Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin Overheat Protection doesn't work, never has.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my 2021 MYLR since October and Cabin Overheat Protection has never worked for me. I've tried both 'A/C OFF' and 'ON' and neither works. The app and touchscreen in the car both show the same setting so no issue there. And I understand it's only the first 12 hours and 20%+ battery. I watch the temp go past 105F and into the 120s sometimes, and nothing happens. The cabin temp sensors definitely seem accurate.

I've tried rebooting a number of times over the past few weeks. New updates haven't fixed it. *One* time when turning COP off and then on in my app, it started working (I got the notification that it turned on) and it cooled the car off, but after that it never worked again.

I've read all the other TMC threads I could find but couldn't find any solutions. I'd like to avoid a service appt if possible, so any suggestions welcome. Thanks.

When you say it doesn't work, are you relying on a notification on your phone or are you standing next to the car to listen if the AC system is working? I don't think there is a notification for that. The inside temperature could go high for a while until the system brings it back down again. Unless your car is already awake because of sentry, it might take a little while before the car wakes up because of a high temperature state. Cabin overheat protection doesn't guarantee that the car will never go higher than 105F, it triggers sometime after the car goes over that temp and brings it back down under 105F if it can.

When you say it doesn't work, are you relying on a notification on your phone or are you standing next to the car to listen if the AC system is working? I don't think there is a notification for that. The inside temperature could go high for a while until the system brings it back down again. Unless your car is already awake because of sentry, it might take a little while before the car wakes up because of a high temperature state. Cabin overheat protection doesn't guarantee that the car will never go higher than 105F, it triggers sometime after the car goes over that temp and brings it back down under 105F if it can.
There is a notification. But yes, I watch the temp go right past 105 and climb steadily into the 120s and no sounds from the car. It will stay in the 120s all day until the sun goes down. And my car is already awake because I'm in the app looking at the cabin temp.

And you know about the 12h and the 20% SOC conditions so that's not it either. Do you have multiple profiles on the car? If there are other cell phones registered, they could auto-switch the profile for one that has COP disabled. I can't think of anything else at the moment.

Try turning off overheat protection and see how hot the car gets. I think it would get quite a bit hotter than 120 depending on the amount of sun.
It is effectively off, since it doesn’t work. It gets to 120s with a windshield visor when it’s around 70F and sunny out. It’s in the sun from like 2pm on. On hotter days it’ll get into 130s.

And FYI all the HVAC / AC functions work perfectly fine while driving.

It is effectively off, since it doesn’t work. It gets to 120s with a windshield visor when it’s around 70F and sunny out. It’s in the sun from like 2pm on. On hotter days it’ll get into 130s.

And FYI all the HVAC / AC functions work perfectly fine while driving.
Definitely schedule service, that shouldn't happen and you could end up with a much bigger issue if not addressed...

I've had my 2021 MYLR since October and Cabin Overheat Protection has never worked for me. I've tried both 'A/C OFF' and 'ON' and neither works. The app and touchscreen in the car both show the same setting so no issue there. And I understand it's only the first 12 hours and 20%+ battery. I watch the temp go past 105F and into the 120s sometimes, and nothing happens. The cabin temp sensors definitely seem accurate.

I've tried rebooting a number of times over the past few weeks. New updates haven't fixed it. *One* time when turning COP off and then on in my app, it started working (I got the notification that it turned on) and it cooled the car off, but after that it never worked again.

I've read all the other TMC threads I could find but couldn't find any solutions. I'd like to avoid a service appt if possible, so any suggestions welcome. Thanks.
Are you turning the COP on with the app or on the screen in the car?

After futzing around a bit, I may have gotten it to work. I set it to ON and I can see that it's activated in the app (see pic) and it's keeping the temp below 105F. I've only had it on NO A/C previously, and it's possible it's actually been "working" and I just haven't realized it. When I change it to NO A/C, that indication goes away (I don't see 'Cabin Overheat Protection' under the interior temp). Is that the case for you all?

I assumed that NO A/C meant it would still use the heat pump to cool it down, it just wasn't using the A/C compressor to dehumidify. But I was chatting with a tech through the app and he said NO A/C actually just uses the fan to blow the hot air around, and doesn't do much to cool it down. Why would blowing the hot around be helpful at all? If that's what was actually happening, it certainly did nothing to control the temp. Is it possible that it would actually take cool air in from outside, but doesn't because I have my climate set to recirculate when I leave the car?

