Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin overheat protection doesn't work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I updated to 24.4 today, and I left my car out in the sun. I'm pretty sure I had cabin overheat protection on, but without AC. A little later, the cabin temperature was reported as 56 C (133 F), so it doesn't seem like the overheat protection did much. Take this with a grain of salt, because I haven't been using overheat protection much before, so I don't really have any reference points to go by.

I have noticed that keeping Cabin Overheat protection on keeps the car from sleeping (it wakes up every 20 minutes). I've moved my car underground during the day while at the office, and I'm considering getting a windshield cover (already purchased non-OEM screens for the top and rear glass). Although its convenient to use power to keep the car cool, it seems like a waste of power if it can be avoided.

Reactions: insaneoctane
Not sure I see the point of the overheat protection. Why do people use it?

You can use the app to cool the car 5 mins before you get in. It only works for 12 hours anyways, so its not "protecting your electronics" as some people claim. What is the actual point? No one cared before, because no other car told you the inside temps.

Its not all the glass either, I see alot of cars with full glass tops now.

Really kinda curious on the point of it.

You can use the app to cool the car 5 mins before you get in. It only works for 12 hours anyways, so its not "protecting your electronics" as some people claim. What is the actual point? No one cared before, because no other car told you the inside temps.

Its not all the glass either, I see alot of cars with full glass tops now.

Some folks have reported warping and bubbling of their dash and other related issues. I've seen my car approach 140 degrees internally when sitting in direct sunlight, and adhesive tends to weaken its bonds. If you can keep the temperature down in the car, its going to increase the interior longevity. As you've said, the car only needs a few minutes to cool down to a comfortable temperature for us humans.

Some folks have reported warping and bubbling of their dash and other related issues. I've seen my car approach 140 degrees internally when sitting in direct sunlight, and adhesive tends to weaken its bonds. If you can keep the temperature down in the car, its going to increase the interior longevity. As you've said, the car only needs a few minutes to cool down to a comfortable temperature for us humans.

I kinda get that logic, but every other car on the road is not cooling the cabin and they are not falling apart. Just kinda wondering if there is any real point beyond theorycrafting that it "could" help.

I kinda get that logic, but every other car on the road is not cooling the cabin and they are not falling apart. Just kinda wondering if there is any real point beyond theorycrafting that it "could" help.

How do you know the interior isn't suffering some type of damage from high heat? The interior of cars could be suffering heat damage but we have just been conditioned to accept that this is part of the normal aging process for cars.

It is for safety; if you happen to forget your infant in the back seat, it could save the life of your child. This happens hundreds of times a year (inadvertently) in the US. That is the reason for the 12-hour limit - it covers most cases.

Obviously with the 12-hour limit it will have quite limited ability to protect the interior - especially for cars that are not garaged.

Reactions: bijan and Joshan
How do you know the interior isn't suffering some type of damage from high heat? The interior of cars could be suffering heat damage but we have just been conditioned to accept that this is part of the normal aging process for cars.

You are proving my point with the "could" thats what I am saying, is there proof of anything?

It is for safety, if you happen to forget your infant in the back seat, it could save the life of your child. This happens hundreds of times a year (inadvertently) in the US. That is the reason for the 12-hour limit - it covers most cases.

Obviously with the 12-hour limit it will have quite limited ability to protect the interior - especially for cars that are not garaged.

Ok this one I can see. So for people with small children it has a use!

All cars suffer deterioration from exposure to excessive heat over time. Dashboards crack, headliner glue becomes brittle and sunlight bleaches the car's interior. Keeping a car parked inside or in the shade is the best thing you can do, but short of that, minimizing temperature extremes is a good step. Teslas have a lot of expensive electronic equipment in them. Yes, they're designed to handle high temperatures, but they'll last longer in a more moderate environment.

• Informative
Reactions: WilliamG and Joshan
News story today on radio said interior car temps in sun can easily reach 130F to 170F.

As far as Cabin Overheat Protection and NOT using AC, you will get interior temps above 105F, whereas using AC will top it off at that temp. The manual specifically states this.

I’ve had pretty reliable COP in my car ( owned since 9/2018). I will “sit” in our cars in the driveway (they sit in the sun) each morning to activate COP. Do people having problems realize even if you have COP set to be on, that you still have to sit in your car for it to work each day?? This will activate it for 12 hours. This is also explained in the manual.

I have found that having my car set with a higher fan speed (like 5-6 as opposed to 2-3 for example) seems to circulate the air better in the car (naturally) and keeps the temp more even. Just a theory I have though. I recently added a SolarShade to my windshield but more for protecting the dash and wood trim. I like the car darker inside so also have Tesla’s front sunshade installed.

On thing I’m still keeping an eye on to see if this explains what I’ve observed twice recently, is where the COP doesn’t come on even after sitting in the car that morning. Saw the car was at 109F one of those times. Both times it didn’t come on after sitting in it I had opened my side doors to take something out of my car, not just exiting out of the driver’s door. When it happened the second time, it made me wonder if there’s a connection. Haven’t experimented further however.

I only installed 2019.24.4 yesterday but didn’t see any issues yesterday.

• Informative
Reactions: davedavedave

You can use the app to cool the car 5 mins before you get in. It only works for 12 hours anyways, so its not "protecting your electronics" as some people claim.

Since my car is only parked outside in high heat for ~8 hours at a time at work, yes, it is doing exactly that running COP with AC.

Now is it doing it in a way that means the electronics will last 20 years instead of 5 (relevant)... or in a way that means they'll last 100 years instead of 90 (not so relevant)? No idea. But given the net cost is literally pennies I'm ok "risking" it on the safe side.

I get that nobody was doing this in older cars- but older cars didn't have nearly so much in the way of higher end computers in them either, nor a big full-sized-tablet device as the entire interface to the car.