The COP setting was reported to be NO A/C in the app when I first opened it, so the actual setting wasn't lost.

I'll certainly be paying more attention to cabin temperatures when my car is parked outside, at least for a while.

Don’t know why you are surprised, you turned the AC function of COP off - only using the fan:
Here's why I was surprised:

The outdoor air temperature was 75f or so. If any such air were being drawn into the car by the fan, it would quickly bring the temperature down from 127. It clearly wouldn't get down to 75F, but I'd expect well below 100F.

In addition to that, Stacy's Mom stayed at ~104F all afternoon, sitting in exactly the same sunny spot. This indicates to me that NO A/C is plenty capable of keeping the car cool, and I'd wager the outdoor temperature was rising all afternoon.

One theory I'd propose is that perhaps the automatic climate control had set the mode to recirculate while I was driving before parking in the morning, and COP's NO A/C mode was too stupid to set it to not-recirculate mode when it turned on as the car warmed up. I'm regretting not walking outside to check the car's behavior in person before cooling it off. I'll run an experiment or two tomorrow.

Reactions: ATPMSD
You said your car was parked all morning, when it was last driven? COH protection is only active 12 hours. It is for when you drive your car out to work or shop so the car kept cool when you are ready to come home. It almost never work at home when your car has not been driven overnight.

I drove it to work(from work!) for the first time in two+ years. It had been parked for maybe four hours when it reached 127F inside.

I also just did a test of the same stuff. Parked at 12:45 in the sun at 81F, within an hour it was 111f inside and making no effort to cool itself. There were no fan sounds at all.

Some experiments:

Fer fun I turned on camp mode with manually disabling the AC and fan on 5, it fairly quickly reached 95 or so and was continuing to drop.

At fan speeds 1-3, its very hard to hear the fan from outside the car, so I taped a chunk of paper towel such that it would flutter and be visible without opening a door. This produced confirmation that NO AC is really 'off', there was zero flow.

I hopped in the car at 111F and set COP to ON, then back to NO AC. Sadly it wasn't really hot enough to tell whether it kept the fan running because of COP or just takes 20 seconds after I got out of the car for the automatic AC shutdown to complete, and the temperature was below 105.

Currently I'm actively watching Stacy's Mom get hotter by the minute, back to 108, no sign of any cooling/fan at all.

Turned COP to ON via the app, with interior temperature at 109..... it continues to rise, so even ON doesn't work. COP is completely nonfunctional.

I wonder if the Ghost upgrade is getting in the way. I assume not, since its probably only hanging out on the control-the-motors path.

Now at 111F, and I'm getting more glad by the minute I have a garage to park in.

So, a few things have happened. I messed with the car color in the toybox over the weekend, and almost immediately my screen hard-froze, I did the two-thumbwheel-reset(first time in like a year) and things were fine after that, with the screen.

Surprisingly, I parked in the sun today and monitored the car from time to time. Sure enough, it stayed below 105F, and clearly displayed "cabin oveheat protection active" or something similar below the temperature in the app.

Reactions: tm3lrawd
I wonder if COP is a setting that is different depending on the profile?....

Have you checked the app to see whether or not COP is actually showing as active in there?

The obvious next step to test is switching it to A/C on.

I wonder if COP is a setting that is different depending on the profile?....

Have you checked the app to see whether or not COP is actually showing as active in there?

The obvious next step to test is switching it to A/C on.
I'm the only one that drives Stacy's Mom, and consequently COP has always been enabled, almost exclusively set to "No A/C".

I did indeed check the app... The setting in climate is consistent with the setting in the car's display. The 'Climate' section on the main page of the Tesla app never showed Cabin Overheat Protection Active until after the reset, as I described.

I had already done plenty of experiments as documented in message #5 where I tried both "No A/C" and "On", always to no avail.

Reactions: Durzel
My Cabin Overheat Protection used to work great, but around 2 update ago, it isn't working. Today, I drove the car around 11:45am and parked at home with it charging and by 1pm the car was over 120f. I have COH with A/C selected on my phone and verified it it is showing as selected in the car as well. I have a windshield sun shield and the car still gets over 120 during the day. The one thing I don't have on it auto climate. When ever I try using it, the fan stays on level 10 and is too loud. Any suggestions? I put in a service request, but my thought is this is a software issue.

My Cabin Overheat Protection used to work great, but around 2 update ago, it isn't working. Today, I drove the car around 11:45am and parked at home with it charging and by 1pm the car was over 120f. I have COH with A/C selected on my phone and verified it it is showing as selected in the car as well. I have a windshield sun shield and the car still gets over 120 during the day. The one thing I don't have on it auto climate. When ever I try using it, the fan stays on level 10 and is too loud. Any suggestions? I put in a service request, but my thought is this is a software issue.
COP worked fine again today for me.

Regarding your fan in auto climate, it may run at max for a short time, but should settle down to a quiet speed once the cabin is at the desired temperature. Does the climate screen actually say '10' for the fan speed when its set to auto? Have you tried setting the temperature to very low or very high(but not LO or HI) to see if the cabin temperature sensor is bad? What does the app say is the cabin temperature is vs what the HVAC setting is?