Last question: it doesn't appear that Cabin Overheat Protection uses shore/outlet power when the car is plugged in. Whereas when I turn climate on through the app, it does (the lights on the mobile connector are active). It's too bad COP doesn't use shore power. Although it seems like the fan is running at a much lower speed than when main climate is on. Probably doesn't need much juice to simply keep it in the 90-100F range.

Attachments

• IMG_5172.PNG
    IMG_5172.PNG
    547.6 KB · Views: 654
Last edited:
Reactions: WhiteWi
The heat pump IS your AC. Instead of just cooling, a heat pump can also heat. No heat pump means no AC. Pushing air from outside the car into the car should help somewhat, unless air outside is alao over 105F... That option is just to spend less energy.
I know the heat pump can heat. But does no AC mean the heat pump can't cool? I've used climate while driving w/o AC and I thought it cooled it down, but maybe I'm not remembering right.

Does NO A/C setting for COP effectively keep the temp down for those who use that option? Is pulling in outside air what this option actually does?

I know the heat pump can heat. But does no AC mean the heat pump can't cool? I've used climate while driving w/o AC and I thought it cooled it down, but maybe I'm not remembering right.

Does NO A/C setting for COP effectively keep the temp down for those who use that option? Is pulling in outside air what this option actually does?
In my experience no ac doesn’t do much to help lower the temps but ac option brings temps from 120f another day to 98f in my M3 when I tested out. No AC is just circulating outside air in your car with fan.

Reactions: Benito1283
After futzing around a bit, I may have gotten it to work. I set it to ON and I can see that it's activated in the app (see pic) and it's keeping the temp below 105F. I've only had it on NO A/C previously, and it's possible it's actually been "working" and I just haven't realized it. When I change it to NO A/C, that indication goes away (I don't see 'Cabin Overheat Protection' under the interior temp). Is that the case for you all?

I assumed that NO A/C meant it would still use the heat pump to cool it down, it just wasn't using the A/C compressor to dehumidify. But I was chatting with a tech through the app and he said NO A/C actually just uses the fan to blow the hot air around, and doesn't do much to cool it down. Why would blowing the hot around be helpful at all? If that's what was actually happening, it certainly did nothing to control the temp. Is it possible that it would actually take cool air in from outside, but doesn't because I have my climate set to recirculate when I leave the car?

Last question: it doesn't appear that Cabin Overheat Protection uses shore/outlet power when the car is plugged in. Whereas when I turn climate on through the app, it does (the lights on the mobile connector are active). It's too bad COP doesn't use shore power. Although it seems like the fan is running at a much lower speed than when main climate is on. Probably doesn't need much juice to simply keep it in the 90-100F range.
As other people mentioned, heat pump is the AC. No AC means it only uses fans. If the car however is only recirculating air that is worthless, it needs to draw air into the car (which I would hope it is smart enough to do, even if recirculate was on previously). However just fan alone may not be enough to keep car cool especially if sitting in the sun for hours (in the same way car still starts creeping up in temp when using fan only when driving for a long time in the sun, especially at low speeds).

I just went to get something from my car. Didn't mess with climate or COP setting. Five minutes later the interior is back up to 118F and COP hasn't kicked in. It's set to ON. Either there's something screwy with my COP or there's something I'm really not understanding. Maybe I'll just leave it off and find something else to worry about.

I just went to get something from my car. Didn't mess with climate or COP setting. Five minutes later the interior is back up to 118F and COP hasn't kicked in. It's set to ON. Either there's something screwy with my COP or there's something I'm really not understanding. Maybe I'll just leave it off and find something else to worry about.
To be honest I kept ours off and never used just to minimize vampire drain. But since work from home became norm I decided to turn it on and see how much will it drain when we do go somewhere :) After I gather my data I will see if it’s worth it to keep it on.

Reactions: Benito1283
Now it's back on. There must be some type of time limit setting or something. I'm having a carport type thing installed next week (more like a big sun shade/sail strung between steel posts) so I expect that will mostly eliminate my need for COP.

For those who use the NO A/C setting, does the 'Cabin Overheat Protection' appear below the interior temp in the app for you when active?

Last edited: