Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin Overheat Protection feature

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have this activated in my MX and thought that it was there to keep the cabin temperature down to bearable levels in the event that I had inadvertently left children or dogs in the car. However, these last few days the temperature has been up to 48c as it cooks in the sun and I have been grateful for smart preconditioning and remote access to kick the A/C into action before getting in to the MX.

Why is the Cabin Overheat Protection feature not keeping the temperature lower given that it is definitely set to ON ?

The alarm is set to off and charge is 80% +.

Go and try on your own Tesla if you can find some sun. Not one person can get this feature to work in the UK groups.Someone has suggested we set the units to F not C to see if that helps.....

My understanding is that the cabin overheat protection will trigger on at 105oF and drop interior temp down to 100oF (repeating as long as necessary). It works as long as the feature is set to ON and main battery is above minimum threshold (don't recall exact number). I am not aware of a time limit (unlike setting AC remotely, which has a 30 minute limit), and I doubt it matters whether alarm is set to On or Off (works on my Model S with alarm on). For me, I like the idea of actively managing the temp to reduce accelerated degradation of the interior, since I have to leave car out in the California sun while at work.

I have this activated in my MX and thought that it was there to keep the cabin temperature down to bearable levels in the event that I had inadvertently left children or dogs in the car. However, these last few days the temperature has been up to 48c as it cooks in the sun and I have been grateful for smart preconditioning and remote access to kick the A/C into action before getting in to the MX.

Why is the Cabin Overheat Protection feature not keeping the temperature lower given that it is definitely set to ON ?

You need to have sat in the car and exited it for the control to be activated. Having it set to be On isn't enough, really meant to come on for kids and pets left behind after you've driven that morning/day. After exiting the car that day it will then be triggered to come on once the temp reaches 105F. It will protect the car by keeping the temp under 105F for up to 12 hours assuming your battery level stays above 20%.

Many days our car is in our driveway and doesn't get driven until evening so when I know the temps are going to be high I will make a point of sitting in the car briefly that morning. Been checking it with the app periodically and see it reflecting the temp adjustments during the day. It stays in a fairly narrow temperature range. This is not a temperature you can set BTW. That control is for A/C and Preconditioning use--something different.

Before I learned from Tesla that I couldn't activate it by using the app but instead had to sit in the car, I saw the temps get to 116F and start to get concerned it had not come on. Someone else reported much higher temps in another thread. Even with outdoor temps in the low to mid 80sF today, the car's interior reached 105F and the cabin overheat protection (COP) came on and has been adjusting between 104-105 all late afternoon, but never seeing it above that.

Last edited: