Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin overheat protection, how to?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Bouba

Sep 23, 2021
France
Hi everyone, I’m confused by cabin overheat protection. It seems to be linked to the tilt alarm. One can’t work with the other. But my tilt alarm is greyed out (it’s on, just greyed out).
So how do I proceed ?

Hi everyone, I’m confused by cabin overheat protection. It seems to be linked to the tilt alarm. One can’t work with the other. But my tilt alarm is greyed out (it’s on, just greyed out).
So how do I proceed ?

From my understanding, reading for this question all over the internet, you are right... First of all you need to disable Sentry mode from the car, and only then you'll be able to disable the alarm. By then, you'll be able to turn on Cabin overheat protection.

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki
Upvote 0
From my understanding, reading for this question all over the internet, you are right... First of all you need to disable Sentry mode from the car, and only then you'll be able to disable the alarm. By then, you'll be able to turn on Cabin overheat protection.
Thank you...when you turn Sentry Mode back on, will cabin protection stay on? I will do the experiment but I don’t know how long it will be before I leave the car sitting in the sun

Upvote 0
SmartSelect_20220706-191813_Telegram.jpg

In conversation with the Technical Support team at the Barcelona Service Centre (the guys that broke my display and charged me €1400 for the pleasure. Sad story passim.) about Cabin Overheat Protection, a real issue here in sunny Catalunya.

They advised that you have to disable in the car (not with the app) Sentry, Dashcam and Tilt/Intrusion. Yeah, sometimes. My car keeps turning Dashcam back on randomly. Cabin temp hits 50C, I then vent the windows and put the AC on HI. I can do this because I am connected to my solar farm and juice costs me nothing when the sun shines on top of my little mountain. This was verified by the Valencia SC. It pays to get a second opinion.

With their advice I reset the car. Re-downloaded the last update. Same Old Sh!t.

After going out to the car and verifying that the Dashcam hasn't auto-enabled (and disabling it if it has), it will work. Until it doesn't.

The OP is correct that it will only work for 12 hours. Woe betide someone parked in the sun at the beach surrounded by inebriated ne're-do-wells with the hump against Tesla. No sentry, no record of intemperate actions to your pride and joy. And you will regret that chocolate bar in the glove box later on.

I wonder what temperature the vegan leather melts? Catches fire? It's OK to 50C I have discovered empiracally.

The rationale is that Sentry and Overheat would deplete the battery too much. A vandalised car depletes my insurance no claims bonus. A dilemma.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: rpiotro and Bouba
Upvote 0
So...it’s either or...got it👍
Roll the dice... I had the car parked at a lovely hotel in Banyuls on their Destination Charger for two days (no other calls for its use, no crime committed). Sentry was on. Cabin Overheat Protection functioned. If it hadn't, it could have been a tale as told by Adrian Kronaur (You born on the surface of the sun?...)

Maybe it is the fact that it was drawing energy to replace the battery hit? Maybe St Elon smiled on my seaside sojourn? Your guess is as good as mine and probably equal to that of Technical Support.

• Funny
Reactions: Bouba
Upvote 0
that was you😡.............. 😜🥰
There were two Tesla and one non-Tesla. One Tesla was always open. Some Volvo kept coming in to use the other one. No foul 🥱

I gotta say that Hotel Les Elmes is within a very short stroll of the beach, has a nice but small pool and a fantastic restaurant to watch the sun go down as the wine flows... the rooms are comfortable, not luxurious, and very reasonably priced considering (not sure what the tariff would be in July or August). Les Elmes is surrounded by vineyards and just a curvy drive from Peripignan where you can find the £££ Hotel Duflot that will also charge your car for free and serve up a fine dinner and breakie.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You can have Sentry Mode and Cabin Overheat Protection enabled at the same time. I do that all the time.
Not sure if the US and UK/European software is different... well, I know it is... but vis a vis Sentry/Overheat ??? The manual makes no reference (yup, I read it) but two different techies here in Spain insisted that it had to be OFF

Upvote 0
OK, I’m curious, going out to check right now!

Yet I have sentry on in general, with exceptions at home and the office, and cabin overheat works for me. I fail to see the relation.

Yeah, I just turned on both, in any order in the car, locked up, still on - I can do the same with the app - not seeing any sort of mode combination limits.

Unless the OP is saying it doesn't actually engage (vs. just being enabled through the software UI).

Reactions: X-pilot
Upvote 0
When I check the manual, there seems to be some reference to tilt intrusion as part of the alarm, which we do not have here in the US (at least I dont think so). Perhaps there is some combination that includes tilt intrusion on international vehicles that prevents cabin overheat protection from activating?

Upvote 0
Yeah, I just turned on both, in any order in the car, locked up, still on - I can do the same with the app - not seeing any sort of mode combination limits.

Unless the OP is saying it doesn't actually engage (vs. just being enabled through the software UI).
I'd say that a cabin temp of 50C when the Overheat Protection is set to come on at 41C is definately NOT engaging with all the Sentry, Dashcam and Tilt stuff off as it should.;)

Upvote 0
I'd say that a cabin temp of 50C when the Overheat Protection is set to come on at 41C is definately NOT engaging with all the Sentry, Dashcam and Tilt stuff off as it should.;)
I've been experimenting with it and cabin overheat protection is very fickle. One workaround people that posted that works is to log out of the app and log in again if it isn't working. Also it helps to use AC to bring the cabin temp back down below the limit before enabling cabin overheat. If cabin was already well over the set point and you enable it, it doesn't seem to work.

Also as others mentioned, if using fan-only it might not be enough to bring cabin temps down. Doing the AC version makes it very clear when it is working or not.

Upvote 0